Sign in to follow this  

Now that I have your attention,

As part of getting familiar with 3ds Max, I've decided to start small and work on weapons and weapon racks. So far, I've got the AGM-86B/C under development...though I've hit a snag in that I can't get it to animate (unfold) after it drops from the aircraft. Check my other thread for details.

Also, as some of you know, I've been trying to fix weapon errors in the Weapons Pack to fix visual conflicts, etc.

My question is, what weapons and/or weapon racks would you like to see available? I don't mean ones that require simple ini adjustments...or need different colored stripes, etc. I'm talking about weapons that have missing or incorrect LODs, or are not mentioned at all.

Here are what I'm planning to work on as of right now:

Finish the AGM-86B/C variants

The AGM-129 ACM

The AGM-28/A Hound Dog

The GBU-39/40 SDB (redo to use external bitmaps, and to give the GBU-40 mobile attack capability)

The French ATLIS external designator pod

The BRU-61A rack ("4-pack" SDBs)

The external racks for the B-52 variants (ALCM, Harpoon, Big Belly mod)

Anyway, this is a start for me.

Anyone have requests or noticed glaring errors in the Weapons Pack? Again, I don't mean bitmap issues...I mean either no weapon at all or an incorrect/missing LOD file?

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

FastCargo

Well, now that you've mentioned it.... :biggrin:

We could use a Talos missile for an upcoming project, as well as an SA-10. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up a few accurate drawings.

We could use a Talos missile for an upcoming project, as well as an SA-10. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up a few accurate drawings.

Ooooo...Talos. You know, there's a model rocket version somewhere around...I wonder if I can dig up a plan which would have some nice 3 view drawings.

I thought someone was already working on a SA-10? I saw a post around somewhere....

Also, just to let everyone know, if someone is already working on a weapon system I mentioned, bring it up...I hate redundant efforts.

And, just to be clear, Wrench is still the 'Keeper of the Loadouts', so I'll be running a lot of my stuff by him for a final sanity check.

FastCargo

Some JP 233's for the Tornado would be a useful addon....if you've got the time.

Ooooo...Talos. You know, there's a model rocket version somewhere around...I wonder if I can dig up a plan which would have some nice 3 view drawings.

I thought someone was already working on a SA-10? I saw a post around somewhere....

Also, just to let everyone know, if someone is already working on a weapon system I mentioned, bring it up...I hate redundant efforts.

And, just to be clear, Wrench is still the 'Keeper of the Loadouts', so I'll be running a lot of my stuff by him for a final sanity check.

FastCargo

I was working on the Sa-10 system, though I am currently using a modified SCUD transporter as an analog, as the launcher and radar models still have not been built yet.

As part of getting familiar with 3ds Max, I've decided to start small and work on weapons and weapon racks. So far, I've got the AGM-86B/C under development...though I've hit a snag in that I can't get it to animate (unfold) after it drops from the aircraft. Check my other thread for details.

Also, as some of you know, I've been trying to fix weapon errors in the Weapons Pack to fix visual conflicts, etc.

My question is, what weapons and/or weapon racks would you like to see available? I don't mean ones that require simple ini adjustments...or need different colored stripes, etc. I'm talking about weapons that have missing or incorrect LODs, or are not mentioned at all.

The AGM-129 ACM

The AGM-28/A Hound Dog

The GBU-39/40 SDB (redo to use external bitmaps, and to give the GBU-40 mobile attack capability)

Anyone have requests or noticed glaring errors in the Weapons Pack? Again, I don't mean bitmap issues...I mean either no weapon at all or an incorrect/missing LOD file?

FastCargo

How about a daisy cutter? :good:

If you're interested in doing some WW2 stuff, Wolf's Me-109's need a 20mm gun pod for under the wings. Most late model 109's carried them. I've even seen 109F4's with them under the wings. The already existing German gun pods in the Weapons pack are for large weapons and don't look right, even if you mod the weapons to 20mm. And for an odd request, a pair of bumps for his 109F4, which could be added as a part of the weapons load, like the late model A-4E did, which would turn the Me109 F4 into a G5 or G6. Not a perfect fix, but it might do...

Your line of work sounds good mate, on the idea of the the animation not working properly, I wouldn't know if it would help, but the Penguin missile has a fin animation after deployment. Perhaps it could serve as a model for you to try and get it working correctly.

I will post a picture of a WWII cluster bomb that would be useful for the P-47 "crowd"... (All three of us)

I dont know if these are weapons persay but I think it would be great to be able to drop active troops into a battle via helicopter or parachuted in by a large transport aircraft. It would also be cool to be able to drop tanks from transport jets that would activate and start firing and moving around once they hit the ground. Is this at all possible?

There is a Talos outside the restricted side where i work on Indian Head in Maryland, if u want, i can take some pics and post them

The AGM-129 ACM

The AGM-28/A Hound Dog

FastCargo

I guess I don't have to continue working on the SDB now. (I had just started modelling, was mostly still planning.) Don't forget, it does flip over after it drops, it's carried with the wings down and flies with them up. I did get a few orthographic pictures and such of it, I can send them to you if you need them.

Edited by Talos

Some JP 233's for the Tornado would be a useful addon....if you've got the time.

ALARM anti radar missiles would be nice too.

Guest capun

I have a Talos model done a while back. I thought I had sent it to Bunyap for inclusion in the pack. I think it uses his Terrier texture

AGM-114 Hellfire variants with M229 and M279 rail system.

M279 Rail system with Stinger Tubes and AGM-1148 Air-to-Air Stinger.

Those would be nice.

There could also be a triple rocket pack like the one the phantoms used to carry

Couldn't you just modify the Triple Ejector Rack to make those?

I'm with Heck and Major Lee for some of the ww2 stuff...expecially them Nazi gun pods.

But that would require a new lod file (like Heck said, similiar to the Scooter Humps, the above wing bumps could be modeled, and the Fresco D/E with radar nose and pylons). But for proper placement, would you need the 3dmax file for the 109s???

I'm still waiting for Russo's E-7 Trop!

Wrench

kevin stein

Okay, lots of responses so far. Let me respond to some of the responses specifically:

"Some JP 233's for the Tornado would be a useful addon....if you've got the time."

I like that! Maybe treat it like a like a giant rocket pod...I guess I would have to make the submunitions too.

You know, that plus the AGM-86C would go nicely with a DS mod...

"...Me-109's need a 20mm gun pod for under the wings..."

"...a WWII cluster bomb that would be useful for the P-47 crowd..."

I would need some more info...I'm not smart on WWII variants...

"I dont know if these are weapons persay but I think it would be great to be able to drop active troops into a battle via helicopter or parachuted in by a large transport aircraft. It would also be cool to be able to drop tanks from transport jets that would activate and start firing and moving around once they hit the ground. Is this at all possible?"

I thought someone was working on paratroops, and that might just be outside the scope of my current abilities. And I'm pretty sure you can't drop tanks that transform into tanks that fire...but I could be wrong.

"How about a dual bomb rack (like the BRU57) that allows ROCKET PODS to be mounted."

I think that's already been done. I remember Sag posting a screen shot showing a CF-188 with exactly that.

"I guess I don't have to continue working on the SDB now. (I had just started modelling, was mostly still planning.) Don't forget, it does flip over after it drops, it's carried with the wings down and flies with them up. I did get a few orthographic pictures and such of it, I can send them to you if you need them."

Well, it's up to you on that. If you'd rather finish them, that's great! One less thing I would want to work on...I was still at the research stage. I just wanted to redo them because the orange color was driving me insane...plus they don't flip over when you drop them.

"ALARM anti radar missiles would be nice too."

I was wondering about that...can the engine support 'up and over' weapon flight profiles? I'll see into it...

"I have a Talos model done a while back. I thought I had sent it to Bunyap for inclusion in the pack. I think it uses his Terrier texture"

Cool! I'll see if the Weapons Pack already has it...if not, does anyone still keep in touch with Bunyap? Or has he gone "hands off" with the Weapons Pack? I don't want to step on any toes...

"AGM-114 Hellfire variants with M229 and M279 rail system.

M279 Rail system with Stinger Tubes and AGM-1148 Air-to-Air Stinger."

I'm unclear here...is it the missile (Hellfire,which I think we already have) or the rack that we need?

"There could also be a triple rocket pack like the one the phantoms used to carry"

"Couldn't you just modify the Triple Ejector Rack to make those?"

I'm unsure...do they look the same? If so, then a simple ini addition/edit would work.

Thanks for the inputs so far folks!

FastCargo

Also folks, just to let you know, I'm primarily doing this to gain experience in working with 3ds max, but instead of tutorial objects, using similar type objects that I can use to contribute directly to the community. So I'll be learning as I'm doin...

FastCargo

"AGM-114 Hellfire variants with M229 and M279 rail system.

M279 Rail system with Stinger Tubes and AGM-1148 Air-to-Air Stinger."

I'm unclear here...is it the missile (Hellfire,which I think we already have) or the rack that we need?

Yes, there is a AGM-114 Hellfire and a rack. Its in the weapons pack and it is incomplete (it doesn't have a texture and isn't a very good model as well as some ini help).

Edited by suhsjake

Hey FastCargo, I've noticed 2 Soviet missiles and a bomb missing while doing recent reasearch.

Kh-59 / AS-18 Kazoo EOGR

Kh-41 / AS-22 Moskit Anti-Ship Missile

KAB-1500Kr TV guided bomb

Thanks FastCargo. I'm just a beginner modeller so don't expect much in the near future, especially since I don't know how to animate yet. I'm working in Gmax, by the way. I did have an idea about the flipping, perhaps if the entire model was flipped in the animation. For example, if the SDB has 10 frame for the animation, 1-5 would be the bomb turning over, and 6-10, the wings extending.

One thing I will be doing is some INI tweaking. I'm working on an RF-111G Vampire bomber from the book Chain of Command (mostly for my use, but after I finish, I'll get in touch with the people who did it to see if I can release it here), as well as modding the Hellfire into the JCM. We need an EB-52. :biggrin:

Oh, and I've been working with Foxmonter, doing these for him. I did them as nations, available on any plane. The UN Spacy, Navy, Marines, and Air Force are all done, as well as the kite (all hand-drawn in MS Pub). Here's an example:

unmcdemoav8a1lx9.th.jpgunndemoa6a1yf2.th.jpg

Guest capun

FastCargo

Did you solved the animation problem? If you need help, send me an email to

capun1950 (at) yahoo (dot) com

I could take a look at the max file and see if there is a problem with it

As for the Talos, it looks like it was sent after the last Weapons Pack update so it never got into a newer version.

If people need it, I can post it at our site