Sign in to follow this  
bigikie

Haven't Gotha Clue

Does anyone out there have the secret of knocking down the Gothas. Am in the middle of one of Firecages missions and it's wall to wall bombers. I die every time and everyone else with me. It's assuming kamikaze proportions. Part of the difficulty is that they start so high and you so low it takes an age to get height over them and while you might get a few squirts off at one you get nailed by the others as you turn away or on the approach. Tried height - same. Best seems to be coming in from a side angle but then their mates get you unless you're after a single. Tried dumbing down the gunners but to no avail. Was it really as hard as that?

:blink:

I feel your pain .... I hate the gunners in some of the bombers. The best thing I have done so far is to attack from underneath, directly behind. Some of the bombers just have to have the rate of gun movement downed a bit (slower reaction time)and some need the angle's of fire changed (so they dont have has much of an instant chance of killing you).

After that its just plain tough vs the gotha, I tend to try and take a wing out, trying ot get an Engine hit and a fire seems to be pretty hard.

Edited by Firecage

:blink:

I feel your pain .... I hate the gunners in some of the bombers. The best thing I have done so far is to attack from underneath, directly behind. Some of the bombers just have to have the rate of gun movement downed a bit (slower reaction time)and some need the angle's of fire changed (so they dont have has much of an instant chance of killing you).

After that its just plain tough vs the gotha, I tend to try and take a wing out, trying ot get an Engine hit and a fire seems to be pretty hard.

FC mate. Can you actually kill the gunners. They don't seem to get disabled despite pouring lots of fire into them so there's no chance of creating a weak point. It seems that the Gotha itself has a damage capacity and the gunners function independently if you get my drift.

Guest Charles

I think that is right, you can kill pilots but not gunners. FE seems to allow gunners (those defined as a Gunner_Station, that is) to keep firing, even when the aircraft is going down in flames. Sort of a "plucky, right to the last" feature, is how I see it.

The Gotha was set up to be fairly hard to kill in the sim, but you can try editing the Gotha Data.INi file to reduce it's ability to take damage if you want to.

Under [AircraftData], find the line DefaultArmorThickness=.

reduce this number to (say) 25 and see how it goes.

And BTW, the Gotha had a tunnel in the rear fuselage, so that rear gun can fire below as well as above. Climbing at a slow speed below and behind the Gotha makes you a really easy taregt!

I think that is right, you can kill pilots but not gunners. FE seems to allow gunners (those defined as a Gunner_Station, that is) to keep firing, even when the aircraft is going down in flames. Sort of a "plucky, right to the last" feature, is how I see it.

I think I have a (bit hacky :blush: ) way around this

I'm using an intermediate node with the gunner parented to it (then the intermediate node parented to the main mesh)

The node/mesh is tiny but I expect it could be part of the gunner model himself (I just didn't think of that till later :sorry: )

Set the node to the same extents as the gunner and to detach when destroyed (looks a bit gruesome) :blink:

Seems to work (not fully tested)

[Gnode02]

ParentComponentName=GB03

ModelNodeName=Gnode02

DestroyedNodeName=

ShowFromCockpit=TRUE

DetachWhenDestroyed=True

MassFraction=0.001

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

LiftSurface=FALSE

MinExtentPosition= -1.603, 74.807, 9.788

MaxExtentPosition= -1.047, 75.344, 11.408

StructuralFactor=0.01

Guest capun

Can someone try this mod in the Gotha?

I made the Front and Rear Gunner Hit boxes a bit larger, also I added hit boxes for the Guns. I want to see if the guns get destroyed with the assumption that if you hit the gunner, it's like hitting the guns.

In the Data ini

[FGunner]

SystemType=GUNNER_STATION

PilotModelName=

SeatID=2

GunnerID=1

SetCockpitPosition=FALSE

Position=0.0,2.7,1.5

MinExtentPosition=-0.4000,3.5144,-0.1540 // New Hit box

MaxExtentPosition= 0.4000,2.5000,1.3698

[RGunner]

PilotModelName=

SeatID=3

GunnerID=2

GunnerBodyNodeName=Observer

SetCockpitPosition=FALSE

Position=0.0,-0.1,1.5

MinExtentPosition=-0.4000,0.1029,-0.4793 // New hit box

MaxExtentPosition= 0.4000,-0.7315,1.5000

[FGun]

SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14

MuzzlePosition=0.00,4.5558,0.8939

[RGun]

SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN

MuzzlePosition=0.0000,0.9435,0.9072

Can someone try this mod in the Gotha?

I made the Front and Rear Gunner Hit boxes a bit larger, also I added hit boxes for the Guns. I want to see if the guns get destroyed with the assumption that if you hit the gunner, it's like hitting the guns.

In the Data ini

[FGunner]

PilotModelName=

SeatID=2

GunnerID=1

SetCockpitPosition=FALSE

Position=0.0,2.7,1.5

[RGunner]

PilotModelName=

SeatID=3

GunnerID=2

GunnerBodyNodeName=Observer

SetCockpitPosition=FALSE

Position=0.0,-0.1,1.5

[FGun]

SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN

MuzzlePosition=0.00,4.5558,0.8939

[RGun]

SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN

MuzzlePosition=0.0000,0.9435,0.9072

Made a horse's tulip of that then,

Capun mate, thanks for the stuff and have amended the files. If I could just get close enough to one to see if it works.