Sign in to follow this  
LeadZeppelin

Taking off and landing in IL-2 series sims

Hello all

I have recently returned to IL-2/FB/AEP, just for a change, after been flying jets on WoV / WoE for a couple of months. For some reason I can not get the aircraft under control during take offs and landings. I locked the tail wheel to stop it from going in all directions but straight ahead, but even that does not make a lot of difference, it is mostly over sensitive over the ailerons and if this supposed to be the torque effect than this sim is overdoing the effect and does not give you a chance to correct it the right way. The rudder cannot be used in a satisfactory manner either as it is indeed also oversteering and almost useless. I am a private pillot myself and I fly rather overpowered ultra-lights, so I know somthing about torque; this is rediculous.

Anyway I still think that my joystick settings may be no good so I would appreciate some hints from you all. 1,000.000 + IL2 pilots (online) can't be wrong and I understand when flying multiplayer you have to survive not only the aircombat by also the TOs and landings.

Another thing is padlock. I seem only to be able to padlock when the target is within 2 miles and in sight. Is that correct or is there another way to be able to padlock when the target is not directly in front?

And one more thing, how can I avoid this rediculous stalling behaviour? The aircraft seems to go into an exagerated stall behaviour every time you go just a little slow. There is no real warning (feeling in the joystick perhaps) that you are about reaching stall speed?Again I may have the joystick set wrong, but flying WoV and WoE this sim appears to be a bit unrealistic as far as the flying characteristics of the aircraft are concerned.

Thanks

LZ :clapping:

the way i do it is lock tailwheel,set flaps to 100% even for TOs I use the landing settings,ease into power,cowl flaps to postition 4 or 6,if on a carrier,well on a runway for that matter, once at 100% power i give it full rudder to start with and then just bump it to correct.this works for cariers and runways.if you still have problems cut your sensitivity back some and try it until you get it to where you are comfortable.Landings are just the opposite,alot depends on aircraft also.some have more torque than others.

Thanks Dagger, let me try that. So it seems that take offs do need some practice. With sensitivity, do you mean the Deadband and Filtering settings for both Pitch and Roll? And what are the ten settings (default from 10 to 100) doing?

LZ

i was lucky and my X-45 worked great for me,once i figured out the rudder trick.I fly at TAW and we fly every week-end.took as long to learn to land and take off with these,as it did to learn in Falcon 4.yes the settings in your options menu.but try the rudder and adding power slowly if on runway.on carrier,firewall the throttle,let it reach max RPM full rudder for a short,then just to adjust.

Don`t try to take off like a jet with full afterburner.. take it easy let the plane roll, only with a few work on the throttel and then give just alittle more power when the tail is up.. you can give full throttel without probs...

Good luck!

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Thanks Dagger, let me try that. So it seems that take offs do need some practice. With sensitivity, do you mean the Deadband and Filtering settings for both Pitch and Roll? And what are the ten settings (default from 10 to 100) doing?

LZ

I'm no pilot, and not even a very good pilot on the computer. Having lot's of fun with the game, and definately was more fun after adjusting the deadband and filtering of my equipment and to my taste. Here's a quick quote from an old book I just found about the Me 109 and it's precursor, the Me 108. This is just one plane in the game, the Me 109.

The Me-109 had the tendency - mostly annoying, sometimes lashing swiftly into trouble - to swing to the left during the takeoff roll. Pilots had to be fast and skilled with their use of right rudder. When they pushed the stick forward to raise the nose they had to bring in right rudder in a co-ordinated movement, otherwise the airplane would turn sharply to the left beyond control. Takeoff with a crosswind from the left was regarded by some pilots as an unhappy adventure, and it was necessary to use the right brake as well as rudder until the speed built up.

Fun, huh?

Edited by smokin