Sign in to follow this  
grayson

My WoV wish list

Guest Saganuay82

The only viewer I know of is at Gulfknights website. It works the best on simple objects but it will open a various amount of different models.

Guest Saganuay82

Find it? Did it work for you?

Find it? Did it work for you?

yeah thanks... not too much help though... i did ask over at the thirdwire forums and the most helpfull suggestion TK could come up with is find the size by hand and make a list. Not exactly something to inspire me.

OK this app is coming along nicely. I'm getting the UI sorted out and will soon be onto the guts of it... ie making target areas and the interface for that.

One slight delay could be if I have to try and find the sizes for things myself. Is there anyone who would be willing to maybe compile a list of object sizes (even if only roughly for now) to save me having to do this myself. To start with even if it was just the WOV objects it would be a help and would potentially speed up the production of this app. complex items like runways to start with would have to be simplified to a rectangle. Eventually I would like to be able to read in the LOD's to get exact coordinates which would dramatically improve the usability for making airfield areas.

Guest Saganuay82

Excellent. I have been asking for someone to build something like this for so long. This will increase the target complexity so much better and reduce time to build areas.

Nice sig MJ, I mean Crusader. LOL

I'm currently exploring the following approach: Use Inkscape to create a layout of the targets in an area and save it as SVG. Take the x and y coordinates of the SVG objects to determine the relative location in the target area. The target type is determined by a label in the SVG object.

Here's a sample SVG object, depicting a truck (well, in reality a blue rectangle, but who cares about graphics ;)

<rect
      style="opacity:1;fill:#13e719;fill-opacity:0.43000004;stroke-width:3;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none"
      id="rect2168"
      width="22.857143"
      height="17.142857"
      x="326.57144"
      y="121.79076"
      inkscape:label="Truck" />

This is then translated to

Target[002].Type=Truck
Target[002].Offset=326.57144,121.79076
Target[002].Heading=180

I wonder if it is possible to determine the graphics for the tile a certain point in WoV is located? This could then be loaded as background image in Inkscape.

Here are some first results, the target positioning is not perfect at all yet and for whatever reason some didn't show up in the game:

1. Create a SVG in Inkscape, using Object->Properties to assign the right TargetType. Result: target.svg

PNG rendering:

target.png

2. Convert SVG to INI with this python script. If the script is of general interest I'll convert it to Java and give it a rudimentary GUI. Result: target.ini

3. Add target.ini to the terrains target file, adding the necessary preamble. Image of the target area:

target-wings.png

Issues: one truck and the SAM radar went missing ...

Saganuay,

you seem to know about these things. can you confirm my assumption that heading is in degrees with 0 bieng north?.

Guest Saganuay82

0 north, yes I would agree on that.

Guest Saganuay82

Whats the good word Dark AU? I'm home on Friday, you have a ICQ? PM me if so.

Guest Saganuay82

Whats the latest Dark_au?

Guest Saganuay82

Bump?

Actually, I probably will address the TOW rocket...really don't like the launchers and rocket LOD as it sits right now...

FastCargo

TOW's are good, there's a whole bunch of them. I think Baghdad Bob has some in his basement somewhere. Just got to look for them.

Guest Saganuay82

Ping.....Dark ...you alive?

I'd love for every add-on plane to have its own cockpit accurately modeled after the actual one in real life. That would be totally awesome. Right now the MiG-21s have the best cockpits, as well as the Su-17. I know thats the hardest part to model, though.

Guest Saganuay82

What? This is a thread about a target placement program dude.

Hmmm, did this effort just die off...?

Looks like, still the info from Polak on using FS Scenery creator are valid.

It's not ay easy as throwing them on a picture and once satisfied click once and you've got a flawless target.ini entry.

But with a bit of time and fiddling one can make nice things with FSSC and Polaks tools.

You can easily crate a layout but have to invest a bit of time for importing it flawless into target.ini

See attachments WIP.

Stock objects SFP1/WoV/WoE, some from Polaks 3d objects lib and custom runway/taxi/parking objects from Gepard.

Don't be fooled there are roughly 300 more objects currently not shown to keep bugtracking simple.

PS: First one who identifies the base gets a cookie ;-)

Edited by Tannethal