Hi,

Is it possible to make a laser designator integral to an aircraft i.e. the same way some aircraft have built in ECM and countermeasures, or would I have to create a separate designator and carry it on a dedicated weapon station.

Craig

i think that there was a post about this several months ago....check the FYI/how to section

:)

Sure! I believe the Mig-27 has a build-in laser designator!.

Regards, Kodiak.

Hi,

Is it possible to make a laser designator integral to an aircraft i.e. the same way some aircraft have built in ECM and countermeasures, or would I have to create a separate designator and carry it on a dedicated weapon station.

Craig

Craig,

Sure, it's just an ini edit. You can make one on any aircraft. Just add this in the [Fuselage] or anywhere you want:

SystemName[xxx]=LaserDesignator

Then (as an example) put this in:

[LASERDESIGNATOR]

SystemType=LASER_DESIGNATOR

CameraFOV=2.500000

CameraPosition=0.000000,9.500000,-0.650000

CameraYaw=0.000000

CameraPitch=0.000000

CameraRoll=0.000000

PaveTackNarrow.tga

EODisplayFlags=268501249

SeekerRange=27.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=120.000000

SearchTexture=PaveTackNarrow.tga

SightTexture=avq23sight1.tga

That's it...pretty much works like a charm.

FastCargo

Or wpnssgt's pack, which has laser designator pods as well.

Hi Fastcargo,

You are right on the money with the solution thank you very much, which leads me on to asking if any of these classes of weapon can be built in by making similar enties, I have made an ini entry now for a data link. By the way what does a data link do in game?

Craig

Right now, the data link don't do nothing. Maybe someday we'll be able to link to AWACs like we used to in ATF/FA. (or Falcon)

You can add ECM, flaff and chare dispensers, as well as illuminator flares, too.

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey craig are you thinking of doing a Pirate?

No, I am modeling a Eurofighter, the Typhoon has all these goodies built in as opposed to mounted in pods on pylons, leaving plenty of pylons spare for carrying lots of high explosive toys :good::biggrin:

OOPS! :rolleyes: sorry, then yes I am making a pirate, and it is done, the model looks good on the aircraft and the ini entry that fastcargo gave works a treat, all we need now is for the game to simulate HMD and we are cooking on gas.

cooking on gas!!!!! ewww.. no no the ONLY way is on charcoal!!! yum lol

No, I am modeling a Eurofighter, the Typhoon has all these goodies built in as opposed to mounted in pods on pylons, leaving plenty of pylons spare for carrying lots of high explosive toys :good::biggrin:

eurofighter has no built in laser designator,

it uses the litening3 on the centerline pylon...

Really? I could have sworn it had one, if so what is the bump on the left hand side of the nose near the windscreen? looks similar to the designators found on su-27's etc, I admit not all typhoons have one, but I have definitely seen one with.

Jimmybib's link shows what I mean.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1245958/L/

Really? I could have sworn it had one, if so what is the bump on the left hand side of the nose near the windscreen? looks similar to the designators found on su-27's etc, I admit not all typhoons have one, but I have definitely seen one with.

Jimmybib's link shows what I mean.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1245958/L/

That is the PIRATE Sensor Craig see below:

PIRATE Infrared Search and Track

Eurofighters starting with Tranche 1 batch 5 will have the PIRATE (Passive Infra-Red Airborne Track Equipment) IRST (Infrared Search and Track System) which will be mounted on the port side of the fuselage, forward of the windscreen. The PIRATE system was developed by the EUROFIRST consortium. Galileo Avionica (FIAR) of Italy is the lead contractor, Thales Optronics of the UK (system technical authority) and Tecnobit of Spain make up EUROFIRST.

PIRATE operates in two IR bands, 3-5 and 8-11 microns. When used with the radar in an air-to-air role, it functions as an Infrared Search and Track system (IRST), providing passive target detection and tracking.

In an air-to-surface role, it performs target identification and acquisition. It also provides a navigation and landing aid. PIRATE is linked to the pilot’s helmet mounted display.[67]

The first Eurofighter Typhoon with PIRATE-IRST was delivered to the Italian Aeronautica Militare in August 2007

:blush: Oh god how embarrassing, I am a complete moron.

Yes you are quite right, I need to do more anoraking.

:blush: Oh god how embarrassing, I am a complete moron.

Yes you are quite right, I need to do more anoraking.

I wouldn't sweat it Craig I can't model anywhere near your level but am good at researchbut by no means an anorak. Th good thing about this community is that it brings together so many people with such diverse skills who then collaberatively produce some fantastic mods.

Lazboy

:biggrin: my use of the term anorak is actually meant endearingly, I am always impressed by the levels of knowledge displayed by 'enthusiasts', it seems odd maybe that I am a professional pilot but I can fall so short on knowledge about some of this stuff.

:biggrin: my use of the term anorak is actually meant endearingly, I am always impressed by the levels of knowledge displayed by 'enthusiasts', it seems odd maybe that I am a professional pilot but I can fall so short on knowledge about some of this stuff.

You Sir, are a professional anorak !

Whilst I'm a mere slip of a cagoule... :biggrin:

IRST? Try to ask Blackbird to model something like that. He IS the master of modelling stuff like that for aircrafts that originally does not have them.

I got this far before I got lost. I know where to put SystemName[xxx]=LaserDesignator, but where do I put all the rest.

By the way this is for an F16C BLK40

Thanks

Craig,

Sure, it's just an ini edit. You can make one on any aircraft. Just add this in the [Fuselage] or anywhere you want:

SystemName[xxx]=LaserDesignator

Then (as an example) put this in:

[LASERDESIGNATOR]
SystemType=LASER_DESIGNATOR
CameraFOV=2.500000
CameraPosition=0.000000,9.500000,-0.650000
CameraYaw=0.000000
CameraPitch=0.000000
CameraRoll=0.000000
PaveTackNarrow.tga
EODisplayFlags=268501249
SeekerRange=27.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=120.000000
SearchTexture=PaveTackNarrow.tga
SightTexture=avq23sight1.tga

That's it...pretty much works like a charm.

FastCargo