Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Making the AI Planes Flyable

I don't know if anybody has done this, or posted how to do so, but it is very easy to make the AI planes included with Strike Fighters flyable.

1. Go to the ObjectsAircraft directory

2. Copy the cockpit folder and loading screen bitmap of the aircraft of your choice into the folder of the AI aircraft

3. Open the *.ini file in each folder, and copy the data at the top from the original file to the AI aircraft's file. The data should look like this:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=A-4E Skyhawk

AircraftDataFile=A-4E_data.ini

CockpitDataFile=A-4E_cockpit.ini *

HangarScreen=A-4E_hangar.bmp *

LoadoutImage=A-4E_loadout.bmp *

LoadoutFile=A-4E_loadout.ini

AvionicsDLL=Avionics60.dll *

AvionicsDataFilename=A-4E_avionics.ini *

The lines marked with the * at the end are what normally needs to be copied to the AI aircraft.

Thats it, just start up a single mission and enjoy a MiG-17. The loadout screen will look like the loadout screen of whatever aircraft you copied from, but all of the weapons and skins will be for the new aircaft.

Hope you guys enjoy this.

Thanks so what do I do to get the A-4 back? just make a back up copy of the file?

No, no. You don't have to 'replace' anything. This is modifying the *.ini of each AI aircraft, and changes nothing from the original flyable aicraft. So, when you get done, EVERY SINGLE AIRCRAFT is flyable.

It would be a good idea to keep backups, though.

OK so how do I choose the new A/C to fly? sorry for all the questions and can I change the loadouts?

No problem.

I have only flown the aircraft in the Single Missions, you just select them from the drop down menu like the normal ones. I haven't fiddled with the campaigns yet, and I don't think the sim will load them for Instant Action. As for multi-player, well, it'll have to wait for HyperLobby.

The loadouts can be changed just like the normal aircraft, and the weapons will all reflect the actual aicraft. MiG-21's will use AA-2 Atolls, and O-1E's can mount HVARs, etc...

If you want, I can send you a modifed *.ini so you can directly see the changes, but it is exactly like I described it before. There really aren't any suprises or difficulties.

Oh OK I see...np after seeing and thinking about it it makes sense.Thanks.

I just hope more people see this and start making cockpits and loading screens for the aircraft.

Ok tried it but messed things up. I now have the A-4 pilot sitting on the nose of the mig lol. I was flying the mig and wondered what that was on the nose moving around. on closer inspection it was the pilot moving his head. What did I do wrong? Help. thanks

Umm, first, did you make a backup of the original aicraft? I'll paste the entire *.ini of the MiG-17 here so you can copy it into the original aicraft.

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=MiG-17F Fresco-C

AircraftDataFile=MiG-17F_data.ini

CockpitDataFile=A-4C_cockpit.ini

HangarScreen=A-4C_hangar.bmp

LoadoutImage=A-4C_loadout.bmp

LoadoutFile=MiG-17F_loadout.ini

AvionicsDLL=Avionics60.dll

AvionicsDataFilename=A-4C_avionics.ini

[LOD001]

Filename=MiG-17F.lod

Distance=100

[LOD002]

Filename=MiG-17F_lod002.lod

Distance=250

[LOD003]

Filename=MiG-17F_lod003.lod

Distance=500

[LOD004]

Filename=MiG-17F_lod004.lod

Distance=1000

[LOD005]

Filename=MiG-17F_lod005.lod

Distance=8000

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowLOD=MiG-17F_shadow.shd

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=300

[DamageTexture]

DamagedPostFix=_Holes.tga

DestroyedPostFix=_Shredded.tga

[TextureSet001]

Directory=SovietSilver1

Name=Soviet Silver

Nation=Soviet

Specular=1.00

Glossiness=0.50

Reflection=1.00

That is all the data in the file of the new MiG-17. All you need to do aside from that is copy the Cockpit folder from the A-4C, and the A-4C loadout bitmap.

If that doesn't work, email me.

If I can find good source for MiG17 or 19 cockpit pics and layout, I'll start a-modeling...

MkIX

Hehe... This is a step in the right direction (making all aircraft flyable, cockpits and loading screens for each). If somebody could work over the mission editor as well, that would be really cool... :lol:

:D

The loading screens aren't difficult to change at all, seeing as how they are only a simple bitmap.

Adding a new cockpit, however, is almost as hard as adding a whole new plane. That, I certainly cannot do.

Same here, the Migs are all working now and Im working on making some loadout and hanger BMP's. I made a post in the other forum about this question I have though...

I was wondering though about the AvionicsDLL and the AvionicsDataFileName in the various aircrafts' configuration settings that are in each aircrafts' folder. I used the A-4C avionics as well as her cockpit for the Mig-17 and -19. For the Mig-21 I used the F-104 avionics as well as cockpit. Does the avionics mean that the migs fly like F-104's and A-4's? Or is that simply a referance to the guages or something else?

I am hoping that the AircraftDataFile used in the configuration file is what holds the performance for each aircraft. Thanks...

Got your answer SD in the general discussion forum, thanks.

P.S. I have some loading BMP's and Hanger BMP's for the Mig-17, -19, and -21's which I made flyable if anyone is interested. I am NOT an artist and only had Paint to use, but they turned out usable for me. They can always be tweaked by you also.

Also, FYI, I used the A-4 cockpit and avionics for the Mig-17, and -19. I used the F-104 cockpit and avionics for the Mig-21's of which there are 3 versions. Seems to work pretty good.