Sign in to follow this  
Hogpen13

I have no sims to play!

I just upgraded my computer so I could play sims and now I can’t play any I have..damn I’m frustrated!

I got a new Compaq Presario 2.0 with windows XP. No matter what I do I can’t get my stick to work with Mig Alley or Apache Havoc (which I picked up for $9.95), My Jane’s F-15 will not load (I guess the disk is damaged because it freezes half-way through installation), IAF will not play with the higher DirextX installed in XP, and I have not even tried Falcon4 because I don’t have the time to play this one.

I can’t find strike fighters in my local stores (I guess I will have to order it), and LOMAC is a few months away. I have nothing to play…crap what good is a new puter when the software you own doesn’t work with it!

Maybe it’s time to find a new hobby which doesn’t require so much money, times (patches and updated drivers), and frustration just to enjoy it!

hehe, what the hell kind of hobby would that be? By definition hobbies are supposed to be expensive, time intensive and frustrating... :P

I haven't loaded F-15 since I installed XP, so I'm not sure about that one. F4 works with XP though.

If you want something to hold you over till LOMAC, see if you can find WWII Fighters in the bargain bin somewhere. There's been a lot of modwork done and is still very playable, and with the upgraded models IMHO it's still one of the prettiest and most enjoyable WWII sims out there. I've been messing with it the last month, at least before I moved and remodelling took over my life. ;)

On my current system, F-15 runs smooth as silk, Mig Alley too. AH runs good, and Falcon 4 is a dream. You're right, I just re-installed IAF a couple days ago, no go on that one. On that note though, USAF should be pretty cheap, and I know it'll run really well.

I spend almost all of my sim time playing Il-2:FB. After that, occasionally EECH and Flanker 2.5.

What kind of stick do you have?

I know MadJeff but some days you wish you could just put in a CD and play your damn games! :roll: As you may be able to tell I'm having a bad hair day, kids drove me crazy last night, my head hurts, and my retirement paperwork is screwed-up AGAIN! :x

SDirickson, I just got a cheap stick to use until LOMAC hits the shelves and can't remember what it is off the top of my head, Saitek 3d something-or-other.

I'm going to try ANOTHER install tonight and hope for the best, if still no joy I'm going to find, or order Strike Fighters..would love to be able to fly the F-4 in that one...wish me luck! :D

i just got from compusa store (not online) the med-evac (9.99)- great copper sim and it is working well under win XP with HOTAS and pro pedals.

:D

On the IAF, did you install the INDEO files? I couln't get mine to run either, and the drivers wouldn't load from the disk on my new system (never did figure that one out), BUT, you can get them for free at www.ligos.com, or e-mail me and I will send you the program via email. (it's only about 2 megs) 8) 8)

I can also burn you a copy of WW2 Fighters if you like.

On the IAF, did you install the INDEO files? I couln't get mine to run either, and the drivers wouldn't load from the disk on my new system (never did figure that one out), BUT, you can get them for free at www.ligos.com, or e-mail me and I will send you the program via email. (it's only about 2 megs) 8)  8)  

Nightshade/PR, I went to the site you listed and they want $14.95 for the download (INDEO), I liked IAF but not enough to pay another $15 bucks to play it! :D

Thanks for the offer of sending me the files or burning me a copy of WWII fighter but, I'm sure you know that is not right. I have never "bootlegged" a copy of a game...just not my style. Also on the same note please be carful how you make offers like that on this site, if I'm not mistaken MadJeff and Biohaz Central could get in trouble for allowing it here.

Not jumping you butt because you were only trying to help but I also felt I had to say this. :wink:

I could get IAF to run, but I didn't get an graphics in the menu screens, and I couldn't get any keyboard funcions to work in game.

WWII Fighters runs great, and you can find it in the bargain bin in Jewel Case form for as little as five bucks. I think I also saw it in a compilation for like 15.

Guest Ranger332

On IAF did you make it compatable the win XP?

find the game icon right click and hit properties,then adjust the compatablity for your OS.

On IAF did you make it compatable the win XP?

find the game icon right click and hit properties,then adjust the compatablity for your OS.

Ranger, I haven't tried that but will tonight. I did get Falcon4 to run and work with my stick so I know the stick is OK. I just don't have the time for Falcon but I may download SP3 just to try the A-10 mod.

Well thanks veryone for your suggestions...I will either get one of my sims to work or get a new one this weekend.

Nightshade, please no discussions on pirating software, that is a cardinal rule here at Biohaz. I understand you were just trying to be helpful in this case, so I won't jump you too hard, but please do not let it happen again. :wink:

MadJeff, this isn't meant as a discussion of piracy, but about Jane's products, who actually gets the sale proceeds? The company no longer exists as anything but a subsidiery of Xicat, right? And when you can buy WWII Fighters for $5... makes you wonder how much of that ever leaves the store.

Good question. I doubt Xicat gets any of it. A lot of times these old titles are purchased by a distributing company and they get all the money. So who knows... :D

:oops:

Jeff, you have my sincerest apologies. I never thought of that, and really was only trying to be of some help. I'll be more careful in the future.

MadJeff --- after seeing your posting aways back about mods for WWII Fighters I ended up buying them. Its like kickstarting the game again and giving it another life. Its amazing how a few mods can change a game. Thanks for the post.

I got IAF to load on my puter but it doesn’t like it very much! It locks-up, the voices are messed and the throttle doesn’t work but I had a blast with some of the old missions!

I know…I know.. the graphics sucked, scripted mission..yad, yad, yad but I have always loved this sims because of the historical missions and this was also the first sim I owned where I could fly my F-4E against Migs!!

It really brought back some memories that’s for sure! I did a little follow the leader with “Jonathan”, I bombed the nuclear and, mixed it up with some Migs in the mission builder. I wish I could get this sim to work right in XP but think it’s a lost cause but, I did have fun for a little while!

Sometimes you just have to forget what’s wrong with a sim and just have fun playing it!!

I always loved the low level rocket attacks. Its fun to go zooming down in a Mirage III and pick off tanks with your Zuni's. I also loved taking out SAMs from about 10 miles off with a perfectly placed rocket, lol.

Dice,

Here's a treat, why not try America's Army Online and get a feel for the Ground Troops job...you know the one that the Hogs protect so well?

It's Free too...no joystick....I'm having a great time with it until LOMAC's release.

www.americasarmy.com

Fates