Sign in to follow this  
BOOM

Things unseen

First of all after reading this Arma guide i was left perplexed as to what stuff they talk about is in the stock version of the game and what is part of a mod or upcoming patch.

They talk about artilary and different rounds that can be used but if you go on the armed assault website, there isn't any artilary. If you go to the Atari version and go to the article on the armory, however, there is a picture of a field gun. There is also a mention of a mortar that can be carried by soldiers.

In the guide, they talk about laser designators and bombing. Dosn't the aircraft carry a designator?

Does anyone know what is really in the game and what is not?

All of it is in the game, but not all of it is straight forward to use or access.

Designators, for example, are carried by ground troops to lase the target for the fighters to fly by and drop the bomb onto. The A-10 actually doesn't have a designator, although that's for LGBs only. Mavericks self-designate of course.

There are many missions where you get attacked by mortars or artillery, and a few where you get to use them yourself. Some of these things are better illustrated in 3rd party missions you can DL around the net than in the stock ones with the game.

Why dont they advertise this stuff then. I know some people who would more likely buy this if they knew that this was in it. Also, dosn't that thing on the innermost right wing pylon look kinda like a laser pod?

Harrier%20Demo%201.jpg

EDIT: Did a little research...how stupid of me not to see it on the page where i found that picture. It's an AN/AAQ-28 LITENING pod. Further research confirms that it is a laser designator.

AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The LITENING family of targeting and navigation pods provides 24-hour precision strike capability and navigation capabilities in a single low-cost, high-performance pod. It allows fighter aircraft to detect and identify ground targets, even at night or in adverse weather, for highly accurate delivery of both conventional and precision-guided weapons. LITENING features include 3rd generation 640x512 FLIR (forward-looking infrared), charge-couple device television, laser spot tracker/rangefinder sensors, laser marker and laser designator, super zoom, multi-targeting cueing, J-weapons precision coordinate generation, and robust air-to-air capabilities.

Manufactured under license from RAFAEL.

Quote from: http://www.dsd.es.northropgrumman.com/litening/litening.html

Picture and pod ID from: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:STOVL

Edited by BOOM

I honestly haven't tried the AV8 yet so I don't know what it can or can't do in game. However, I see that it's the AV-8B+ version with the F-16's APG-66 radar vs the AV-8B Night Attack which has a laser in the nose, so maybe that pod gives it back the abilities lost by the radar-equipped version.

Whether it designates or seeks-only, I don't know.