Sign in to follow this  
N42-Hollywood

Hello Biohaz!

Hello all, Hollywoods here! MaddJeff seemed to be hurting for a "Hardware guy" so here I am. I have to say that when he approached me in the homeless shelter I wasn't quite sure what to think. However after offering me a Big Mac and a cot next to the Biohaz servers, well I just couldn't say no!

Seriously though, my name is Sean Kaldahl. I'm a geosciences undergrad and a former Marine. Besides my Microsoft Certified Professional and A+ certificates, I have about 900+ workstations and servers under my belt. Were gonna whip this section into shape and have fun doing it...

See you in the skies!

-Holly

What is general Hardware....is that hardware that is under $100.oo or is it hardware only a General could afford....???

Anyway I got a quick Q for ya:

I just bought an ASUS A7V8X-KT400 Mobo with a Tt Volcano 9 (coolmod) HSF. I'm gonna get an AMD 2400 here in a few weeks since the 2600/2700 release will send the prices down.

My question is this:

The Tt fan is a smart fan and can vary the RPM upon need

The Mobo is a smart mobo which can do the same....

How should I inhibit them...should I let the fan control it or the mobo? What will benefit me the most...I'm sure that letting both of them do it may have "Bad" things happen..

Let me know

<C>

How should I inhibit them...should I let the fan control it or the mobo?  What will benefit me the most...I'm sure that letting both of them do it may have "Bad" things happen..

I'm of the school of letting the fan do the work, as the mobo temp sensor never seems to be as accurate. But hey, that's just me. 8)

While I do agree with Jeff, I simply suggest hooking the fan up directly. There will be a bit of noise but you'll be at 100% cooling capacity. However if you wish to have the fan be auto-throttled...let the fan do it.

What is general Hardware....is that hardware that is under $100.oo or is it hardware only a General could afford....???

Anyway I got a quick Q for ya:

I just bought an ASUS A7V8X-KT400 Mobo with a Tt Volcano 9 (coolmod) HSF.  I'm gonna get an AMD 2400 here in a few weeks since the 2600/2700 release will send the prices down.

My question is this:

How should I inhibit them...should I let the fan control it or the mobo?  What will benefit me the most...I'm sure that letting both of them do it may have "Bad" things happen..

Let me know

<C>

Really only two choices... Let the mobo handle it, or disable the smart function and run the fan at high-speed. If you are overclocking, run the fan at high-speed at all times. If not overclocking, you may want to allow the mobo's smart fan functionality. However, if you have multiple hard drives, or you have a crowded case interior, you may want to run the fan in high-speed at all times simply to icrease the amount of air circulating inside the case. HDD's usually provide most of the heat inside the case. Stagnant non-moving air will kill your drives, CPU, and mobo. I usually leave the smart functionalityy flapping in the wind. High-speed on all fans and wear a pair of headphones to drown out the noise! :)

-Skater