Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Daggers Radar Tutorial posted in the Sections area!

The radar tutorial is complete and I've posted it on the site. Take a look at it and let us know if there is anything missing or incomplete. I have a feeling we will add a little bit to it after we get a better feel of the limitations of each aircraft's radar systems and peculiarities. :D

Dagger's Radar Tutorial

Cool! Thanks Dagger for doin it and Jeff for hosting it.

Thanks for the tutorial Dagger. I finally read the ENTIRE manual yesterday at work, (hehehe), and with your tutorial, its all starting to come into focus. I found one thing I was doing wrong was trying to use "T" to cycle thru radar targets when I needed to use "Home". "T" is for visual targets...duh...

...its hard being me, espesially early in the morning before coffee...

I have to add that MadJeff made a huge contribution to the artical..he added somethings I left out...So alot of the credit goes to him.

About the Sparrows: If you are at the maximum launch distance for the AIM-7, and you know that there are two or more enemies in front of you, you can pickle off mulitiple missiles.

It really only depends on your ability to select a new, and different, radar target quickly enough for the second (And third, if you're good) missile to re-acquire. SO, if it takes you five seconds to acquire a new radar target (Keeping in mind the time it takes for the radar itself to acquire the target), then launch a second Sparrow six seconds after the first. When you see your first missile hit, or hear a confirmation, quickly deselect the current target, and lock up another one. The second sparrow will now lock on and take out a second target, in much less time than it would take to launch a second missile from scratch.

A normally get about a 75% hit ratio with the second missile. It really only depends on how much time you wait from the first missile. The more time, the greater the chance of the missile to hit.

Good point, I think we should add that to the article! OK with you Dagger?

By all means...any help is always appriciated.Also to automatically try to lock up your visual target the default keys are Shift-Insert.Also don't forget that terrain can mask your target,and alot of times once you lose visual contact you'll also lose radar lock.

Also not about the radar but when you fire a Sidewinder don't forget these are REAR aspect missiles and WON'T track unless fired at a target from the rear..also they can be fooled by things like flares,and even the sun.

One little tip I'm gonna be working on is redoing the sound of a locked-on AIM-9 or AIM-4. If you've ever played F-15 or F/A-18 you'll remember the sound is quite a bit louder than that of SF. I'm gonna be looking for a better sound to replace the original.

I don't know about you, but when you're running at full AB, its pretty hard to distinguish between locked on or not.

I have a short (5 sec) wave file that features the growl of an AIM-9, that I would be more than happy to email to anybody proficient in sound editing. Its part of a 7 minute radio recording of two F-14 pilots shooting down two MiGs, so you can be sure of it's authenticity.

Remind me NOT to get in a dogfight with you SD...I HATE getting waxed... :lol:

Hahaha, thanks for the compliment, pc! I woudln't get too frightened though, I am still trying to unlearn some habits from Il-2. I gotta keep telling myself, "Keep your energy up!"