Sign in to follow this  
Wolf_Fangs

Some Friendly Help Please

Hello Everybody,

I am new here to Strike Fighters. I am really enjoying it alot. After playing flight sim's like Fighter Ace,Aces High,IL-2 Sturmovik,and IL-2:Forgotten Battles,I needed a bit of a change. Im not much of a jet buff,but I've alway's loved the F-4E Phantom. A friend told me about this sim and I went out and bought it. I am using Strike Fighters to get me used to the jet flight sim's. I'm really looking forward to Lock On when it's released. I'm drawn to it because of the A-10 Warthog which is another jet I've loved.

Anyway's,I've been skinning planes for IL-2 and IL-2:FB and would really like to paint a few planes for Stike Fighters. I've already downloaded some add-on's and some template's. I have even started to paint a F-4E Phantom for my personal use. But I have one small problem. I don't have any marking's for these type's of aircraft. I was wondering if anybody could tell me where I could find a layered template of modern marking's. I'm looking for national marking's,warning marking's,jet intake marking's,and those types. Can anybody help me? I'd really appreciate the help if at all possible. Thank's alot! =S=

Sincerely,

Wolf_Fangs

Guest Ranger332

one way is to get a good pic and cut and past as you please

img00016.jpg

you can have higher res pilot skins, just change the file size to say 800x800, make your changes, then reduce back, this concept is how I got the "Danger Jet Intake" and the "Rescue" legible on the VF-84 skin (2048x2048).

Beer

Ranger, wouldn't that be easier and less confusing to just post a link to the above conversation? It's difficult to discern what you wrote vs what others have wrote.

Using decals is pretty cool to, look for the decal tutorial on this site of search for decals in the forums and see what you can pick up in knowledge, column5 and some others are decal masters.

Cheers

Beer

Hello Guy's,

Thank's for all the suggestion's you've given. But I don't have alot of time to search for let alone read tutorial's. I'm just getting into Strike Fighters and don't want to get my hand's in something I don't have a clue on. I've done that once before. A simple layered template with marking's as I mentioned above is far easier for me. Expecially with the limited time I have online and on the computer. It's much easier for me to place the marking's right onto a layer in a template.

But before I go,could you tell me what resolution's and color depth Strike Fighters can support. I'd really appreciate it since I'm used to the 1024x1024 8bit in IL-2:FB. Thank's again for your help. =S=

That VF-84 Skin started as 4096x4096 and worked in game, I did not realize that the file was 14 megs or so (it zipped to less than 3 megs) when I did the first distribution of it.

I really think looking into the decals is worth your time but if you are not willing to look into it thats your choice.

The country decals are "built in" in game as are nose numbers.

Cheers

Beer

I really think looking into the decals is worth your time but if you are not willing to look into it thats your choice.

The country decals are "built in" in game as are nose numbers.

Cheers

Beer

Hello Beer,

Well I guess I could give it ago when I have the time. That's if it's not to complicated. I am new to Strike Fighters. :) But could you explain to me how these decal's are used. I've added some marking's onto the skin itself,but quality was very poor. I get better resault's in IL-2:FB,even when using a 512x512 template. :roll: I just don't have an understanding to how thing's work in Stirke Fighters. Thank's. =S=

To get sharper quality increase your DPI (dots per Inch) on the skin you are working with, there is a decal tutorial floating around somewhere...the bugger is elusive I thought it was at this site, checked McFlys, and SIMHQ, nojoy, it may be on my HD somewhere.

ANYONE HAVE THE DECAL TUTOIAL???

I will post it for DL if some has it.

Cheers

Beer

Hello Beer,

I looked in another thread posted here about decal's. Somebody posted the link to the decal tutorial,but the page wouldn't show. I looked at quite a few website's but haven't found it. I appreciate all the help. It's nice to join a new forum and meet good people.

As for increasing the DPI,I've download a template for the F-4E Phantom and it was 512x512. But after looking at the beginning of my skin,I wasn't happy with it. So I resized the template to 1024x1024 and I'm still not happy with the resault. What's the limit to resolution for the skin? I might have to increase it a bit more. I've looked at a few skin's I've downloaded and their marking's are very clear. Wish I could get mine like that. Well thank's again. =S=

P.S. Is there anyway to show the fps on the screen while flying?

I uploaded a copy of the decal tutorial here, once MJ see's it it'll be available. :)

:oops::oops::oops:

In my haste to be helpful I sent one without the related images,

and can't replace it yet. If you need it now just leave your e-mail and

I'll send it to you.

Hello Beer,

Thank's alot for all your help. I really appreciate it. I downloaded the decal tutorial and I will look into very soon. Hopefully I'll be able to understand it. Well thank's alot. Have a good one. =S=

P.S. Oops .... I forgot if anyone know's how to make the jet's taxi better? Steering is terrible.