Sorry to keep asking all of these questions, but even after having SFP, WOV and WOE I still find myself looking for answers. Every time I am going low and fast I sometimes target an SA-7 MANPAD but it never seems to fire, I have even on stupid occasions slowed down to about 250KTS to see if it will shoot at me but I have never been hit by one.

Hey, you've gotta ask questions if you want to know something. :good:

You know low and fast is a great way to avoid mosts SAMs, yeah? I'm guessing you've overflown the SAMs at several hundered feet plus and it hasn't fired. Check the weapons.ini and make sure it's available in the year you're flying (by changing the inservice dates, plently of places to find out how here.) otherwise, other factors could be that it won't fire at you if you've killed its radar. Any ECM will make it harder for it to lock on to you and chaff will kill a lock for a few seconds (at least on mine it does)

Try the knowledge base, there'll be threads on .ini editing, if indeed this is the problem.

I'll have look around because I'm pretty sure I read something on it, I just can't remember where...

Depends the SA-7 that can be downloaded here has never fired at me although the SA-7 bloke in YAP does fire at me. There are a lot of differences in SeekerFOV, gimbleLimit etc in the weapondata.ini - I havn't looked into what will fix this yet.

Then theres also the issue of how well the early model SA-7 could even target a fast jet in the real conflict.

I have been knocked out a couple of times by SAM's. But if you fly low enough the SAM's radar cant track you.

Yeah the one I have most problem with is the SA-6 that missile seems to come out of no where and destroy you LOL

Does any one know if those really bad SAMS are being made for WOE like the SA-15, SA-17, SA-20 (S300) Scary!, and S200 or SA-5?

Does any one know if those really bad SAMS are being made for WOE like the SA-20 (S300) Scary!?

Aka "The Wall" We fear the wall......

I am slowly working on continuing the next version of my air defense mod, and have tweaked the SA-7 so that they at least fire. Have also created a Redeye unit, and tweaked the Stinger too. It's a little more dangerous, but not much of a threat for fast movers. The problem is that by the time any MANPADS unit acquires you, you're already moving out of optimal engagement range.

If you use my HAWK air defense mod and fly for the Reds you will definitely "see" the missiles coming due to the smoke trail. Doing anything to dodge them is another matter, since many Soviet aircraft lack countermeasures of any sort. Dive fast and turn hard!

Does any one know if those really bad SAMS are being made for WOE like the SA-15, SA-17, SA-20 (S300) Scary!, and S200 or SA-5?

Definitely would remove any "fun" factor from the sim, since we don't have stand-off jamming capability to counter. Modern SAM's, Slammers, off-boresite AAM's etc take all the fun out of flying. :biggrin:

I think u should post the data Nick. Would be very helpful.

Yea they would suck the fun out LOL because those are some very fearsome weapons.

Yea they would suck the fun out LOL because those are some very fearsome weapons.

Out of curiosity, do you have an entry in your weapondata.ini for the SA-7 missile itself?

Do you mean this?

[WeaponData811]

TypeName=SA-7

FullName=SA-7 Grail

ModelName=SA-7

Mass=9.900000

Diameter=0.600000

Length=1.470000

AttachmentType=

NationName=SOVIET

StartYear=1965

EndYear=2020

Availability=3

BaseQuantity=24

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1968

ExportEndYear=2020

ExportAvailability=3

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=TRUE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

Streamlined=TRUE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=TRUE

HasGrowl=TRUE

EffectClassName=SmallMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=0.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=0.370000

FusingDistance=1.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=10

Accuracy=60

MaxTurnRate=8.000000

MaxLaunchG=3.000000

LockonChance=60

LaunchReliability=85

ArmingTime=1.500000

SeekerFOV=4.500000

SeekerGimbleLimit=25.000000

SeekerTrackRate=11.000000

SeekerRange=4800.000000

MinLaunchRange=0.000000

MaxLaunchRange=3500.000000

Duration=20.000000

CounterCountermeasure=10.000000

NoiseRejection=10.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x10000210

BoosterStart=0.000000

BoosterDuration=2.000000

BoosterAccel=29.590000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-0.750000,0.000000

SustainerDuration=15.000000

SustainerAccel=10.000000

SustainerEffectName=

SustainerSoundName=

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-0.750000,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

Perhaps it's the SA-7 launcher itself. I'll have a go at, and see if I experience any issues. I know the SA-7 missile itself works well, as I've come up with a nasty little twist on the default SF-series cargo ship.

at the end of the SA-7L_DATA.ini .....

[Missile]

SystemType=MISSILE

MissileID=1

WeaponTypeName=SA-7

WeaponPosition=0.2,-0.10,1.6

ShowMissile=true <-------------------------- this must be TRUE as shown here

IndependentPitchMovement=FALSE

thats all I can come up with for a quick fix..... the SA-7 Launcher works OK in my game.

In real combat the Strela-2 missile was not unsuccesfull. A lot of A-4 Skyhawk were hit in Yom Kippur War by this missile. The weakpoint of the weapon was the small warhead, so that the majority of hitten planes survived the missile hit.

The Strela 2 is today outdated and was replaced by the Igla missile. Igla is comparable with Stinger, but had a much wider field of view.

Edited by Gepard