Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Worst Modeling Experience

ehh....the only one i really had a problem with was Enterprise....i used to have The A,B,C,D,E Reliant, Defiant, Excelsior, bird of prey, D7 and the K'Tinga class

I built a D for the girlfriend in HS, not seen it in 15 yrs now. Also built her a Vor'cha. I have the C in the closet, been there for years along with Voyager. The Defiant is "built" (only missing one piece) but unpainted and decaled. Basically when I moved into my house I just never seemed to have the time for them anymore.

Let's see...there was the time I had just finished rigging a 1/72 DH.2...look at a pic of a Dh.2 closely sometime...there's a few miles worth a rigging on that thing! Anyway, I picked it up to move it and I dropped it...on a hard-wood floor.

I screamed so loud my wife thought I cut a finger off.

Every. Single. Line. Broke. (I used stretched sprue).

So I re-rigged the entire thing.

And dropped it again.

And then set it aside and didn't touch it for a year.

I then finished it, locked inside a hermetically sealed vault and placed it in an earth-quake proof building.

My worst modelling experience would be, actually I've had two.

The first and worst one being I made a Antonov AN-124 in 1/144 scale hung it from the ceiling, with selotape, CRASH!!!

My second would be this morning I made a 1/32 scale Bell 24 JetRanger and got glue all over the windows, so I painted them to make them look like they were balcked out. The overall efect wasn't bad actually.

Hahaha. Damn man that is way too unfortunate! I would have to say my worst modeling experience would be a model of the USS North Carolina I had completely built and finished when one of my friends was mucking around in my room and dropped my M324 Airsoft Rifle on it! Now it looks like a sunken ship only somewhere in my closet

The worst modeling experience you could have is if you are married, your wife is CLEANING the house and does not understand anything about models, besides she say somthing like: Oh, you know, i didn't think they were so delicate, but clening goes first............

now you get the pointicon2.gif

You don't need to be married. Young brothers can make the same effect. Of course, instead of "Oh, you know, i didn't think they were so delicate, but clening goes first..." you will get something like "oh I didn't see it" (Like they didn't know the kit had been sitting in the same place for several months). And, of course it had to happen to the best kit I had ever done (A hasegawa 1/72 F-4E)

Edited by shotdown

My worst experience was about 17 years ago. Built a 1/72nd Airfix A-10, airbrushed the Euro scheme and just letting everything cure before decaling. I came home from work went up to my desk, picked up the model and found that my son had "helped" me paint the thing.....

with a brush loaded with lacquer thinner for the airbrush. Melted everything down to the plastic. Salvaged the ordnance, racks, gear and cockpit.

Worst close call, my ex and mother came within a few minutes of tossing out my parts boxes, not box, boxes. I have parts and spares going back to the 4th grade. And I can tell you what kit a part came from and when I got the kit. Don't parents and spouses know that the part boxes are more valuable than the kits?

Edited by firehawkordy

I was eight or nine, I remember an OV-10 Bronco and an He-162, both of which I put together in one day, the paint on both of them looked like technicolor vomit!

Back in 1989 or something we had a very heavy storm that smashed the windows of my apartment. Most of my models (almost 100 of them) must have flown, because when I got home they were all over the place. And while entering my living room I stepped on a couple of them. I repaired the windows with wood panels but when my girlfriend arrived home the storm smashed the front door windows and everything was blown through the room again... It took me a day and a half to retrieve all the broken off parts from the shambles, including very small stuff.

Some major restauration took place after that (A10, splinter camo JA37 and a couple of others) and actually only a few of the models were total loss and an amazing number could be repaired..... (lesson: NEVER throw away anything of the small stuff or parts that you don't use )

No nightmares though...

Hou doe,

Derk :smile:

Back in 1989 or something we had a very heavy storm that smashed the windows of my apartment. Most of my models (almost 100 of them) must have flown, because when I got home they were all over the place. And while entering my living room I stepped on a couple of them. I repaired the windows with wood panels but when my girlfriend arrived home the storm smashed the front door windows and everything was blown through the room again... It took me a day and a half to retrieve all the broken off parts from the shambles, including very small stuff.

Some major restauration took place after that (A10, splinter camo JA37 and a couple of others) and actually only a few of the models were total loss and an amazing number could be repaired..... (lesson: NEVER throw away anything of the small stuff or parts that you don't use )

No nightmares though...

Hou doe,

Derk :smile:

If it's ever is going to happen again. Here is a good trick to retrieve small parts lost on the floor. A vacuum cleaner with an old Nylon stocking on the mouth of the hose. Acts as great filter.

You don't need to be married. Young brothers can make the same effect. Of course, instead of "Oh, you know, i didn't think they were so delicate, but clening goes first..." you will get something like "oh I didn't see it" (Like they didn't know the kit had been sitting in the same place for several months). And, of course it had to happen to the best kit I had ever done (A hasegawa 1/72 F-4E)

Let alone mothers. My mom destroys my models, the same way my grandma destroys those of my dad. Once,

she even attacked me with a 1/72 Italian Tornado ADV

If it's ever is going to happen again. Here is a good trick to retrieve small parts lost on the floor. A vacuum cleaner with an old Nylon stocking on the mouth of the hose. Acts as great filter.

Vacuum cleaners are also a powerful weapons in mother´s inventory. Beware of the moms, fellows

Very good idea Henrik. Another house with double glazing also helps...... :wink:

Hou doe,

Derk :grin:

A basketball crashed onto 1/48 Italeri UH-1D under repair, courtesy of my cousin who ignored his brother's warning...

A dictionary inadvertently dropped on a 1/35 Academy OH-58D by my sister...

My mom accidentally sitting on a 1/48 Academy F-14A...

A 1/48 Italeri F-14A falling from overhead rack in my room...

A 1/72 Academy F-15E hit by a tennis ball...

About ten or more of Hasegawa kits that was destroyed as a result of experimenting and playing with it (when I was in 1st grade)

and many more... Just seem can't get out the bad luck surrounding my model kits at home :crazy:

was in iraq in 05 having just finished a 1/72 revell F-15A about 1977 vintage. used hasegawa weps some other spares to update it, trial and error to get air supioerity blue (to far to walk to nearest hobby store) and with a little creative cutting and reattaching had it at moment of touch down on runway speed brake out and all. so i take some foam packing that one of the workshops dont need any more and prep it to ship home. its secure in its box nothing the postal service can do to it should harm my baby right? i set it on the floor on my roommates side since he is on R and R leave and am gonna take it to the post office in the morning. well who shows up but my roommate. he drops his gear sees the box and not knowing what it is does his best Brett Micheals piledriver right into the box! MCAir prob never thought of that when designing. So i spend about nother 6 hours repairing. landing gear completely totaled so had to redo inflight. It's still "flying to this day in my living room but still not what i originally had in mind.

1/72 scale P-36, prewar silver in color. Beautifully painted and complete except for a pitot tube. I glue it into the hole in the wing, the silver paint is now stuck to my finger and the whole lot smashes to the hardwood floor and exploded.

Tied for number 1, a TA-152 painted with authentic RLM colors, gloss coated and decaled and left overnight to dry. The next day, EVERY SINGLE DECAL was silvered. Not just a little bit, but like the old AMT decals. I tried taking some of the little ones off, but finally just hand painted around the big ones. I gave it away...

When I was a kid, I had the big Saturn V rocket from Revell. I got in a big hurry and painted the black stripes by hand without help from dad...He was not pleased...

Model -- about 60 nearby stars to maybe 40 light years distance.

Many moons back, I started with foam board from which I hung little bright painted blocks of wood of different sizes and colours with black thread. Sun centered. Length of thread calculated from astronomical star data. Size and paint representing absolute magnitude and spectral colour.

Took a week to do. Finished and hung from ceiling for first test.

Turned off lights at night and used flashlight. Perfect 3D effect, looking from different directions. Bottom of foam board painted flat black and so minimally visible. Black thread totally invisible. Near perfect.

Went to take it down and dropped it. Threads hopelessly tangled up. Tossed it and later did maybe 8000 stars using FORTRAN on computer.

A few years back I finally got the bug to start my Trumpeter 1/32nd F-105D, it was to be my crowning achievement in my various scale's builds to the F-105D (my favorite century series AC). It had taken me a couple years to buy all the aftermarket goodies I wanted in this kit. Black Boxes resin cockpit, Cutting Edges resin tail/afterburner can & speed brake, TAC scale metal landing gear, Verlindens resin & PE set, CAM resin M-117 and Mk82 w/ fuse extenders and Albatros Decals (Cherry Girl was going to be markings on this Thud). All and all I think I had a little over $250.00 USD wrapped up here. The construction and detailing was finished after three long months and I had just applied the Testors enamel gloss coat for the decals. After it dried and the decals were applied I discovered there wasn't enough enamel Testors gloss coat left to seal the decals before I applied the Testors enamel dull coat to finish the model. It was Sunday and I was getting impatient to finish the model since I had a club meeting on tuesday and I wanted to show off this baby in all her glory. So digging around in my supplies I came across a bottle of AeroMaster enamel semi-gloss coat. I figured what the heck it's made for enamel paints so I loaded it up in my airbrush and sprayed away, then put the kit up to let it dry overnight. Monday after I got home from work and went to get the F-105 out to apply the finishing touches, to my absolute horror the model had a milky white film coating all over it, the kit was a total write off. In my zeal to finish the kit I had stupidly committed a cardinal sin in model painting and finishing when using different manufacturers products by not pretesting on scrap plastic first. I did not touch another model for over a year.

Woa Woot.gif

...$250.00 USD wrapped up here.

Your story reminds me of what happens in aviation engineering world. Bad fluff ups get done in the rush.

The sad part is that I have building models for well over 30+ years, just goes to show that even an experianced modeler can make some very rookie mistakesgrin.gif. One good thing out of all this is it finally made me get off my butt and pitch a lot of obsolete paints and finishing products I was hanging on to. I only work with two paint lines now and both of their finishing products are compatible with each other, but I still test before applying to a built kit. Paint manufacturers today are prone to change their formulas with very little heads up.