Sign in to follow this  

Problems with Hotas?

I Just saw a poll on the HOTAS and I am wondering what everyone here thinks about'em. I have one and its maybe a month old and I have the Speedbrake switch problem. Check this thread out

http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/showthread....?threadid=21169

I hope it's better than what these guys are saying. Has anyone here had any problems?

I'm just hoping I didn't throw $300.00 down for something that I end up having to replace in a year. Thanks for your help.

Damn, I didn't realize they were having that many problems with them. I was originally going to pre-order one before they were released but decided to hold off due to my busy schedule lately. Now I wonder if I should just jump to the USB CH Products stuff. I currently own a gameport CH ForceFX/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedal setup and am very happy with it other than no programming it in XP.

Hey Schizo66,

A while back I was hesitant about acquiring the TM Cougar, like you I also appealed for info from the BioHaz community. I know the Cougar is still a bit expensive, but believe its worth the money. Though I can't comment in its internal workings, I have no problems with its physical build nor buttons or Hats. My Cougar is currently setup to work with F4-SP3, Jane's F-18 and Jane's F-15 (I usually don't play survey sims, SF-P1 is currently off my system, I'm not griping aganist SF) and, there hasn't been any problems relating to gameplay nor programming.

In reference to durability, I've had the HOTAS about 5 months now, and since Mid-April (after finals @ college) its been getting a fairly solid work-out, I usually Sim for hours on end. A few weeks ago a accidentally dropped it and though it suffered a minor scratch, it works fine.

I clean my PCs, HOTAS weekly in-addition to the gaming room. About a month ago I ordered a pair of HOTAS covers for my COUGAR and Suncom SFS Throttle and F-15E Talon stick. The Cougar gets a lot of care.

Hey MJ,

I had your same setup and was dumb (or nice?) enough to give it to a friend thats a little cash strapped. I kind of wish I had of saved them as a back-up. Bye the way, I don't know if this is useful to you or not but you can get a gameport to usb connector from radio shack or online. I don't know if its faster or a better connect or not but I did not know this until after I gave the CH Stuff away. I have NEVER had any problems with any of my CH stuff and I like the feel better.

Hey Bacardi,

Thanks for the advice, I am going to get the covers and I'll make sure I keep it clean. I usually keep my pcs clean but my place gets a bit dusty so I think the covers will help. After reading the earlier link/thread that I posted hopefully I am a little paranoid too. :lol:

Thanks,

Schizo66

So, you need to frequently clean the Cougar? Like, exactly what needs cleaning? Also, compared to my X-45, I'd like to know about the Cougar's durability. I mean, if something that high quality suffers from bad pots and spikage, seems like my X-45 definately would, probably is, and I just don't realize it.

Schizo66,

I got the HOTAS Covers @ http://www.hotascovers.com/covers.htm

the covers (one each for the throttle and stick) are made from a fleece like material and comes complete with a pair of "Remove before flight" tags.

They're a must have for any HOTAS owners.

Bacardi, about the Suncom stick and throttle. Always wanted one, and would have bought one instead of the X-45 if I could have. Curious though, how many games allow you to use the split throttle?

Thanks for the help everone!!!

I just bought a Cougar and have an alignment problem with the speedbrake toggle. I read a thread that I posted in the first post and here it is again. Please read it.

http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/showthread....?threadid=21169

I was a little concerned about it after I read this thread that's all. I have had several joysticks from both CH and TM, this is the first problem or concern that I have had from either one.

I liked my CH Pro throttle and F-16 stick with my TM rudder pedals because they lasted so long and the movement was effortless.

Here's a list of what I can remember what I've owned...

Ch Flightstick

CH Pro Flightstick that lasted forever,

TM Top gun (can't rememeber) but was an early model Throttle and Flightstick.

CH F-16 Fighterstick and Pro Throttle gameport, same TM rudders...

still worked when given away. Except I still own rudders.

Top Gun Afterburner USB that worked great. I just wore it out after 2 years. Inexpensive too.

Top Gun Afterburner Pro that I still use on my second machine and works great. Same as above.

CH Flight Sim Yoke gameport.

Ch Flight Sim Yoke Pro USB that I use for FS02.

MS Sidewinder Game voice.

TM Hotas Cougar w/ pedals (same ones from above that I have had for years).

The reason I liked the Top Gun Afterburner series and still use one on my second machine is because you can set the rudder to a rocker on the throttle. It works well for me and if it breaks I am only out 60 or 70 bucks. I trashed the first one after 2 years because I also used it for Madden 2002. Playing calls and changing formations can take a lot of input.

I wasn't trying to criticize either manufacturer or offend anyone in any of my posts, I was just trying to see if anyone had the same problem and maybe find a fix. I have it set up now to my game voice so I just say speed brakes and they work so it's really no big deal.

Thanks for all the help and if I came across the wrong way it was completely unintentional. I was just looking for info and trying to pass some on.

Jim (Schizo66)

Schizo66,

I understand your concern and its one that is well noted. I visited the like you provided, there seems to be a few numbered Cougar owners whom are experiencing a few "problems" hopefully they are only minor. It's an issue that I will follow closely.

Hey SDirickson,

Concerning the Cougar cleaning issue, the rig doesn't need any additional specific attention than one would usually give to their HOTAS, as we all know its the fine dust particles that accumulates overtime between the throttle slide, the stick base, buttons, etc...that may eventually lead to problems (for all HOTAS). I usually use a can of compressed air and alcohol wipes to clean both. I've had my Suncom HOTAS since its introduction and with regular cleaning its looks almost brand new and works perfectly.

Concerning the Suncom SFS split throttle, to my knowledge (and its limited to flight sims) there aren't any games that I know of that support the split throttle feature. I've used the rig with Jane's F-15/F-18/USAF/IAF, SF-P1, F-22 TAW, Novalogic F-16/Mig-29/F-22 II&III, F4-SP3(single motor) and the split throttle feature was not available. I'm not sure if its supported in Flanker 2.5 to date I haven't played the sim. I'll have get a copy to prepare for the Flankers and Migs in LO-MAC

Your question is rightfully valid.

Guys,

This may be a long shot but are there any games past or present that supports the Suncom split throttle feature? any info. would be greatly appreciated.

I've had my Cougar for a while now and the problems I have had are as follows: Had to replace x-axis pot, had to replace throttle pot, and my spd brk switch quit working so here's how I fixed it, I opened up the throttle, and found that the housing for the switch was made of plastic and that the plastic had cracked. I found the smallest zip-ties I could find and tightened them around the switch housing. This fixed the switch without even having to remove it from the throttle handle. I still love my Cougar and would not want to go back to the CH F-16 stick I had before, as I really like the higher stick forces of the Cougar, and of course theres no substitue for the feel of cold, heavy metal in your hands! - Sledge out.