Sign in to follow this  
ebe2000

F-4E Phantom Reskin Request

Sirs;

I am a retired AF crewchief that worked on the Phantom from 1972 until my medical retirement in 89. I would like to know if someone could help me out in getting a reskin for WoV or SFP1 of the E model Phantom. The jet in particular that I would like to get is my old jet when I was stationed in Iceland with the 57th FIS.

I have already installed the two that I could find one of the old C model, and one of the early E model paint scheme with the double row of black and white chekerboard on the tail. The jet that I took care of for three years was the Air Forces Iceland Commanders jet from 1980 to 83. It was tail number 66-0382. This jet had a unique paint job. It was one of the first jets to come from depot with the gloss polyurethane gray paint job. What set this jet apart was the appilication of red white and blue vertical stripes on the vari-ramps (intake splitters) in the center of the ramp was the AFI insignia. on the right side of the fuselage above the U.S. AIR FORCE on the side was the ADTAC (Air Defense Tactical Air Command) insignia. This was what we became when ADCOM was absorped by TAC. On the left side of the fuselage in the same location was a black knights head.

I have the a complete set of color photos that were taken and submitted to HQ TAC in Langley to get auth. to deviate from the standard paint scheme. I have tried to make a skin on my own, but have not had any luck in doing so. So I turn to the experts for help. If there is a skin painter that would be willing to help me out am make a skin of my jet, I would be eternally grateful to them. This jet was the Wing Commanders jet, and participated in numerious active air intercepts, was a participant in Combat Pike in 1982, and was the flagship for the squadron when we went to William Tell 82. That was the last year that an ACTIVE duty airforce unit participated with the Phantom. There were a couple of other units that participated later on but they were ANG units.

I thank you all for listening to my ramblings and maybe someone can gimme me a hand. Thanks again.

Max

The direct link doesn't seem to work, so to see pix of 66-0382 do the following:

Click this link. In the 'Registration:' field enter 66-0382, and finally click 'Show me the photos!'

Edited by Blade

The direct link doesn't seem to work, so to see pix of 66-0382 do the following:

Click this link. In the 'Registration:' field enter 66-0382, and finally click 'Show me the photos!'

Good photos of the jet. The ones I have date from 1981, when I scan them, you will also notice that it has a personalization in the form of a name just aft of the gun muzzle. My jet was named "NOSTROMO" about that time frame, we had names for most of the jets in the squadron, not an officially sancationed act but we did it nontheless. I recall some of the jets names like 0370 was named Cow Patty, 336 was Lil Gin, a play on the fact for some reason that number two engine went thru about four CSD's and Generators, and 304 was originally called Cosmic Creeper, that is until the reas canopy departed the aircraft, then it became Cosmic Convertable. 330 was named Burrito One. I will try to figure out how to post the photos so you all can see them. They are as I had said, the ones sent to HQ TAC for approval for paint scheme deviation. It also seems that my pet name made it thru the approval process.

I dont think that the 382 in the last photo is the same jet, I had been told that it had been sold to the ROKAF. Mine was the 66 model. I can confirm that but I think that jet in the photo is not the same one.

Max

Guest Saganuay82

Closer?

F4ADCOM.jpg

Closer?

F4ADCOM.jpg

Wow, you are fast......

ADC skins always had a little more flavor to them, especially on the F-4. Those always reminded me of the colorful Marine and Navy F-4s.

Guest Saganuay82

Lots of details yet, especially that badge on the right intake and the one over the US AirForce, tail serials, grey tanks. Knights head on the left.

ebe what is the AFI insignia? Been around the USAF and that is the first time I have seen that.

Got it Air Force Iceland. Also after further research and that is your jet in the pic. Only one 66-382 in the entire F-4 inventory. Checking to see if it went to ROKAF after it was retired from AD.

Guest Saganuay82
ADCGrey.jpg

The AFI insignia will scan and post it asap.

max

all of these jets look great! the way that this one is presented it is the same scheme as the squadron CO's jet of the 57th. That would have been tail number 66-0345. stand by for the AFI insignia.

max again.

Guest Saganuay82

Enough for tonight

morework.jpg

Guest Saganuay82

Pics Chief, wheres your pics?

Here is that Kef shield.

He ask me to post it.

Guest Saganuay82

Good enough. Does he have pics of the plane itself? His pics?

Good enough. Does he have pics of the plane itself? His pics?

yes he sent me a bunch.....

now how much money you got!?!? :rofl:

both of us are making this skin... :haha:

Come up on ICQ

Guest Saganuay82

Well, if you're doing it, I can drop mine cause I can't compare to your quality.