Sign in to follow this  
p10ppy

Morane-Saulnier N “Bullet” (biggish images)

Hi P10ppy

In the COCKPIT.INI file, if you comment out (or remove) the InternalClipDistMin, the cones reappear (and so does the gunsight for that matter).

[CockpitSeat001]

ExternalClipDistMin=0.03

;InternalClipDistMin=0.01

I suppose changing the value would do fine, but I don't know the right value.

Smashing aircraft BTW!

Froggy

Nice work for sure.

The only thing im not liking is that dreaded spin lock like the Spad 7 Has.... once your in the stall spin your dead... no way of getting out of it. Still trying it against the german planes to see how it flies against the other add on planes that are out.

Great job! :clapping:

Froggy, thanks for the tip on the directional arrows. :good:

I just did a quick review of a bunch of FE cockpit.ini's to see what the InternalClipDistMin values were set to, and discovered that NONE of the cockpit.ini's included the InternalClipDistMin entries. I had thought that an existing cockpit model would provide some indication of value ranges, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the InternalClipDistMin value does, or is this a question for TK?

I just did a quick review of a bunch of FE cockpit.ini's to see what the InternalClipDistMin values were set to, and discovered that NONE of the cockpit.ini's included the InternalClipDistMin entries. I had thought that an existing cockpit model would provide some indication of value ranges, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the InternalClipDistMin value does, or is this a question for TK?

Hi NeverEnough

How do you think I found the trick ?

Froggy

Guest Charles

A great package, and a great addition to FE, thanks P10ppy.

It is very nice little aircraft. The skins and cockpit animations are particularly good.

This is a very nice complement to Laton's early-War aircraft, the Pfalz's and Fokker E-III.

And the hangar screen is, I think, just about the best I have seen.

Overall, this is a must-have!

Yep. This is one great package. Definately raises the bar. :cool: I've changed the pilot postion in the external view. Moved him slightly forward and up. Looks more like a couple of pics I found on the web. What do ya'll think?

morn.jpg

Guest Charles

Looks better to me, Tailspin.

What are the coordinates you are using for that?

Hi P10ppy.

Considering the meticulous attention to detail and overall fantastic quality of your modelling, you've produced this work of art in next to no time at all...It's absolutely brilliant mate... You're in a class of your own!

If you ask me, TK (or any other flight sim creator, come to that.) should snap you up as their main modeller. It really is that good!

You asked for opinions on the FM? Well, it is a tad easy...The Morane N was quite difficult to fly, and not very well liked by those who flew it, according to the accounts that I've read. I think it may be a little too fast, and a tad too manoeuvrable as it is, but hey, you can't be expected to get every aspect perfect all by yourself eh?

Regarding adjusting the pilot position, which is a bit too low. Open the planes DATA.INI file, scroll down to 'CREW', [Pilot], and 'Position'. The number at the end of that line reads; 62...I changed mine to 77, and it now looks about right to me.

One slight problem I'm having, is the flight leader streamers are not showing...Anyone else come across this? I'd be grateful for any help.

One last question P10ppy...Are you gonna do any more? :yes:

Thanks, and again, very well done!

Bucky.

Looks better to me, Tailspin.

What are the coordinates you are using for that?

0.0,-0.51,0.72

Hi everybody sorry I haven't replied for awhile, RL a bit hectic at the moment :dntknw:

Thanks again for all the nice words

From my perspective I think TK's planes are amazing, very inspirational.

They are much lighter on polygons and textures than mine (it's a bit of a hog really, but Lods help) and look wonderful for their in game performance.

Anyway it's not a competition, the more mods the better imho

The game wouldn't be half as fun with out all the great work of Laton, Peter, v. Deutschmark, gambit, Bortdafarm, the A team and all the others I've forgotten to mention

A lot of this stuff wouldn't be possible with out all the work done by Charles and the SF/WOV/WOE modders…. :rolleyes:

@ Froggy, Yayyyy, thanks very much for that, I'd forgotten all about doing the internalclipdistance, I did it months ago when I was struggling to bury the outside fuselage with the cockpit (think I got the parameter from a WOV plane) doesn't seem to be needed now tho, and who would have thought it would affect the target arrows… :dntknw:

@ Firecage, are you getting a lot of spins? I actually tried to keep abit of a spin in the FM (its supposed to be a nasty handler and it really isn't with this FM) I find I've got to try pretty hard to spin it (much harder than the Spad 13, but that maybe just over familiarity) but I agree the 3rd wire engine seems to make it very hard to recover from spins (I have recovered in the morane, just not very often)

@Tailspin, I like that pilot position better too, thanks :biggrin:

@ Southside Bucky, Have you added the streamer.lod thingy to your weapons folder (its actually a dummy, the streamer is a weapon pylon, long story :blink: ) and either:

Used the weapons editor to update the WEAPONDATA.dat and modded the WEAPONDATA.ini,

Or used my Weaponsdata.dat / ini?

If you have, is anyone else having this problem? (I may have forgotten a step somewhere?) :blush:

As for the FM Peter's PMed me about it (I haven't replied yet but will next)

I agree it is too easy to fly but we are back to that old conundrum of realistic vs relative / fun performance

---Long musings follow---

It was very fast for its day, and the speed at sea level is about right give or take a knot according to published data (probably with a hurricane up is bottom and a monkey for a pilot)

And bar the much superior armament of the E.III, was by all accounts a better performing aircraft than the E.III (the E.series fokkers were apparently related to the earlier G and H moranes, the N being a different beast)

It has lower wing and power loading then the E.III, and according to the Lofkin formulas lower total CD0 and a better lift/drag ratio

Given that it has a fixed vert stabilizer (I know its very tiny :wink: ) I guess it would have better directional stability too (pitch is another story)

I reversed engineered the Moi's off of TK's planes (any other formulas seemed to result in numbers miles out) and given the ridiculas empty weight, it gives a plane that quite snappy to manoeuvre, (I can post my moi formulas for discussion if anyone's interested)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being defensive, I know it's much too easy to fly

And probably too good against the early German Bi's :blink:

I guess I'm just waiting for something concrete from you guys, because I've flown it 1000s of times and can no longer tell

Anyway it is released under the creative commons licence, so all should feel free to release any mods of it they like

---Long musings stop---

What am I'm going to do next… not sure… probably not that again for a while

I'm half way through a Mod of the N to a I / V (a bit tricky the nose is quite different)

vic-wip.jpg

And I thought I might have ago of some AI only targets (I've always like the Taube)

And I started this a while ago to have a break from the morane (damned ugly tho, and there's still a lot to do on it)

voisonwip.jpg

Any suggestions? (Don't hold your breath tho I'm pretty slow :wink: )

Thanks

Edited by p10ppy

What I tend to do alot of is try and use the vertical alot so....., hammerhead kinda roll overs at the top is where I get into that death spin. I know its alot to do with how I fly. I wouldn't mind the spin if there was some way to get out of it. I tried alot fo things over and over and nothing seems to be able to correct the spin. ITs still a new plane to me so I am sure ill find a way around it after more runs in it. :clapping:

Guest Charles

I like the FM, I think it works well. It is pretty zippy, but not overpowered.

Apart from the fact that you are forever re-loading that d****d machine gun (give me a belt-fed Lewis or Spandau anyday, but this is realistic), I really like it to fly.

It really carves up the Fokker E-IIIs and early Pfalzs.

The streamers work for me - all you need is all three new files (the streamer LOD, and the WeaponsData.INI and .DAT files) in your Weapons folder.

The streamers are a nice touch, to.

All in all, this package is a treat.

Touching upon one of Charles comments, I would also like more wammo, but it is like real, which is the best.

What I do like is just looking up and knowing how many of those beautiful sounding Hotchkis bursts you'll get before reacing over the windshield to jam in another magazine.

The slightly different looking rounds are a nice touch as well. May have seen it before, but still...

Hi,

After flying the AC on a few missions on the weekend, I like the FM and it seems well balanced against the Fokkers, though I'm having a devil of a time managing to shoot anything down!!! Just having much trouble figuring out where the bullets are going... :diablo: The iron sites are certainly odd to use, especially with the "Realistic Pilot Head Motion" mod in use, but it just adds to the challenge. I love it all!!!

*** I got the AC sounds working from the get go, BUT I find the MS-N engine is too quite, and is overwhelmed by the Fokker engine sound even when they're at a distance. Does anybody else hear this as well???

Hi again P10ppy.

Yeah, TK's team are excellent, no argument there, but correct me if I'm wrong...This is your first attempt at A/C modelling, yeah? So, what would you be capable of if you were given a few pointers in the right direction? If nothing else, they should get you to do some cockpits, IMHO.

Re: Your works in progress.

A Voisin...Most excellent!

Apart from the Morane I and V, maybe the BB wouldn't be too much hassle as well?

Off the top of my head, suggestions for other early war planes would be:

Bristol Scout.

Vickers F.B.5 'Gun bus'.

F.E.8.

Caudron G.3. (French and RFC)

As for AI 'targets', how about:

AGO C.I, (The weird twin boomer...Surprisingly common in late '15 & early '16)

LVG C.II (Almost indistinguishable from the B.II. So, two planes in one!)

Albatros C.I

AEG G.IV

All in your own time of course! :rolleyes:

Re: The unrecoverable spins:

For those that don't know. Pressing the 'A' (Auto Pilot) key will work if you 'aint too close to the ground.

Re: The Morane's FM:

In the excellent reference book; 'The Aeroplanes Of The RFC', by Jack Bruce, he describes its performance thus:

"The type never became popular, however, for it combined the heavy lateral response of warping wings with the the disproportionately sensitive control provided by its 'all flying' elevators, and was considered to be difficult to fly".

Whatever, I can't stop flying it at the moment!

Regards.

Bucky.

PS. Almost forgot...I didn't particularly like the engine sound either BBRFC, so I made a copy of the RotaryEngine.wav, and renamed it Lerhone.wav. Better balance IMO!

Edited by Southside Bucky

didnt have time to mess with thesounds, flew this around with the black pit,awsome!this and the dh2 are my favorite planes of this sim!

Just thought it might be useful to relate the following passage from the Morane Windsock Datafile (No.58) page 11.

It's another testament to how difficult the Morane N was to fly.

written in 1973 by Frank T Courtney, who was a sergeant pilot with No.3 Squadron in 1915/16:

"Two or three weeks before I was shot down by Immelman's Fokker (21st October 1915) a Morane 'monocoque' (Model N) came to No.3 Squadron flown by G.L.P. Henderson. If it had been an effective fighter it would have been the sensation that the Fokker was, and it would have been a continuous subject of squadron talk. As it was, Henderson (always one of Britain's best pilots) had found it so tricky to handle, especially at altitudes, that he rarely took it out and couldn't do much with it when he did".

Apparently, the later 'I' and 'V' versions were downright dangerous!

regards.

Bucky.

Very "stiff" lateral control due to the wing warp and extremely sensitive in the fore-aft with a high landing speed...from what I read. Problem is, as P10ppy discovered, while it is possible to get a decent more accurate FM the AI cannot fly it. I know quite a few people have tried and they always wind up compromising the player FM to get decent gameplay. I know TK is working on the AI stall behavior so maybe things will improve. Meanwhile, since there are a lot of planes that aren't set up for even HARD settings, I just fly on NORMAL and don't worry about it...unless its something really screwy. :wink: While the FM for the Bullet is probably not like the real thing its, as mentioned before, balanced well with the other period A/C. The Fokker E.IV is in the same boat.

Anyone else finding the Lerhone engine sound alittle too muffled from the cockpit? Or is it just my file?

As I mentioned earlier (though perhaps too far into my post, and was missed) the NME Fokker engine drowns out the Lerhone.wav, even at a distance...

(Oops, just saw your response SSBucky, should have thought of just swapping the engine sound file myself...).

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Same here B Bandy although its not exclusive to the Bullet. Some other models also have the same type of sound. The center postition is quieter than either left or right. I suppose you could also increase the volume in Windows sound recorder or some other sound prog.

The Voisin looks great!

Type 3 I presume (120-horsepower Salmson M9 engine, range 200 km (125 miles), bomb load 50 kg (330 lb)). One more aircraft for the Belgian Air Force. Will it have bomb racks beside the gunner?

What will it be armed with? The one in the Musée de l'Air, Paris has a Hotchkiss with a spoll for a belt of ammunition above the breech. The Belgian aircraft seem to have a Lewis.

This could be the beginning of a whole new range of aircraft. The Type 5 and Type 8 would be nice - but [DEEP BREATH] I'm getting over excited!

LloydNB

I love this A/C. Grea Job!!! p10ppy, you hit it out the park :good: Early war planes rock. Its like a stagecoach duel. All we need now is Molotov Cocktails to throw at each other LOL. :rofl: