Sign in to follow this  
savagkc

Joystick problems, help

:cry:

I'm at my daughters and she is running Win2K. I have an old Saitek ST220 Digital stick here. The stick has 3 buttons and a trigger on top (no POV) and a throttle. I have tried 2/3/4 buttons, 2 axis and throttle. Nothing works.

Win2K says "OK" for the driver every time but when i try to calibrate the stick, the cross goes haywire for a couple second then comes to rest at the upper left corner. I get no resopnse from moving the stick, buttons, or throttle at all. I have reduced the sound (hardware acceleration) to none (tried each setting here). Nada!

Could use some suggestions.....

thanks,

savagkc

Have you tried updating the sound card drivers in addition to the stick drivers?

this stick uses the drivers from windows according to the saitek site, no special drivers needed.

This entire system was brought to my daughters home (everything worked at my house). Only difference was i was on WinME (its completely gone now).

The biggest change was going from WinME to Win2K (completely removed WinME and everything else). Next biggest was removing the modem and installing a LAN card (but it all works). The Win2K install went like clockwork, no problems at all.

UHOH, i just found a PCI Device with a question mark in the device manager.

Any ideas about - "PCI Bus 0 (zero) Device 31 function 3" ?

The error code is 28 (driver not found/installed) according to MSKB. I dont think this error has anything to do with the joystick tho.

thanks,

savagkc

I can't see how it would recognize your joystick as a PCI device.

Do you have the latest version of DirectX installed?

Did it say on Saiteks website that it would work under Win2k or just Windows? I know that Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP all have whats called a "hardware abstraction layer" that does not allow software direct access to the hardware. Win98, Win98se, and ME don't have it. I won't get into it "take too long" but this may have something to do with it. I know that some hardware and software will not work under NT, Win2k, and xp without specific drivers. Might want to check this out.

Hope this helps.

Saitek site says compatable with WIN2K but dont mention XP.

savagkc