Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff__001

Question about Aussie decals

Hey Guys. Longtime downloader, first time poster with a question.I added the decals package, and did all the modifications in the readme for this download (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=320), and it borked all my other Aussie aircraft (Avon Sabre, Mirage IIIO, Canberra B.20).My question is how do I get them all back, while preserving the RAAF F-4E?Incidently, if I find it myself, I will post it.

Well, the first thing I'd do, is create a seperate decals folder for the number decals (ie: "D"), transfer all the new numbers to that, then edit the decals ini to point to it. IE:

F-4E/SEAnoshark/D

There might be a problem with the length of the folder name, I'd rename the folder "RAAF", then adjust the path accordingly.

Something like:

F-4E/RAAF/D

so the path, in the new decal ini would be something like this:

[Decal011]

MeshName=vertical_stabilizer

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F-4E/RAAF/D/F4RAAFlg

Position=-4.6,1.4

Rotation=0.0

Scale=2.2

DecalMaxLOD=3

The shorter path is always better for the skins (we've had some issues with that before, mostly on the original Tornado)

I gotta say, though, that's is one of the longest ways around to get a skin to work. The textureset ini and decals ini SHOULD have been included as seperate files; that way is becomes a simple copy/paste/rename of the TNG1 skin set. Way tooo much work. Should be a simple drop/drag operation.

Copy/paste the nose bmp??? Aren't the F-4E templates available here and @ 3rd Wire??? Easier to just repaint the one bmp, and let it overwrite the existing "f-4e_5.bmp". Some folks aren't up to speed on skinning, and may not have the necessary image manipulation programs (Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Gimp, etc)

Also, a quick extraction and checking the NATIONS.INI, would have shown RAAF already exists - Nation038; RAN is Nation054, with no real need for editing. The campaign section looks at the first part (ie: Australian Navy), the single mission generator looks at the displayname=.

I want the author to know I mean no disrespect towards the hard work put into it -- having made dozens of skins and literaly thousands of decals...I know what goes into it. But there are much easier and simpler ways, mostly because the end users always wind up scratching their heads going "huh???" -- cause I sure was!!

Now, on to the matter of creating a Oz nation specific Rhino.....

Wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: looks like I should have checked the file dates before speaking...kinda spoke out turn here....

This whole set dates from 2002, long before the textureset.ini and things were created by one of the patches.

So, in the manner of an apology, I'll put together an update pak, and upload it as a 'fix', with the necessary inis and the fixed _5.bmp.

My apologies to nosecone, if you're still out there, for my gaff.

W

Ok, nearly ready....

original 'skin':

oz_rhino-1.jpg

and, there'll be a bonus too when I upload the pack. Color is taken directly off the 111C we have:

oz_rhino-gray-2.jpg

Uses the same decals, so when it's installed, you'll just have to copy the "D" folder into the RAAFGray skin folder

Should have it finished testing and uploaded tommorow/early next week. Will also include ini, data ini, and loadout ini to create an RAAF country specific version. Consider it another of my "What If..." models

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks. The RAAF considered buying the 23 surviving (one crashed off Evans Head, New South Wales) F-4E's leased from the USAF, the Americans certainly favoured it, and were asking only $54m for the lot. The Government decided not to because they would have to disband a Mirage IIIO unit, it would have taken several years to get the Phantoms units fully manned (the F-4 crews would be converting to F-111s), and they believed (wrongly) that the F-4E was marginally superior to the Mirage and the A-4G Skyhawk.

I would have said "disband the bloody Mirage squadron, and a few years is an OK wait", but then again, I have a Phantom phetish.

Looking at the Mirage III0, I'm wonder if the upper wing decal placement for the Phantom are correct...the Mirage dosen't use them (and most pics I've seen don't have them on the camo either)

But the 111C Pig does, along with the CAC-32 Avon Sabre...hmmm....well, you all can always just delete the pointer in the decal ini, thusly:

[Decal003]

MeshName=wing_left_outer

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat= <--note removed decal name

Position=-5.01,-1.80

Rotation=-90.0

Scale=1.30

DecalMaxLOD=3

Reverse=TRUE

[Decal005]

MeshName=wing_right_outer

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat=

Position=5.01,-1.80

Rotation=270.0

Scale=1.30

DecalMaxLOD=3

Leaving it black won't hurt nothing!

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey Guys. Longtime downloader, first time poster with a question.I added the decals package, and did all the modifications in the readme for this download (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=320), and it borked all my other Aussie aircraft (Avon Sabre, Mirage IIIO, Canberra B.20).My question is how do I get them all back, while preserving the RAAF F-4E?Incidently, if I find it myself, I will post it.

Can't really help with that one mate...but wanted to take the opportunety to contact another Aussie.....would be great to get a bunch of us playing together so contact me and lets see what we can organise....not much multiplaying goin on but i'd like to see if we can change that..Easier too if we are all in the same country......love to get 4 or 5 mirages up together..let me kno mate

Sunshine

Another Aussie reporting: On the RAAF's F-4E's, roundels appeared on the upper port wing, and lower starboard wing (just as on USAF F-4E's)

On the same subject:

A-4G: Both upper, and both lower

F-111C/G: Port upper, starboard lower

F/A-18: Both lower

Canberra: Both lower

Avon Sabre: Both upper and both lower (dunno if SFG will support it, but the Sabre uses old style red-white-blue RAF roundels on the wings, and the roo on the fusleage)

Sheriff: that would be super easy to re-do for the Sabre, just make a new decal for the wings, drop it in the decal folder, adjust the pointer in the decals ini --for the wings only-, and just use the 'roo rooundel' for the fuselage (that one's stock).

So, as to the type of roundel, blue/white/red for the lower, and blue/red only for the top???

Must find some pics...I'm off!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Like this???

raaf_avon_sabre_newroundels.jpg

simple job..extract the RAF roundel, rename to "WRoundel", adjust decal ini to match. If you folks want, I can upload it?

Canberra B.20 is fix also, in fact, I made a complete RAAF version

Now, if I can just get the airfields straightened out on Edwards Darwin map......lots of terrain flattening needed to match the moves of the WW2 airfields to their 'present' locations -- gotta love Google Earth!!! Then get the defenses built for Oz and the countries north...

Wrench

kevin stein