Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Day of days......

I think I saved a life today. I got a call from a counselor from FT Sill stating that one of her former patients with severe PTSD who lives in Oklahoma City called the VA suicide hotline and stated that she was going to kill herself. The counselor called the Oklahoma PD and Sherriff Dept and they were busy with a kidnapping and couldn’t assist. So they gave the counselor the phone number to my Command Post. She told me the story and asked what I could do. I told her to be honest I am not sure what I could do but I got all the info and started making phone calls. Seeing how this was a fellow military member I could not let this go. The counselor stated she did get into contact with her former patient and arranged a meeting place to try to get her to calm down. I called my base police (Security Forces) and asked for options. They didn’t have any they could think of due to the fact it was off base. However they did get me in contact with a person from investigations who like me didn’t want to this have a bad ending. (More on that in a second) So I called a friend of mine and ask her to go to the meeting place. She went without hesitation and waited for almost 2 hours. The person we were looking for never showed. The investigations person called and said that he was inbound to the location and would take her into custody and get local authorities involved if she showed. Another 2 hours passed, still a no show. Nothing……this whole time I was on pin and needles hoping for the best but thinking the worst. Finally I got a call from the guy from investigations…they found her; she had slit her wrists, badly, but was alive. They got her to a VA hospital where she is being treated. Ok why am I telling you all this? Some of you know that back in 2003 my mom killed herself. I still think to this day I could have prevented it. So I wasn’t about to let this one go. I am not looking for a pat on the back or anything like that, I just needed to vent…because today sucked.

Alot of people would have just let it go.Most people stop caring once a problem is not in direct sight but for you to go that extra distance to make sure somone will see the next day is what we(the civies)know makes the united States armed forces great.Sounds like you need a cold one and some alone time.I'm sorry to hear about your mother I had no idea but I'll say a late prayer for her and you tonight.

Being a ex-combat vet myself and comming from a military family where my brother a ex-airman took his life, I thank you for seeing that situation to the conclusion, it ALWAYS pains me to know that our wonderful men and women are struggling to deal with the horrors of conflict in ways that the average civilian could NEVER fathom. I really pray that the woman you helped can get all the care she needs to make it thru any given day because some days are a real struggle to get thru. To ALL my fellow vets Keep your head up and be proud, If you need help ASK!!

Viper6 out!

You are your team should be proud. Good job! :)

Dave, good job, I had a buddy that commit suicide in March and showed no signs. I was his roommate in iraq for 7 months and we became good friends and then killed himself after he reenlisted so i know how things go with that just not on the same level as you. I am sorry to hear about ur mom i didnt know about that and i as well will pray for you and her and want to say thank you for helping with that person

Good on you Dave!

As someone who's almost been there (actually had the gun in hand), you did the right thing to step up and help out. Like my friend did for me. I owe Susie a great deal, that I can never payback.

I'd have missed out on the last 25+ years, and even with the really bad spots (like being unemployed now), there's some really good things I'd have never experienced. I can't even list them all...

God bless everyone who makes the choice to reach out and say the 3 most important words in the universe:

"Let me help"

Wrench

kevin stein

I know you're not looking for cudos, but good catch! On the bright side, it's very possible she's hit bottom (or near enough to it) and with that comes the realisation that the only place left to go from here is up...

As a young "kid" I volunteered to join the Dutch Army during the Balkan crisis in the former Yugoslavia.

Being in a country too small to have good experience dealing with its soldiers, I returned home after 6 months

all left to my own fate. Here, when damaged psychologically, you are abandoned by the society.

Therefore I can only say that you have done a noteworthy and honorable thing. My cudo's to you my friend!

Wish there were more like you.

wow, sorry to hear of everyone's losses.

Reminds me of when I was in a similar position, but a much different incident that turned out alright.

I've mentioned a few times doing Model UN. Last spring, my school set up a conference for a group of private schools with elementary/middle school kids. We were doing it in the Grand Hyatt about grand central station. A session had just finished and we were letting the kids out. They had to be signed out by a teacher or parent. I was watching the elevators to make sure none of the kids wound up getting separated and wandering off. I notice this little girl run from and try to hide from some guy. He went up and grabbed her hand and started dragging her with him. I stopped him and asked what was going on and he immediately started arguing and threatening me. He claimed to be the girls father, but refused to produce any identification badge parents and teachers had. At the opening ceremony they asked how many people had been to NY before, all of maybe 5 hands went up of the parents. this guy looked and sounded like he was from the area. I quickly glanced around for one of the people in charge and he bolted for an open elevator. I similarly bolted for security and had the cover the exits. They were slow and he got out. We called the cops and filed a police report, and had them on camera leaving the building.

Thankfully, he did turn out to be the girls father, he was just an ***hole after we did a headcount and had everyone later that night.

Dave, were you unable to get ahold of her 1st Sgt? I realize in a time critical situation it may not be possible without having the number on hand, but am I correct in thinking that in most cases that would be the person to contact? Or when you said "fellow military" did you mean former military as well?

Dave, were you unable to get ahold of her 1st Sgt? I realize in a time critical situation it may not be possible without having the number on hand, but am I correct in thinking that in most cases that would be the person to contact? Or when you said "fellow military" did you mean former military as well?

The counselor didn't know what unit she was in or anything. I had nothing to go on at all. Yes calling her 1st Sgt would of been good however not having a unit or the time frame I was limited to I had to go on gut instinct.

We in Israel have a say.

He who saved one soul, saved an entire world.

Sorry to hear about you mom, my prayers.

Yeah, sometimes you have next to nothing when it comes to information. Good job getting as far as you did with what you had.

Well she is doing fine at the VA hospital and getting the much needed help she needs.

Dave, I now have more respect for you. Good job. Sorry about your mother. I'll say a prayer for you and your mom.

Falcon