I was talking to USAFMTL about this briefly, and here's some more info:

Linka

In 1961, two A4D-2 Skyhawks (BuNos 148490 and 148483) were borrowed by the U.S. Army and modified by Douglas for evaluation in competition with the Northrop N-156 (predecessor of the F-5) and an Italian Fiat G-91, for operations from unimproved airfieds near front lines. Modificatons of the Army Skyhawk included large dual wheels on beefed-up main landing gear mounts; a heavier wing to house the larger landing gear; and installation of an A-3 Skywarrior drag chute. Flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood, the modified "Army" Skyhawk won the competition, but the project was cancelled when Army funds were diverted to helicopter procurment.

-----------

n156f.jpg

The N-156 was very well liked, and when it lost the competition, the N-156 aircraft was rebuilt into the YF-5A prototype.

----------

The Army also sent two pilots to the Tripartite testing program when the original Harrier Prototype was sent over here (the XV-6), and was interested in it; but the USAF blocked any further interest.

Edited by MKSheppard

The Army also sent two pilots to the Tripartite testing program when the original Harrier Prototype was sent over here (the XV-6), and was interested in it; but the USAF blocked any further interest.

frickin zoomies...

Hey what can I say? Not my fault

How do you Ai Force guys feel about switching everything back... GO Army Air Corps?

Figured that would get some emotional responses as well as dissertations as to why and why not :wink:

ehh i just got 2 words for ya FLY NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

ehh i just got 2 words for ya FLY NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ditto

To fold the USAF into the army again would be madness, nevermind the budgetary issues....

It'd be kinda cool to go back to the old roundels and color schemes on modern jets. Varying shades of gray are pretty boring to fly dozens of campaign missions. Been painting skins of this theme(mostly IL2 ATM), maybe I'll upload the ones I feel look good enough not to be laughed at when compared to all the great skins already out there.

Have a better idea. Fold Army aviation and Navy aviators into the Air Force and let the flying be done by one organization that does it well. Bet the accident rate would go down.....!

This ought to stir the hornet's nest.........................