Sign in to follow this  
Pratch

Rudder pedals

I am interested in obtaining a set of rudder pedals for my control setup. Before I actually buy a set, are they actually worth buying and can anyone recommend a set? I do have several different flight sims, so I would use them fairly regularly.

They are worth buying as long as your games support multiple controllers (or you are using all CH products devices in which case they can be made to appear as 1 device for games that don't) & imo you already have a stick & throttle first.

What is your current controller setup?

The 2 "mass market" ones commonly available are the CH Products Pro pedals & the Saitek.

The CH pedals are thought by many to be a bit narrow but are solid & of course a sensible choice if you are using other CH controllers as you only need to run 1 programming utility.

Reviews of the Saitek e.g. http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_104a.html suggest that they may be a bit better ergonomically & of course if you are already using other Saitek controllers then they are the sensible choice too.

My current setup is an ancient Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro I bought in 2001! I did buy a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro to replace it a while back, but I am having calibration issues with it (this seems to be a known issue) so it is not in use. My computer desk is small, so I can't use a HOTAS setup such as the X52. I am seriously considering ditching the Logitech and getting a Saitek stick to go with the pedals. I'll still keep the Sidewinder in a cupboard somewhere as a backup because it is a very good stick, it's just that it is starting to wear out!

I know it's only a basic setup, but it's only because I don't have enough room for anything else. I have checked the dimensions and the pedals will fit where I want them!

I'm erring towards the Saitek pedals at the moment because I have had experience with Saitek products and they are usually very good.

As to whether the games support rudder pedals, do SFP1, WOV or WOE support rudder pedals? I do have other sims that support rudder input but I do mainly fly on the SFP1 series.

I can't think of a sim that doesn't support them. Some need them more than others, of course. Helo sims and WWI/WWII sims it's pretty much mandatory, but you can get away without them in jet sims.

I'm interested to hear from people that have used both the saitek and ch products pedals. The saitek pedals out here cost about 2/3rds as much as the CH products pedals, but after seeing how tacky the saitek pedals look. I worry that the they are not built anywhere near aswell.

Also, would I have a problem running this setup? Saitek pro rudder pedals + saitek X45 (used for throttle) + CH Products fighter stick USB?

Cheers

Edited by Armourdave

I didn't think much of the Saitek pedals when I saw them at last years E3 they didn't look as strong as the CH pedals. In regards to the spacing of the pedals I don't have a problem with the CH Pro Pedals. I have my Fighterstick mounted on a speaker stand and the shaft stands against the edge of my chair and situating the Fighterstick between my legs and I have no problems with that setup. If you have the Fighterstick already you can easily add the CH Pro Pedals to any profile with the click of a button.

CH Pro Pedals work brilliantly for me. I'm so fond of them I started using them to control my character's movement in Oblivion instead of the WASD keys, lol. I do enjoy using Saitek's sticks though better than any I've tried. Current setup is Saitek ST290pro + CH Pro Pedals USB, and I've never had a problem.

Edited by saint aj

Also, would I have a problem running this setup? Saitek pro rudder pedals + saitek X45 (used for throttle) + CH Products fighter stick USB?

as long as the game supports multiple controllers, no.