Sign in to follow this  
ArgonV

Some FS-WWI things

Hello everybody!

I've got a trip comming up in June, but once July rolls around I hope to get full swing back into SDOE FS-WWI. I've got a list still scratching at me that needs to get done in order for Plane Pack 5 to become a reality. Most is just polish, and one new aircraft to add to the mix: The Airco D.H.4 :D

Here's what I got:

Bristol Scout D revamp

Fokker E.III cockpit

Halb D.II cockpit

Moska cockpit and hi-res skin

Airco D.H.4 build and hi-res skin

That is IT!!!! Once these things are completed I think it would be safe to call FS-WWI standardized and completed unless new matieral is added. It's been a long road for FS-WWI, but I think we can see the final destination now just over the next bend. :)

Thanks for all you do to keep this alive. I've had a great time flying the classics. Plane Pack 5 sounds like a nice way to finish things up.

I'm glad you got some good things out of it! :) Thanks a lot for your input.

WOW! I just tried FSWW1 for the first time. I like OFF:P2 for hardcore campaign, FE:EP1 for angry AI, RB3D+mods for creaky planes. And I'm gonna love FSWW1 for planes rarely seen elswhere, for Foster mount, for carrier take off and for shot down planes that do not fade away or disappear in the fireball but just stay there... I mean, Knights of the Sky will have to try really hard to impress me when it's out :biggrin:

Managed to win dogfight on Taube not with revolver shots, but by crashing Bleriots into the ground. Then lost control myself, though wasn't hurt that badly. Looked at Bleriots - both had wings ripped off, one was flipped over and burning. And I don't know why they coudn't jump out, but pilots were inside this burning wreck and screaming. :blink:

Hi Gr.Viper! I hope the install process went smoothly for you. :)

The old kites are among my favorites to fight. Nothing like slow patient turns to gain some slight advantage with the revolver.. The pilots were probably stuck, trapped in their kites. I wish we could reprogram the AI for these slower fights though.

I came across a special DVD .iso floating around the web which makes installation quite simple. You don't even have to install SDOE first.

Got some question though:

When I make a new mission (strafing, for B.E.2c) my squadron either starts with engines stopped mid-air or with engines running but the plane falls apart shortly after mission begins. Tried different altitude/speed settings but could figure out the reason... :dntknw:

Is there a way to control gunners? Like maknig pistol hand change target, or forcing gunners to shoot at ground objects?

Ah yes the ISO! Such a blessing. :)

It sounds like you may not be setting the altitude high enough. With the Somme terrain, you are at least a thousand ft above sea level so you need to set the altitude accordingly. Also, the speed needs to be at least 70 mph set in the mission editor. Also, for the fuel set the ammount to 0 (Which means a full tank)

To change how the gunners track you have to jump to that gunner position, take it over and then press T to change the target. Then switch it back to AI control.

It works! Grreat. Now I'll try to find a way to exterminate 27 angry, sober and moderately skilled riflemen.

Weird thing is that AI planes now start this mission going up and down...

Is Ilya Muromets flyable? Or at least shootable? It doesn't show up in plane list (despite being in aircraft folder) and I get CTD trying to load ready missions that seem to contain it.

Yes it's supposed to be completely flyable and shootable. It sounds like there might be a bug with the ISO.. What files are in the aircraft folder for both Ilya's? There should be at least a note.txt file..

IlyaV, IlyaV(+Pilot, Copilot, Gunner, Gunner2, Dmg, Dmg2), loadout, note , textures folder.

Maybe it has something to do with nations? I seem to have WWII nations like Soviet Union listed in menus. Germany, Italy, France, USA look right, but there's a long list of planeless countries.

Ahhh... Do you have WW2 + FS-WWI loaded and combined? Or just FS-WWI? FS-WWI stand alone is supposed to have only Great Britain, United States, France, Russia, Italy, Australia and Germany.

Sir,

I am in the process of getting the A-in-1 DVD and have a question

if I might ... is there anything on your FS-WW1 site that is NOT included

on the DVD ?

Thx ..

Or just FS-WWI? FS-WWI stand alone is supposed to have only Great Britain, United States, France, Russia, Italy, Australia and Germany.

I installed FSWWI standalone pack. Strange...

Any way to fix it?

I believe the DVD has everything, but I have not looked at it personally as I did not put that together.

Gr. Viper, do you have the WWI themed background and no WW2 aircraft in that install? If so, you might just try downloading the FS-WWI Nations Pack here:

http://php2.phpwebservices.com/FS-WW1/FSWWI_Nations2.exe

And reinstalling that over your current install. This should give you the Russia nation.

Thanks, it worked fine. :biggrin:

That's funny - I didn't have WWII planes, menu background was WWI - only nations were broken.

So, dexxa, I suppose, the only thing you might need with the iso is the nations pack.

Great! If you want to remove the WW2 nations you can go to where the game is installed and in the Media folder delete the parfiles 40-47 (They are named Data40.par and so on) Nothing in FS-WWI uses them.

Edited by ArgonV

Hmmm.... Moska's armament seems to be a bit different. I wonder what position one had to take to fire accurately.

mb-1.gif

mb-3.jpg

They also had plans for arming it with forward-firing Colt MG on the right side. To prevent it from shooting the prop off, they designed a system that would pop an armour plate out of the hood when prop blade was passing line of fire and hide the plate back it when the blade was gone. :crazy:

Thanks for the info! The Moska, along with a couple of other aircraft are in need of some serious reworking. They've just taken a back seat until I get some time or a modeler comes along and wants to revamp them. The Moska, Bristol Scout and Halb D.II are really incomplete additions to FS-WWI..

Just a bit of an update Gr.Viper:

I did mount an upward firing Lewis on the Moska. Also, I made a makeshift cockpit to replace the old one. No cockpit data could be found, so this new one is made up like the old. It just looks tons better visually. :)

Moska.jpg

Moska2.jpg

Edited by ArgonV

Thanks! The stick has been updated.

I still have one of the original fs-wwi downloads somewhere on a cd, and I am interested in trying it again, but I remember while the planes and terrain were very nice and realistic (better than cfs2), I found there wasn't much dogfighting to speak of. Certainly nothing like some of the great furballs I got into with RB3D. So I lost interest.

Can someone give their opinion? Should I give it another shot? Seems like some great people have worked hard on it.

There are some missions with larger amounts of aircraft in FS-WWI, but a lot of the furballing was done in the later part of the war. The great thing is, there's a mission editor so if you want to create a mission with 10+ aircraft in one fight it can be done. :)

For the latest and greatest, please head to www.fsww1.com