Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

New 22" Monitor, now aircraft is "tearing" and...

Hi,

I just got a 22" TFT LCD monitor and am now having major visual/image problems with both Strike Fighters and First Eagles. I was previously using a 19" LCD with no issues at all (other than FE tile clipping, which is well documented).

From the First Eagles Cockpit view using TrackIR4, when I shift view (move my head) I the see the aircraft image "tearing" (vertical lines on the aircraft are broken/off-set horizontally for a split second), and the environment/background becomes "wavy" like it is made of liquid. When NOT moving/shifting view, there is no issue.

OF INTEREST, Strike Fighters does not present the same airplane graphics "tearing" and "wavy" environment problem. With SF, the propeller animation is continuously breaking horizontally, and other issues with the ocean and shoreline tiles not blending together, both of which were not there before...

The monitor particulars: X2GEN (hey, the price was right...)

using at 1680 x 1050 pix, 32 bit, 5 ms response, 60 Hz default and a DVI cable (it only comes with an analog cable, and things were much worse before using a DVI cable).

My system:

4 x 2.66 GHz, 3 GB RAM

My Vid Card:

ATI X1900XT 512 MB vRAM

I HAVE ALREADY TRIED reducing ALL the graphics settings to LOW on both games (SF & FE) and already turned off all anisotropic filters, and other catalyst settings are set to low for better preformance... The games look pretty bland I must say, and it did not solve the problems.

Has anyone else used a 22" monitor problem free? Is this some sort of vid driver issue or the monitor? I am loath to go updating drivers and the cat since the versions I currently use worked well before. The monitor is otherwise quite nice for regular work...

Any advice appreciated, thanks, while I can still return the monitor. [i also have posted this over at 3rd Wire]

I take it that 1680x1050 is the native resolution?

probably a case of you get what you pay for .... :sad:

Yes 1680 x 1050 is one of the stock, and highest resolutions settings, but others are available and I'll try them out. I forgot to mention I also set the monitor to 16 bit with very poor results (hey, I was really reaching and trying anything).

Over at 3rd Wire, someone suggested enabling "Vsync" (which sounds like a possible diagnosis) but I haven't seen anywhere in game, or in the Catalyst control center (I have an ATI card) where that option is presented...

Anyone who might be able to pass on a clue, I would be appreciative.

I'm using a 1680 x 1050 LCD at 32-bit, 60hz with a 7600GT and get a beautiful image.

Vsync is enabled and 2x antialiasing, anisotropic, etc.

I had to fiddle around with the various setting using the graphics control panel to find a "sweet spot" for image quality and performance. Change settings, fly a single mission, repeat...until you get what you like.

I think it may be best to use the native resolution for your display.

i would also check the knowledge-base, if you haven't already. May be some help there. I wish the was a guide for basic gfx settings. For example Vsync is usually OFF in most other sims I use, but in SFP/WOE/WOV it's ON.

Not sure this helps much.

Generally that kind of image tearing happens when the game is going faster than the monitor can display it. Turning UP the graphics is a better solution than turning them down.

What's the response time for the LCD monitor? that makes a huge difference.

Also, use the recommended resolution, anything else tends to look blurry around text and edges.

Hi eraser,

As I mentioned above, the monitor has a 5 ms response (not the best for games, but still pretty good)

and 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ is a stock supported resolution (albeit the highest setting for this monitor).

Thanks THawk, I have spent some time adjusting and re-adjusting the ATI Catalyst and game settings to try to find that sweet spot, but the "tearing" is there no matter what when I use TrackIR4. When the image is stable (not moving my head) there is no tearing...

If anyone cares, here is the monitor advertisement AND no, I do not work for Costco... :smile:

I will gladly try to increase the game settings as a solution! Actually, while futzing about the game settings, I did try increasing the horizon setting to "far" and found the old tile clipping problem disappeared totally, so maybe there is something to this suggestion...

I'm at work, so cannot check my Catalyst Control settings, is the Vsync option within the Cat menus???

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Hi eraser,

As I mentioned above, the monitor has a 5 ms response (not the best for games, but still pretty good)

and 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ is a stock supported resolution (albeit the highest setting for this monitor).

Thanks THawk, I have spent some time adjusting and re-adjusting the ATI Catalyst and game settings to try to find that sweet spot, but the "tearing" is there no matter what when I use TrackIR4. When the image is stable (not moving my head) there is no tearing...

If anyone cares, here is the monitor advertisement AND no, I do not work for Costco... :smile:

I will gladly try to increase the game settings as a solution! Actually, while futzing about the game settings, I did try increasing the horizon setting to "far" and found the old tile clipping problem disappeared totally, so maybe there is something to this suggestion...

I'm at work, so cannot check my Catalyst Control settings, is the Vsync option within the Cat menus???

Click on 3D, then All, scroll down and you'll see VSYNC slider. Slide the slider all the way right.

Falcon

TK replied over at the 3rdWire forum as well, and the VSync selection makes no difference -- the cockpit image is still "tearing" in FE, and the "prop disc" is tearing in SF (I'm flying BoB currently) though I found a fix posted for the water banding issue I was experiencing...

AND funny thing, a few have mentioned where to find the Vsync, and all have been different, and different from my Cat Con Center. Different versions I suppose...

I reduced my screen resolution to 1400 x 900 and that reduced the tearing a bit. Again, it only appears when panning the view with TrackIR... I'll likely bring this X2Gen piece of crap back to Costco, at least I haven't lost any money in shipping... but all this time and frustration!!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, guess you get what you pay for.

Get a Viewsonic or similarly reliable brand. And of course, the internet is your friend, read as many product reviews as you can before buying something major.

You asked for input from anyone who installed a 22" widescreen monitor. I recently switched from a 17" CRT to a ViewSonic Optiquest 22" LCD with no problems whatsoever and the graphics are fantastic on the widescreen.

You mentioned attempting to lower your PC's display resolution, but I didn't see any mention of whether or not you've changed the game(s)' graphics options to match your new monitor. I have my game's "Display Resolution" set to: 1680x1050x32 and the "Display Aspect Ratio" set to: Widescreen (16x10).

You also mentioned changing all of the game's graphics settings to "Low" with no success. I think those settings are more dependent on the capabilities of your display adapter (video card) than your monitor. I have all of mine set to "High" with no problems. Make sure that your video card supports the resolution potential of your new monitor. It looks like yours should.

Bottomline, your problem might be resolved by something as simple as making sure your game(s) display options (both resolution and aspect ratio) match your monitor and video card settings. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Thanks jrdani,

Yes, I was matching the screen resolution (via the Cat control center settings) with the in-game resolution settings, and saw no solution to the cockpit image "tearing" (no tearing on the background environment though, don't know if that is significant...).

I've tried HSync and VSync enabled and disabled, and all combinations... Nothing.

What I did find out is that the monitor has no factory profile when attached through the DVI cable, however, I WAS able to color calibrate it when connected with the VGA port/cable that came with it (the monitor did not come with a DVI cable!). I suspect it is a firmware issue, and I have not heard back from the company.

Good news, I'll take it back directly to Costco with no questions asked... Now I just have to go back to my 19" till I find a deal on a better brand! BUT I've gotten used to it for work, and that's going to be hard to take after all that realestate :boredom:

Thanks jrdani,

Yes, I was matching the screen resolution (via the Cat control center settings) with the in-game resolution settings, and saw no solution to the cockpit image "tearing" (no tearing on the background environment though, don't know if that is significant...).

I've tried HSync and VSync enabled and disabled, and all combinations... Nothing.

What I did find out is that the monitor has no factory profile when attached through the DVI cable, however, I WAS able to color calibrate it when connected with the VGA port/cable that came with it (the monitor did not come with a DVI cable!). I suspect it is a firmware issue, and I have not heard back from the company.

Good news, I'll take it back directly to Costco with no questions asked... Now I just have to go back to my 19" till I find a deal on a better brand! BUT I've gotten used to it for work, and that's going to be hard to take after all that realestate :boredom:

B Bandy, if you're still shopping for a 22" widescreen, try looking at the 22" LCDs on TigerDirect.com. I've dealt with them numerous times during ths last several years and have always found them to be excellent to deal with, before and after the sale. I forgot to mention previously that I'm running my Optiquest Q22wb on a DVI cable that I purchased separately with good results achieved. You might also use Znet to compare prices around the web. Hope you have better luck with your next one.

I know this thread may be a bit old, but I thought that it would be better to expand this one rather than opening a new one... I'm anticipating acquiring a 24in TFT monitor and I was wondering if it will be possible to choose the screen's native resolution of 1920 x 1200 as resolution also in WoE? :blink:

Absolutely.

WOE not only lets you pick the resolution, but also the aspect ratio.

So at 1920x1200 you need 16:10 aspect ratio.

This gives you an undistorted view.

I have run at this resolution on my work laptop.

I have also played at 1920x1080 with 16:9 aspect ratio on my 46" LCD TV.

Either way, the game looks and plays great.

Edited by streakeagle