Sign in to follow this  
Fates

OFP 2: Dragon Rising

Annouced for PC and MAJOR CONSOLE?

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/28-08-2007-6307.html

Just the fact that they are announcing this "SIMULATION" for a console is disturbing to me. I'm sure the PC version will have to give up a few things so it can be ported to console, or will that be vice versa?

America's Army is also available for the console and I'm curious as to how much SIMULATION aspect was given up for the arcade style of the consoles. Anyone know?

In a mad dash to save face, Codemasters has announced OFP 3: Across the Bow, OFP 4: First Strike, and OFP 5: UnArmed Assault.

TeamODB news has information that these releases will be every 4 months after the release of OFP 2. They will all be expansion packs available in stores and online for $40 EUR. Each new title will expand on the first. Codemasters will fire a warning shot "Across the Bow" of Bohemia Interactive, then they will launch a "First Strike" and eventually finish the series with "UnArmed Assault" before retiring the title and moving on to something more completely depressing.

I'm not holding out too much hope for OFP2 as it's not BIS.

In related news, ArmA 2 was also announced recently. :grin:

I just hope that the also upcoming patch 1.09 (which will probably come after ArmA's expansion slated to arrive soon, called Queen's Gambit) will fix most issues, though with development well under way with ArmA 2 (since it was already in development whilst ArmA was being made), I think most are expecting to "jump ship" over to ArmA 2... I don't know what to expect from ArmA still, but I think that OFP2: Dragon Rising will be a flop, since the promo video released is mostly FMV, in spite of ingame units and vehicles having been used, the rest probably won't be like what was showed... Something BIS never had to do... :wink:

FMV is almost always a bad sign.

Scratch that, its 2007, its always a bad sign.

I'm part of a large Armed Assault Tournament. All of the members are not happy with Armed Assault, The upcoming expansion, or Armed Assault 2. We are really ticked off because Armed Assault is a striped down version of Virtual Battle Space 2, a uber cool and smooth running trainer for the military. We would buy VBS2 but it cost $2,000. Just search for VB2 on youtube. AA2 isn't going to be ready by next year, but will probably come out in 2009 or 2010.

OK, if the story is about a conflict about Russia and China over a island, what is the US doing in the picture?

I mean judging by the trailer, an Abrams with soldier carrying an M16, than a shot of a hummer and some more american soldiers.

I'm really wondering how there going to put the US in the whole story.

I'm part of a large Armed Assault Tournament. All of the members are not happy with Armed Assault, The upcoming expansion, or Armed Assault 2. We are really ticked off because Armed Assault is a striped down version of Virtual Battle Space 2, a uber cool and smooth running trainer for the military. We would buy VBS2 but it cost $2,000. Just search for VB2 on youtube. AA2 isn't going to be ready by next year, but will probably come out in 2009 or 2010.

That is bascially incorrect, you maybe unhappy with the product but it is not related to VBS2 in that manner, some techonology and advances were used from knowledge gained from the creation of VBS2 and thats about it.

ArmA 2 I am looking forward to playing. ArmA may not of been everything everyone wnated, but neither was OFP, so present you this thought. If arma or ofp did nt exist what would would you be left with in the MilSim Game market that even comes close to replayability and a fully accessible editor?

Rhodite, OFP and ArmA are two things that aren't the same... OFP was well-made and whatever BIS couldn't do, the community made the effort to make better and it deserved its many awards... no matter how rough that gem was at the beguinning. ArmA, on the contrary, was a disappointment when it first came out (worst of all, the czech/german release fiasco as it was already acknowledged by BIS as being rushed), the fact that some of the bugs from OFP had been brought to ArmA, some stuff which was good in OFP was made worse in ArmA, and to top it all off, BIS now announced ArmA 2 before having fixed ArmA to any large extent... and I'm not even going to comment about VBS... All in all it's a shame because patch 1.09 sounds like it'll be probably the last patch that ArmA will receive, and even that doesn't sound like it'll solve half of the worst problems that game suffers from (the fixed-plane flight model being IMHO the one that puts me off the most, taking into account it was fully functional in OFP for its purpouse) ... And now it seems that the modding community is largely holding back, awaiting ArmA 2 to be what everybody expected ArmA to be, and with reason, taking into account all the time that passed between OFP: Resistance's release and ArmA's release...

With all due respect OFP was not well made, and in fact was released with a huge number of bugs and problems. (nothing personal I hope you understand)

I find it ironic how many people look upon OFP with rose tinted glasses.

There were so many issues still present in OFP that people were bleeting about prior to ArmA. I am not saying ArmA was released in a good state quite the contary however I do think those who love this genre / series will need to deal witht he simple fact that BIS are one of the LAST independant game houses, and thus money does not flow like water. I very much suspect BIS would be under now had it not released arma when it did.

I look at it like this, better to have the game and BIS (for the future) than have no BIS and an incomplete ArmA.

Edited by Rhodite

My wonder is why they didn't release just VBS2 to stay above water, making BIS also responsible for VBS2 and not only BIA, so that both could profit, and later, when they'd finally get everything right, get one great ArmA (I believe most people wouldn't have minded waiting instead of getting a half-finished product), instead of ArmA + ArmA2... Surely with the success of VBS, VBS2 would also be a success, but as it is, the ArmA community feels like it's a guinea pig to see if the tech works for VBS, instead of the other way around... I wonder which clients, VBS or OFP, are more important to BIS, since they can say all they want that VBS is from BIA and not BIS, if there were no BIS then there wouldn't be any VBS for sure...

Hard to say really BIA is a seperate Company, handling a completely different and very tough marketplace.

To side track slightly I personally think its not so much the game but who you play it with. I have had endless hours of imersive action with the groups I play with.