is this standart now or just a test and is the sniper pod on a regular weaponstation attached ?

They are still testing it. But it will become an option once testing is done.

That looks like it's on the forward edge of one of the external hardpoints. The triangular object ahead of it is an external camera...probably for data gathering. A similiar camera mounting was used on 82-001 (The Odyessy) during early B-1B weapons testing.

Anyway, if they deploy this to the fleet, they'll have to modify the START treaty....

FastCargo

My friend's aunt flies the bone, she might be able to provide some input (if she's cleared to)

is this standart now or just a test and is the sniper pod on a regular weaponstation attached ?

^

|

|_Reality or game?

I guess its just a real photo...

What is a sniper pod?Is a pod for photo?

It would be interesting but very silly if WoV,WoE,SF had this...

Anyway, if they deploy this to the fleet, they'll have to modify the START treaty....

FastCargo

Article IV of START covers this... no rewrite necessary. all that is needed is an exhibit of the configuration to satisfy the inspectors that the station cannot be used to launch nuclear weaponry. The Sniper is a targeting pod and, like all targeting pods, is hard mounted to the airframe and cannot be jettisoned. As the Bones are primarily conventional bombers now (I'm not saying they can't be converted back to a nuclear role at some later date which is also covered by Article IV) this upgrade is essential to it's mission. The B-1 desperately needs a self designating capability and the ability to conduct its own bomb damage assesment and a limited reconnisance capability.

post-2302-1178609888_thumb.jpg

My friend's aunt flies the bone, she might be able to provide some input (if she's cleared to)

the line

"My friend's aunt flies the bone"

just sounds so wrong.

Article IV of START covers this... no rewrite necessary. all that is needed is an exhibit of the configuration to satisfy the inspectors that the station cannot be used to launch nuclear weaponry. The Sniper is a targeting pod and, like all targeting pods, is hard mounted to the airframe and cannot be jettisoned. As the Bones are primarily conventional bombers now (I'm not saying they can't be converted back to a nuclear role at some later date which is also covered by Article IV) this upgrade is essential to it's mission. The B-1 desperately needs a self designating capability and the ability to conduct its own bomb damage assesment and a limited reconnisance capability.

Interesting...will the START inspectors require inspection of the whole fleet or a representative sample. Also, I'd be curious if the pod will limit the top end of the Bone at all. Not in terms of aerodynamic drag (ie the engines have a LOT of extra power) but what the speed rating on the pod is...wouldn't be good to rip it off in flight...

FastCargo

Interesting...will the START inspectors require inspection of the whole fleet or a representative sample. Also, I'd be curious if the pod will limit the top end of the Bone at all. Not in terms of aerodynamic drag (ie the engines have a LOT of extra power) but what the speed rating on the pod is...wouldn't be good to rip it off in flight...

FastCargo

Sniper has been tested for supersonic speeds during the F-16 test period so I do not see why it would limit the top speed of the Bone. The pod is also carried by the F-15E and F/A-18C/D and E/F... well our E's and F's anyway... I'm not sure about the rest of the fleet. I've also seen them on AV-8B's. As for START, I assume a representative sample would be sufficient but it is their (the Russians) perogative as to if they want to inspect the entire fleet or not. Unless an extension is signed it will not matter in about two years anyway as the current round of treaty inspections will expire.

post-2302-1178663904_thumb.jpg

Would the Radar signiture be effected by that or not?

Would the Radar signiture be effected by that or not?

Sniper is designed to be a stealthy pod so the pylon mounting will, most likely, be designed with a lowered RCS in mind.

post-2302-1178664715_thumb.jpg

ok i just have to ask why is it called the bone??

Simple.

B-1 = B-ONE = Bone.

:)

FastCargo

Uhh... spell it out and look at it. B-one.

post-2302-1178671446_thumb.jpg

lol ok thanks guys....now i feel silly but its ok it never hurts to ask but...the answer might lol