Sign in to follow this  
navychief

"The Final Countdown"....the movie

In 1980, the movie, "The Final Countdown" was released.

It is the fictitious story of the USS Nimitz being transported back in time to just before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Obviously, the opportunities for a change to history made this quite an intriguing plot, to say the least. I saw this movie when it first came out, and loved it. Naturally, being a Navy man, I nitpicked every technical flaw I could find, but I still enjoyed it immensely!

Not too long ago, the DVD version was released. Every single message I have read concerning it says DO NOT BUY the current release of the movie in DVD format. The resolution is reportedly horrible, along with the sound.

I really do hope that a better copy is on the horizon. It really is a good movie, in my opinion.

I would like to get my hands on a decent VHS copy of the movie, if anyone out there has one.

Thanks,

Chief W.

Guest Ranger332

rember it well "MAN THEY GOING TO LET UM DO IT TO US AGAIN"

Just a bit o' note... I was on the USS Independence tied up at peir12 in Norfolk with the USS Nimitz right next to us when this movie was being filmed, I beleive it was 1978. Yes, nearly all the movie as I recall was filmed tied up to the peir on the EAST coast, hehe. I remember standing on the catwalks watching along with everyone else every morning when the actors would show up. Douglas never even acknowleded our waves or requests for autographs. All the rest of the actors and the actress did take the time to wave and sign autographs, cant remember their names. Unfortunately, I never got any sigs. And yes, it was a pretty good movie. Liked the ending, kinda weird when the old commander and his wife came back to the ship in the 80's.

From what I've seen on TV and such, I would say that as far showing what Carrier Operations are like in a movie, I think Final Countdown probably come the closest, showing such a wide variety of aircraft and such. And also nothing gets better than this line...."Roger that, Splash the Zeros, repeat, Splash the Zeros"

Oh man that movie was great. I laughed my a$$ off when the the F14s came in contact wit the Zeros. "they're shooting at us!!" That was a riot, I couldnt wait till those Tomcats opened up on them.