Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Worst Modeling Experience

I'll have to say that my worst experience is having a model completely done and hanging from the ceiling only to have it fall and bust into a million pieces. I also once had a beautiful 1:48 B-17 that I was going to use for a diarama. It was going to be complete with ground crew loading it up for battle when I accidentally dropped it on the left wing and broke both left hand props. I wound up doing a post accident scene and proceeded to poke the fuselage with a hot needle for bullet holes and bent the blades back, collapse the LH gear etc..etc..etc.. It actually turned out real nice.

Fates

I had a beautifully detailed F-16A that I made myself when I was 10 (1990) and had been painted by my Dad who'd just bought himself an airbrush and was going nuts airbrushing all my old stuff. He'd painstakingly added the decals, hand painted the interior of the pit, it was immacculate. I took it to school on the proviso that I take extra special care of it (which I did). I had it sitting next to my pencil case on my desk and it never left my sight but other kids in my class kept wanting to put their grubby little mits on it so I got my best friend to keep it with his stuff (he sat next to me) while I went out to the toilet.

We were doing show and tell in class at the time and I was just walking back into the class just in time to see my buddy finish his presentation of big rig magazines, walk back to his desk and dump them (weighing about 2 kgs) absent mindedly on his desk and right on top of my Viper...

So I went and tackled him. And somehow I got in trouble!!

I didn't tell Dad because I was too scared to (not that he'd get angry or anything). But still, being a kid, I didn't want to front up about it. :no:

I built a 1/32nd scale Tomcat and hung it up. It looked awesome. The line I used was strong enough...though the nail I used to anchor it was a penny nail and it actually slid out of the ceiling and the Tomcat came crashing down....onto the 1/300th scale USS Enterprise.

Sad day in modeldom.

Luckily, they were both the Revell big scale kits and not their much more expensive Tamiya brethren

When I was about 13 I built an Airfix F-4B and decided to weight the nose by filling it with glue...

by the morning the front end had melted off.

I had a model I got one year for Xmas at my grandparent's house and I was impatient to start building it. My model glue was as home, so I decided to use what they had instead--Crazy Glue!

My first and last attempt to use it for modeling. :close_tema:

I built a VERY nice 1/100 scale Saturn V flying model rocket...best work I had ever done.

My cat knocked it over...smashing the escape tower and a couple of fins...

Arrrrgghhhh!!!

FastCargo

Not sure about a worst modelling moment, but the best was when my son and I put together a basic model of the battlecruiser Scharnhorst. He would carefully take things off the sprue and I would glue things together. We finished things off with a little ensign, care of the printer. Sits on top of the piano as I type. It won't win any prizes for accuracy, but makes me smile nevertheless.

I had a great 1-18 scale f-104 in vietnam colors with nose art detailed cockpit and everything hanging from my ceiling :ok: . I was cautiouse to use fishing wire to be strong enough to hold it but I did not drill the wire into the beams just into the sheetrock. Well one night it fell and hit me nose first in the stomach in the middle of the night. For those who dont know 1-18 is a large scale and she was a almost 3 feet long. Not to mention she was HEAVY :blink: . She was also sharp as hell with a pointy metal antena. Im going to let your imagination do the rest. Needless to say I think i was more broken than it was. :dntknw:

Having finished a 1:96 scale model of the Cutty Sark, taking it to it's future place on the shelved I tripped and landed on the model... binned the lot, all masts were snapped and bend out of shape.... I have never attempted a tall ship since.

Staffan

I spent alot of time painting a body on a Nascar, 2 coats primer, then 3 coats of color(all hand rubbed)and 3 coats of clear(again all rubbed), I appied the decals,which took almost a day to get them right. I cleared them and the clear paint"ate"the decals. It was ulgy, I soaked the body in brake fluid for 24 hours and then started over,new colors as I didn't have any replacement decals. I learned IF I'm not sure I don't clear over decals, I future them.

I was spending a winter working for the highway dept plowing snow. I hadnt built a model in years and decided it might be fun in my off hours. So I bought this big, beautiful model of the Coast Guard training ship Eagle. It was 90% done, hull, decks, rigging, requiring only the addition of the sails. I went to work and came home 8 hours later to find my cat had turn it into one giant plastic hairball. Cat needed a new home the next day...

When we (My wife and i) lived in Ohio and with father in law,My wife decided to surprise me with a Revell F-4G Wild Weasel V 1/48 scale because,I'm a huge fan of it.It took me 2 months for to put it together in fine detail.Everything was exact or to the best of my knowledge.Even used thread for the landing gear hoses and smudges for the small leaks.Needless to say we both were very proud of this masterpiece.My father in law wanted to get it encased in glass to protect.He took it over to a friends house to have it done and the friends bird,a Cockatoo,went crazy and destroyed it!

After I was told,two days later,I suddenly had a craven for Cockatoo on a stick!Never done another,,,

My worst modeling experience was for Ford Models in Miami Beach. It was supposed to be a straightforward runway fashion show, but OH NO, they misrepresented it to me! Instead...oh...this thread is about scale models.

Nevermind.

Best work, a 1:48 revel F-105D, I painted most of it by hand, and with a can of flat olive drab car spray paint. I guess I had magic in my hand that day, because the paint came out even, coated the entire model, and I was able to successfully spray paint the bottom half with light grey. The rest I finished off with tan testors paint. The only problem, the right wing did not properly glue together.

Worst...

A Revel F-15 from Kadena AFB in 1980s ghost grey... The paint spilled on the model, I attempted to recoat it, no avail. Could not get the camo patches to come out right, was painting outside but the fumes got to me (and really do not remember the rest of that after that.)

Was doing a 1/32 B-52 from Fairchild AFB, the wings would not hold, the engine mounts were all fouled up, and the paint I used was way to glossy (and therefore smudged.)

The worst modeling experience you could have is if you are married, your wife is CLEANING the house and does not understand anything about models, besides she say somthing like: Oh, you know, i didn't think they were so delicate, but clening goes first............

now you get the pointicon2.gif

well...

i have started with modeling about 3 years ago... my f-16 1:72 , everything was going fine and once, i used wrong color to paint it, and than i had to remove it with brakes oil, and that happened twice.

now it is in basement, filled with dirt.

also RF-4E Phantom Tigermeet and MiG 21 F-13 Fishbed C are in the box waiting until i get my confidence back.

My worst modeling experience was for Ford Models in Miami Beach. It was supposed to be a straightforward runway fashion show, but OH NO, they misrepresented it to me! Instead...oh...this thread is about scale models.

Nevermind.

I'm a model you know what I mean

And I do my little turn on the catwalk

Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah

I shake my little tush on the catwalk

Geez....lemme think.....has to be back to the late 60's early 70s??...we have another problem here in California that most you probably don't... :yes:

My Revell 1/32 P-40E, done up in Flying Tigers colors was sitting on top of my moms hutch --very top shelf, mind you! I'd done it as perfectly as possible...filled and sanded all the seems smooth, got all the decals perfects set with the settng solvents, nicely weathered (exhaust stains, guns stains, etc).

Sometime (iirc, 197something...) we had one of our bigger quakes. Yup, nose dive right off the top. Shattered the spinner, broke off the prop blades, popped off the cowling engine covers (you all remember those cool features of the 1/32 series), sheard off the gear struts, etc, etc, etc.

Total loss!! And it'd only gotten me a 2nd place at the locatl IPMS club meeting. I'd lost out to my friends 1/35 tamiya panzer or something like that

Quakes is bad for un-restrained model displays!

Wrench

kevin stein

The worst modeling experience you could have is if you are married, your wife is CLEANING the house and does not understand anything about models, besides she say somthing like: Oh, you know, i didn't think they were so delicate, but clening goes first............

now you get the pointicon2.gif

not modelling but I did have something similar.

having been present in EUCOM (6th Fleet) when The Wall came down, I got a piece of it. I was going to encase it in some plastic like stuff and make a small souvenir of the Cold War.

my wife was cleaning my desk and threw some "dirty old rock" out...................

:shok:

not modelling but I did have something similar.

having been present in EUCOM (6th Fleet) when The Wall came down, I got a piece of it. I was going to encase it in some plastic like stuff and make a small souvenir of the Cold War.

my wife was cleaning my desk and threw some "dirty old rock" out...................

:shok:

I don't condone violence..but then again did you at least karate chop the coffee table? Or go outside and play skeet shoot with the good china?

I don't condone violence..but then again did you at least karate chop the coffee table? Or go outside and play skeet shoot with the good china?

coffee tables make good firewood.........

:biggrin:

Can't remember them all,Ive been modeling for darn near 42 years.Started in 1968,don't get discouraged and quiet.This is my last effortpost-24696-1223518480_thumb.jpg

I was about 16 and my uncle had given me a RC Cessna kit, All Balsa wood. I spent two weeks on the wing, cutting the spars out and glueing each one in just the right place. I had just started the Fuselage and didn't have room on the table so i set the wing on the couch next to the table. My Sister came in and plopped down and there was a quiet crunch followed by a loud string of profanity and my sister running for her life! At least i can laugh about it now... :rofl:

My worst was doing the U.S.S Enterprise(from star trek 5)...I tried every thing i could think of to get those &&%#% warp necelles to glue right.....but nothing i tried worked......

I've got the lit-up version of that model. Still looks pretty good despite being about 17 yrs old now. Bad part was one of the lights stopped working when I glued the saucer together, must have bent the connector too far.

The engines for those ST models are always a pain, whether the Enterprise, a Klingon ship, or one of the other Federation ones (I have Reliant, Excelsior, and Enterprise E as well).