Sign in to follow this  
nele

MiG-23B/BN (for WOE)

Here are -two- versions of cheaper attack version of Flogger- MiG-23B and MiG-23BN for WOE. They use stock "MiG-27" airframe that is actually much closer to the MiG-23B/BN. They are "unified" (performance-wise) with my modification of Flogger figher and -27D/K series.

The development of attack version of MiG-23 begun almost in parralel with basic fighter version, in the second half of '60es, following the requirement to build an airframe that would have high performance and to be built fast. It was basically a MiG-23S airframe with radar deleted and some purpose-built gadgeds installed (armor, navigation&bombing) Soon it was discovered that nose cone (that was made of light alloy, replacing the radome) obstruct view and that R-27 engine is too weak to handle required 3 tons of bombs. Therefore, MiG buerau adopted the nose from abandoned MiG-21Sh and then-new and still secret Lyulka Al-21 engine.

Lyulka was a development of who-knows-how obtained General Electric J79-3B, the engine used in F-4B Phantom. It was rather attractive powerplant, with variable-incidence compressor with titanium blades. Since the Soviet-built version had entirely redesigned compressor, it was much more powerful and efficient then both of its unwilling "parent", J79 and R-27. The same engine was already in use in ealy versions of Su-17, and was to be the powerplant of new Su-24.

The new attack version was marked MiG-23B. It was not just a fighter with a flattened nose-it had a "Fon" laser rangefinder, very good inertial navigation system with autopilot (in which entire route could be programmed) and bombing sight. It also got armor and two additional strongpoints at the rear of the fuselage (capable of 500kg each, but limited to 250 due to CG worries). Multi-bomb racks partially solved the problem of only four basic hardpoints (but made underfuselage bomb-mounting and a centerline tank very tedious job :rolleyes: ) Also, later it received onboard SPS-141 jammer (bulges over the wing harpoints).

You can find MiG-23B ini files hereMiG_23B.zip. Not built in many samples, this aircraft is the "father" of entire attack series (23BN and 27K/M/D).

Due to shortage of Al-21F-3 engines, the team had to swithch to new R-29 engine (developed from R-27) used in MiG-23M. It was heavier and builkier, but was very reliable and much simpler of Al-21F. It also had higher fuel consumption, but it did not have much impact onto aircraft performance. It was also more powerful, and its installation allowed additional armour. The first engine was a fighter R-29 with simpler afterburner-designated R-29A. Later versions got R-29B engine specially modified for low-level ride (the same engine as on MiG-27).

The modified aircraft got some new electronics and modified bombsight, after which letter in its designation ("N") entire aircraft got the name- MiG-23BN. It was also much easier to manufacture, because differences between figter and attack airframes were much smaller. Even variable intakes were kept, but were unpowered on later versions with R-29B engines.

Ini files for MiG-23BN "Flogger-H" can be found hereMiG_23BN.zip.

The type was mainly exported, and was relatively quickly supplanted with MiG-27s in Soviet Union as their number grew. It was more liked by some pilots then MiG-27, as it was lighter (especilly than MiG-27K) and easier to operate. Also, its dumb bomb-loading capability was equal in the terms of practice load, and laser rangefinder made less-capable GSH-23 and unguided missiles quite useful. If there was any conventional war, the number of these cheaper and reliable aircraft would probeably be much higher than that of MiG-27's.

Installation: copy the folder from the archive in \objects\aircraft folder of your WOE installation. You will also need Su-17 cockpit (actually, any single-engined fighter cockpit should do) in the \objects\aircraft\cockpit folder. The rest of the files are the part of WOE installation. I have the files extracted at home and have somewhat different paint scheme, so please notify me if I need to modify this instruction.

Please note: in "hard" mode, these aircraft display particulary violent spin, different than my other "Floggrers". They will make you sweat riding it out-or eject! I don't know the cause for this-and it was hard for me to find it because of the different layout of "stock" ini files, it is hard to track, so if you find an error...

Nele

Please note: in "hard" mode, these aircraft display particulary violent spin

That's interesting, Nele. Will have to try that out. From what I understand spinning wasn't introduced into the flight engine until First Eagles, but maybe that's incorrect information? Would be nice to retrofit your "problem" into other aircraft.

And thanks again for another interesting lesson on Soviet aircraft. :good:

thank you

it s a good idea and great work :hi:

ps: how can we find another skin for this plane

Well, it kinda rotates around Z-axis after gets into stall first, then tumbles. It flies straight, turns straight, and I checked&changed wings for prevention twice. I should have done "per-component" testing (with some surfaces keyed) but I didn't have time for it.

If you people find that I reversed something (like the rudder I forgot to correct!!!) please report before I put it in the download section.

As for scheme-I did a quick mod at home by extracting bmp's from CAT file, and then shifted tone a little and bleached it. Just be sure to use same mod setting on all BMP's. No Photoshop-like monster needed, ACDsee and IrfanView can do this. :smile: The result is two-tone on gray. More like Indian, but...

Other way is to make a color swap. I take a color scheme bmp-jpg from the web, then I exchange colors with those. -I shall also try to make a template as I would like to make earliest MiG-23B's that were gray.

Also, Cuban BN's are quite nice colorful birds, blue on blue with gaudy flag, I shall try to do it out of fun :smile:

Nele

That's interesting, Nele. Will have to try that out. From what I understand spinning wasn't introduced into the flight engine until First Eagles, but maybe that's incorrect information? Would be nice to retrofit your "problem" into other aircraft.

And thanks again for another interesting lesson on Soviet aircraft. :good:

Spins have been possible since the initial release of the series (SF in 2002), if one is willing to spend 3-4x the normal time required to produce a basic flight model, and experiment with post-stall behavior.

Edit & Update: Here's an example: http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1186108..._43_2672101.wmv

Spins have been possible since the initial release of the series (SF in 2002), if one is willing to spend 3-4x the normal time required to produce a basic flight model, and experiment with post-stall behavior.

Edit & Update: Here's an example: http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1186108..._43_2672101.wmv

I stand corrected. Thanks for the movie - it doesn't look like a recoverable spin. Maybe it shouldn't be in the example shown. Guess lowering the gear didn't help..

Too bad it's not easy to do. Would be nice to have accelerated stalls and spins. Will make do, though with what we have.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the movie - it doesn't look like a recoverable spin. Maybe it shouldn't be in the example shown. Guess lowering the gear didn't help..

Too bad it's not easy to do. Would be nice to have accelerated stalls and spins. Will make do, though with what we have.

F-86F, power to idle, pushed through stall at onset, ignored extreme wing rock, started to spin, extended flaps and air brakes, lowered and raised gear to disturb airflow, applied opposite rudder and pushed down on stick to recover:

http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1186108..._43_5652939.wmv

For MiG-23M I used slight wing AoA differece and engine torque, plus a few lines from Fubar :blush2: But behavior here is excessive (B/BN) although it is (almost) the same FM, but in different data.ini.

I shall have to copy it to SFP1 installation to see if the problem continues.

Newbies with WOE and SFP1-you can do it too, you have to unpack OBJECT.CAT from WOE and include all MiG27xxx.LOD and MiG27_shadow.SHD file in the B/BN directory, plus MiG27xx.BMP files in SovietCamo1 directory.

And try color swap for "new" color shemes, does a ton of difference :smile:

Some color schemes of BN at http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/mig23bn.html (bottom page)

Nele

Here are -two- versions of cheaper attack version of Flogger- MiG-23B and MiG-23BN for WOE. They use stock "MiG-27" airframe that is actually much closer to the MiG-23B/BN. They are "unified" (performance-wise) with my modification of Flogger figher and -27D/K series.

THANK YOU NELE :clapping:

Every Mig fan is happy now :spartak: :bb: :fans: