I'm trying to get roads into VietnamSEA, and since I don't own 3DS and can't build an object myself, I used a flat (big) square that had a .tga. In testing the object, it got cut off a bit on a corner. I think it's because the terrain isn't flat, so my question is, can the TE flatten terrains, or more prefferably, show where terrains are flat to place them? Thanks!

Some pics:

img00001.jpg

Scale F-4E, you can see the 500 cut off

img00003.jpg

Lexx_Luthor helped me out on this, and said if you save the HFD as a bmp, then open up a paint or photo editing program, you can flatten terrain by colouring in the section you want flat.

From memory, black is 0 ft alt, green is around 70 ft, and there are different shades of orange all the way to brown which is 2300 ft or something like that.

There are other threads here that describe this too. One started by me and the other started by Lexx.

hmmmm :blink:

now do you RENAME the file type or just save it using a certain program? :dntknw:

When you go to the File pull down menu in Terrain Editor, the option is there to Export the Height map as a Bitmap (bmp)

When you go to the File pull down menu in Terrain Editor, the option is there to Export the Height map as a Bitmap (bmp)

yes, but can u IMPORT in the same fashion? :dntknw:

Same question as above ^

Also, can the .bmps be used in plannning maps?

Then I could just work around it instead of changing the terrain (not to "have people playing games they didn't buy") because I use kmd and the HUD debug to place targets anyways.

Is there a TE tutorial?

Thanks!

Yes I believe the bmp's can be used as planning maps.

And all you do to use your new terrain is make your adjustments via the above mentioned, save as bmp, open TE and the HFD file, (please make sure that your TFD file is in the same folder) pull down the file menu and import height map as bitmap and your new terrain will overwrite the old one. Then just save the HFD and there it is. A few new doc files should show up too, like sector height and peaks.txt

And that should do it.

There is a TE tutorial at Major Lees site (if a little brief), a couple of threads existing here and over at thirdwire as well.

Hope this helps

Ok, thanks. Time to go thread hunting... :wink:

HEY! QUICK BUT URGENT QUESTION!!!

I've made my own terrain for my upcoming mod inside a 256-color bitmap, and according to this thread, all I have to do is open Terrain Editor and import the bitmap to the height field, and VOILA! the height field is created as soon as I save. However, when I attempt to import the bitmap, the height field does not show, nor does it save properly. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :sorry:

HEY! QUICK BUT URGENT QUESTION!!!

I've made my own terrain for my upcoming mod inside a 256-color bitmap, and according to this thread, all I have to do is open Terrain Editor and import the bitmap to the height field, and VOILA! the height field is created as soon as I save. However, when I attempt to import the bitmap, the height field does not show, nor does it save properly. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :sorry:

BMP's for heightmap imports are 8bit indexed bmp's.

BMP's for heightmap imports are 8bit indexed bmp's.

INDEXED, YOU SAY? :blink:

What's that mean? :dntknw:

bump!

SidDogg-

Are you using Photoshop? If so under Image-Mode-Select Indexed color rather than RGB.

I'd explain the difference between Indexed color and Truecolor but I hate typing and it really doesn't matter as long as you make the change in you image program. :wink:

Where do I find the dang texture files? It asks for a .ini file for the texture but I have no idea where to look. I have exported a map (the .hfd file) to a .bmp file, smoothed and edited it so all airports will be flat, import it back in and the damn map still crashes every time. I tried openiong the cities up and saving it... crash. I have never been able to locate a terrain.ini file. Where is that at?

If someone could please help. I am about to go nuts on this.

Edited by {FL}Hausser

Where do I find the dang texture files? It asks for a .ini file for the texture but I have no idea where to look. I have exported a map (the .hfd file) to a .bmp file, smoothed and edited it so all airports will be flat, import it back in and the damn map still crashes every time. I tried openiong the cities up and saving it... crash. I have never been able to locate a terrain.ini file. Where is that at?

If someone could please help. I am about to go nuts on this.

I think you should take a look inside the [Terrainname].CAT

Use the SFP1E Extract (found in the D/L section under utilities)

In the download for the TE, there should be texturelists for the stock maps, for user created maps, you'd probably have to ask the creators. Also, make sure all .tga tiles are converted to .bmps.

Gocad is right, the terrain.ini should be in the .cat. And if you're looking for the tiles themselves, they're also in the .cat.

I opened the VietnamSea.cat file. There is no terrain.ini file in there. Plenty of other .ini files but nothing listed as terrain.ini on anything_terrain.ini. I have already tried with the stock terrain.ini file that came with the editor program. Still crashes upon starting. I am guess I will just give up and scrap my planned campaign for Libya 1986. 4 days of trying with zero results is enough to drive me over the edge.

I quite sure that the file is there. Perhaps you should take a look at the VietnamSEA.ini file. :wink:

Edited by Gocad

Been there done that numerous times. I have tried just about every possible .ini file I can think of for the terrain. Nothing works. When I say every .ini I can think of it means I have tried the VietnamSEA.ini, VitenamSEA_data.ini, TextureListWOV.ini (came in TE), the Libya.ini, Libya_data.ini, TextureListDesert.ini (came in TE). Hell out of desperation I even tried the targets.ini files. I save the .hfd file and load the game. The game either crashes instantly when it attempts to load the map or loads to about 60% then crashes.

I have even tried just loading the .hfd file, the cities.ini file and leveling airfields to make it simple. Instant crash yet again.

Don't give up! Your Libya campaign had a lot going for it.

First off:

Which Libya terrain are you using?

What tileset does the Libya terrain use?

Make sure that all the tiles are .bmps, not .tgas. This will make the editor crash every time.

Did the game crash before you fiddled around with the .hfd?

Which game are you using?

Don't give up! Your Libya campaign had a lot going for it.

First off:

Which Libya terrain are you using?

What tileset does the Libya terrain use?

Make sure that all the tiles are .bmps, not .tgas. This will make the editor crash every time.

Did the game crash before you fiddled around with the .hfd?

Which game are you using?

It is the upgraded version3 by Wrench (modified from USAFMTL's original)

Polak's Tile Set

The editor doesn't crash the game itself crashes when it tries to load the map. Although in the Editor I never do get to see a Texture Field. When I View Texture Field it is just white.

The game does not crash before i fiddle with the .hfd

Wings Over Vietnam

Edited by {FL}Hausser

The game does not crash before i fiddle with the .hfd

Wings Over Vietnam

What are you doing to the hfd file? :dntknw: Have you read the basic tutorial at the Aerodrome?

ML

What are you doing to the hfd file? :dntknw: Have you read the basic tutorial at the Aerodrome?

ML

The map that is out there has all the Libyan air bases in the incorrect positions. I have placed air bases closer to their correct locations and need to flatten the terrain for the bases.

I can not find any tutorials or links to any. I have looked and maybe my google searches are not leading me to the right places.

If you guys just need to do some spot editing on terrain files, don't forget to check out Keith Bedford's tools. His SFmap tool may be just the ticket.

They are on his webpage, along with several other cool SFP1 bits:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/keithb77/strikef/strikef.html

cheers

m

SfMap should help - you can export a 24-bit bitmap and use your favourite paint tool to paint the terrain level, then reimport.

Any problems, post here or SimHQ

Cheers,

Keith