Dave

Getting Started

Fellas in an effort to the help the new guys what mods are amust? What should you download after patching? I am going to make this is a sticky and I need your help. Thanks.

max188's high res remake of the stock terrain and if you prefer max's tiles, Sopwith Snipe made an adaptation for Edward's Flanders Terrain.

Gepard's Vogesen terrain

peter01's FMs

All those 3rd party A/C and skins...

Let's see...

Edward's replacement tiles for Verdun

Peter's FMs (a must download!)

Flanders Terrain by Charles

Bloody April Campaign by Charles (includes some nice addons)

Thicker, Fuller clouds for FE ( at the risk of tooting my own horn... )

Hi-res Buildings by Max188

Breaking part Sound ( me, tooting again )

Tailspin's worn airfield

Smoke Effects Pack v2 by Laton ( VITAL for good immersion! )

Early war Aircraft

DH2 (this plane sold me on First Eagles)

Sopwith Triplane ( A favorite! )

Nieuport 11 Bebe ( Another favorite! )

Fokker E.III

Fokker E.IIIa (two guns)

Albatross DI, DII, DIIL (A-Team I think)

Halberstadt DII

Late war Aircraft

Fokker Dr.1

Albatross D.III ( Very Nice! )

Halberstadt D.III

Pfalz D.III ( gorgeous! )

Bristol Fighter F2.b

Sopwith Pup

Sopwith Camel F.1

Nieuport 17a, 17b, 17 C.1

Nieuport 24

Look for skins for the Fokker Dr.1 and Albatross D.III and Fokker D.7

There's been some fabulous artwork for these planes.

Getting the Environmental stuff first is the key IMHO. It draws you in and

gives you a sense of "being there". Once you get that "feel" then, wanting

more and more addon planes is only natural.

Cheers!

ShrikeHawk

Fellas in an effort to the help the new guys what mods are amust? What should you download after patching? I am going to make this is a sticky and I need your help. Thanks.

Hi all...don't seem to be too many people getting started but I thought I would make my first post. I was a big fan of European Air War a while back but went off flight sims for a while. Came across First Eagles and thought I would give it a try. I have had a bit of a fly, down loaded a couple of skins but am finding it a bit hard to locate stuff efficiently...the search engine seems pretty crappy! Also I use DAP and only seem to be able to download stuff from the mirror sites...this isn't really a problem but the link to Laton's smoke effects pack doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, there is a lot of stuff and it seems I will have to put a bit of effort in to setting the game up...but that is part of the fun. Just wish it was all set out a bit better!

Tally Ho!

If the intent is to fly multiplayer, then I strongly suggest Jelly's, Hamachi, Teamspeak with headset, and HyperLobby. I would suggest a special folder with suggested mmp planes (TBD). This is all in the future, but it wouldn't hurt to be thinking about it.

Also, as an aside, I had some problems earlier with the worn dromes and using BOTH the replacement tiles and the hi-res files with the Vogesen terrain. I settled on the replacement tiles. In this vein, I would suggest the drome re-orientation and Flanders parked planes.

How difficult would it be to maintain a site or FTP where all these elements could be found? I would offer my old Earthlink RB3D Cold War site, but the 5 MG limitation is crippling.

Don't want to come off as rude or anything. :no:

I'm also new to First Eagles (I have FE and I have the Expansion Pack 1). I've done a few missions started a campaign and so on.

I've found it very difficult to find the addons. Would it be ok if you guys posted links to the downloads? In other communities I've been involved in usually on a thread like this they link essential mods either as a sticky or on the thread.

Some of the items mentioned, for example the Phalz III, you can't just "get it". In fact you can't download it anywhere except for a specific website that requires you to send in your personal information (name, city, state) before you are approved to download that aircraft. The Phalz III you find on Combat Ace are only skins for the aboved mentioned model.

Also, we're not told whether the aircraft we download has a cockpit or not, specific sounds, and so on. Finally some folks should know that there is a daily limit to how much you can download from the Combat Ace download section. This limit is very low, it's been the lowest I've experienced ever (Mbrepository for Mount & Blade has a much higher limit, and other sites use Megaupload). But that's beside the point.

Just make sure you've decided on what you want to download before you go crazy downloading and have to wait a day before you can download something again. I believe I downloaded two items (Flanders Fields terrain, a campaign (less than 2mb), and the real gunsounds mod, and then I was locked out for 24 hours.

Please don't take this as complaints, just wishing to warn other new guys out there like me.

I am also finding trouble getting the add on aircraft. For example where is the Bristol F2b Spowith Pup and triplane?

Any help gratefully recieved!!

Hello chaps.I've just started to get back into this game after buying the expansion and adding a few of the mods suggested by shrike hawk :good:

The problem is though I'd only been able to download a few of the suggested goodies before getting a message informing me I'm not entitled to anything else today. So I try again the next day and I'm still not entitled :dntknw:

Could anybody please help as I would love to try out some more of this stuff. I was just getting very into the pieces I had got but this has put a bit of a dampner on it; especially as I can't seem to get this stuff anywhere else.

Thanks in advance, Mc.Duff222

I am also finding trouble getting the add on aircraft. For example where is the Bristol F2b Spowith Pup and triplane?

Any help gratefully recieved!!

i'm almost a newbie, so i recently found this out myself; go to http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

you'll need to first join the forum and then once you're established then you can apply to download from the files section, you will need seperate access to both; forum access does NOT give you access to the files.

howver its worth it for the additional WW1 planes on offer there. you've probably noticed that sopwiths are in REAL short supply here. no matter cos they've got the lot! clapping.gif sopwith triplane, pup, dolphin and snipe, yessss.

i'm almost a newbie, so i recently found this out myself; go to http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

you'll need to first join the forum and then once you're established then you can apply to download from the files section, you will need seperate access to both; forum access does NOT give you access to the files.

howver its worth it for the additional WW1 planes on offer there. you've probably noticed that sopwiths are in REAL short supply here. no matter cos they've got the lot! clapping.gif sopwith triplane, pup, dolphin and snipe, yessss.

You will need Peter01's flight models for all those add-on planes found here in the CombatAce First Eagles download section. Simple copy and paste install. Nice of you guys to join us heregood.gif .

I'm a newbe and not good on computers. So much so I don't know how to get a skin into a sim.

I have the First Eagles 2 sim and would love to use some of the skins within this Combat Ace web site. I'd really love to use the Nieuport 17 and a Sopwith Triplane if there's a skin of one. Also my computer is pretty old it's a Windows XP computer and the game runs. It is not so good though as any movement on my old ThrustmasterTopGun Fox 2Pro USB joy stick and the plane is all over very hard to get a bead on an enemy plane.

My question is can someone give me a step by step walk through on how to install and use a skin from this site into First Eagles 2?

I'm an RC flyer and just got into building and flying Micro RC WWI birds. I've attached a picture of some of my most recent builds and mods wing spans are 14" and they fly great the Albatroses are FlyZone mods, the Sopwith is a friends foam laser kit and the Nieuport 17 is a scratch built from an enlarged paper model plan to 2mm Depron foam.

Thanks for your help, post-73048-0-36404300-1324124196.jpgI'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mtflyr

Wow! Nice models - and they fly, too? Lovely collection!

As for installing skins in FE2, there are two things to note I think.

1. In FE2, all mods, including skins, are installed to your so-called 'Mods' folder, which is not where you installed the sim itself (usually in Program Files), it's in C:[your user name]/Saved games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/, followed by the folder(s) appropriate for the particular mod.* In general, the files for a skin go into C:/[your user name]/Saved games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Decals/D and maybe C:/[your user name]/Saved games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Aircraft, depending on what comes with the skin.

* this is for Vista; for your O/S, Win XP, the path to your 'mods' folder may be somewhat different

2. This is different from how it worked with the original First Eagles (where everything went instead in tosubfolders within the main sim install folder) SO the install instructions that come with a skin may well be for FE(1) and will therefore need to be adapted, to use the FE2 'mods' folder instead.

Same with installing planes that are not designed for FE2; they egnerally work fine but it can take a bit of fiddling about the get the skins working, even tho the plane itself may be fine.

This skin has separate installs for FE and FE2, complete with folder paths, so if you have a look at the FE2 one, you will see what files go where, for a fairly typical FE2 skin install: http://combatace.com...viatik-d1-skin/

Edited by 33LIMA

Thanks 33LIMA.

Yes, they all fly great the micro e birds today are very cool. FlyZone has the Albatros and now a new DR-1.

Thanks for the info not sure if I can figure it out but I'll give it a try. Does it make any difference that I got the FE2 as a down load from Third Wire? Would the files be different?

Thanks,

Mtflyr

No it's the same, I got FE2 as a download, too. It's well worth getting the hang of installing mods in FE2 (including those made for 'FE1') as they add soooo much to the sim, not least a plane set a good deal bigger than OFF and probably bigger than god old Red Baron 3d, too. In a few cases it can be complicated (eg I had to do a bit of fiddling to get the markings to show up for the FE8 and some other planes) but mostly once you've done it once, it's second nature.

Just looked it up - for XP, your mods folder is: \Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents\ThirdWire\FirstEagles2\

Don't forget to visit the SkunkWorks WW1 download page, where you can get many of the extra planes available for First Eagles (you need to request access and get a password by by email, first, and abide by the rules on downloads, VERY well worth it for the great planes available only there, like the BE2c and Pfalz D3, D3a and D12):

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

Other downloads (mostly designed for FE1 but all work with FE2, provided you install them to your 'mods' folder) I'd recommend are:

Flanders Terrain: http://combatace.com...anders-terrain/

Peter01's flight model for the realistic 'Hard' setting: http://combatace.com...nov-2008-patch/ (if you fly on 'Hard', this mod is vital as the FMs of many of the user-made planes don't function properly on 'Hard'; also this mod tones down the effectiveness of rear gunners, which otherwise are very dangerous to the player and much more lethal to computer-flown pilots)

Bloody April campaign, provides a campaign which uses the Flanders tarrain and many of the earlier planes available incl the Nieuport 17, DH2, FE2, Roland CII etc: http://combatace.com...ody-april-1917/

Cambrai campaign; same battle as the stock one but using the Flanders terrain and more varietuy in planes: http://combatace.com...8-cambrai-1917/

...plus your choice of 'effects' and terrain mods and all the planes you can get hold of (user-made campaigns invariably require you to download and install at least some extra planes)!

Edited by 33LIMA

:superstition: Thanks,I'm A Newbie Here.I've Always Had Trouble Installing Mods/Addons When They Are ZipFiles,Etc. And Don't Have Auto Install.

:superstition: Thanks,I'm A Newbie Here.I've Always Had Trouble Installing Mods/Addons When They Are ZipFiles,Etc. And Don't Have Auto Install.

Welcome aboard Dale!

Yeah, self-installers are neat, but so much content for so many great sims is in compressed files these days, so it's well worth getting the hang of it. After a bit of practice you'll soon get the hang of it!

The payback, in FE terms anyway, is getting to give the V-strutters a tase of their own medicin in the add-on Bloody April campaign, over the add-on flanders terrain, in your add-on Sopwith Pup:

Welcome aboard Dale!

Yeah, self-installers are neat, but so much content for so many great sims is in compressed files these days, so it's well worth getting the hang of it. After a bit of practice you'll soon get the hang of it!

The payback, in FE terms anyway, is getting to give the V-strutters a tase of their own medicin in the add-on Bloody April campaign, over the add-on flanders terrain, in your add-on Sopwith Pup:33Lima,I Need Alittle Help.[i'm Confused!] I Tried Downloading Your RE-8 And I got As Far As Where You Open The Archive-------:blink: Thanks,Dale

Hi all,

After being a massive fan of Red Baron 2 all those years ago and spending far too much time on WON, I have finally come back to WWI flight sims and loving it! :) Just downloaded FE2. I am looking forward to downloading all these awesome improvements to the game, but I am a bit of a newbie at it all; I downloaded Edward's Verdun tiles, it says to copy the files into the wwiverdun folder in Terrains, but wwiverdun is a .CAT (security catalogue) and I can't open it or copy files across to it, I'm probably being daft, but any tips?

Thanks.

FE2 file structure is similar to the SF2 series. the game makes folders for the mods in the "saved games" folder.you'll need to make the folders yourself and drop the file in there.This SF2 link might be helpful,just bear in mind to replace FE2 with SF2 http://combatace.com/topic/62302-what-is-the-mod-folder/

FE2 file structure is similar to the SF2 series. the game makes folders for the mods in the "saved games" folder.you'll need to make the folders yourself and drop the file in there.This SF2 link might be helpful,just bear in mind to replace FE2 with SF2 http://combatace.com...the-mod-folder/

Awesome thanks whiteknight06604, that's great. Sorted & working. :)

hi guys, slowly getting the hang of adding things to FE2, and have applied to the skunkworks A team website. But I have a question regarding cloud mods, I have tried a couple (Shrikehawks and Gumpys IL2) and put them in my mods folder. But when in-game the sky is just flat light blue and swaps to flat white. Any tips?

Thanks all. :)

SpinyNorman.

I think there's a DX10 shader issue with some of the eariler ones. Maybe try Stary's SARCASM mod; it was designed for SF2, so should work in FE2 (we hope!). I don't run any clouds mods in my FE2..so.... :dntknw:

http://combatace.com/files/file/12836-sarcasm-slightly-artistic-representation-of-clouds-and-sky-mod-v-13/

if not working, it's a simple 'delete stuff'

I think there's a DX10 shader issue with some of the eariler ones. Maybe try Stary's SARCASM mod; it was designed for SF2, so should work in FE2 (we hope!). I don't run any clouds mods in my FE2..so.... :dntknw:

http://combatace.com...d-sky-mod-v-13/

if not working, it's a simple 'delete stuff'

ok thanks Wrench. :)