Sign in to follow this  
Uzzar

New to FE, need advice please! :)

Hello all!

I am new to FE, but not new to WWI flight sims. I got hooked on the original Red Baron back in '95, and have played several others over the years (including RB3D).

It is not easy to find out how to buy First Eagles, I found it by accident after getting the link to Third Wire from 3dGamers. Anyway, I paid for the game, downloaded the .exe along with the patch...and now I'm looking at all these mods!

My question is this: What mods would you recommend that I install? I'm sure I should get the 512x512 terrain, but what planes are integrated into the single player game (someone said they were upgraded from a DH2 to a SpadVII during the campaign)?

Also, what detail settings should I use to get the best framerate/eyecandy ratio?

My setup:

AMD64 3400 (2.2Ghz)

1GB DDR2

GeForce 6800 (128MB)

Audigy2

Sidewinder joystick

Thanks for any and all help! :)

--Uzzar

Hello Uzzar. Welcome to CombatACE. :biggrin:

First get patched up to the latest. You will find Patch 2 here in the downloads section or at Thirdwire. It is all inclusive so you don't need the previous patch. Then you can explore the downloads section here (Downloads > Thirdwire Series > SF/WOV/WOE/WWI) for planes, FMs, and such. You can also download a bunch of planes at the A Team's site...see their forum here for registration details. Single missions can be flown with any plane you choose. The sim does a date check so you should not get mismatches like a MS L vs. a Fokker DVIIF. The stock campaign only covers 1918 and uses the stock planeset. However Firecage has modified a campaign to cover most all the planes available for FE over the entire period of the war. There are a few different terrains available from Max188's High res. remake of the stock terrain to Gepard's Vogesen, to Edward's Flanders terrain. All are excellent. As for detail levels if I were you I'd start out with everything maxed and see how the game runs.

With all detail settings on high, I don't have any slowdowns except in certain situations (lots of planes shooting, etc.). But this is with all stock planes and terrain. I will probably have to lower some of the levels with the updated terrain and planes.

I have only flown a few missions in the RAF campaign, and I'm remembering why the SE5 was never one of my favorite planes. Even on "normal" difficulty this crate just doesn't turn fast enough for me, especially when there are 3 or 4 D.V and D.VII's on my tail.

Still a very fun game, I wish I had known that it was available in the U.S. 6 months ago :blush:

I have only flown a few missions in the RAF campaign, and I'm remembering why the SE5 was never one of my favorite planes. Even on "normal" difficulty this crate just doesn't turn fast enough for me, especially when there are 3 or 4 D.V and D.VII's on my tail.

1 of the better ones for visibility from the cockpit though e.g. I find that the SPAD gives you a very limited fov.