Sign in to follow this  
Redddevil911

Can the A-7's get some love!

Four pages for the F-8, I like the F-8's as well but can we give it up the the little brother! Anyone? :biggrin:

A-7 is getting super High-Def 1080p treatment from the Mirage Factory. The E is now 95% complete and I have started skinning the D.

Hey, The A-7 to me is a great ac! I use her a lot of the time I wish there was a campaing featuring her! I do a lot of single strike missions with the 'Super' variant. I wish she could carry a little more weight. But I really enjoy putting her thru her paces! :good:

Hey, The A-7 to me is a great ac! I use her a lot of the time I wish there was a campaing featuring her! I do a lot of single strike missions with the 'Super' variant. I wish she could carry a little more weight. But I really enjoy putting her thru her paces! :good:

The Operation Thunderhead 1986 Campaign I am doing for the Libya map has 4 flyable A-7E units!

PoAF A-7P and TA-7P Corsairs :biggrin:

a7p.jpg

105139vy.jpg

1172481.jpg

1172479.jpg

TA-7P.jpg

2a.jpg

1a.jpg

(This one is the "White Dove"....still in USN painting and markings overall)

How could i possibly miss this topic?!? I just luv the SLUFF!!!

Workhorse of the PoAF for almost 20yr....

SLUFF RULES!!! :clapping:

The SLUF was an excellent mud-moving mutha!

Too bad it was tainted by that dual USAF & USN deal. :wink:

Here's some love:

A-7Sitcker.gif

From the Air Victory Museum, Lumberton, NJ

P8050033.jpg

P8050024.jpg

P8050031.jpg

P8050032.jpg

Didn't the A-7 actually have a better power:weight ratio than the F-8? I never understood why people called the A-7 ugly. I allways thought it was elegant in it's simplicity, and I liked the solid, clean lines. If I was gonna fly an attack airplane off a carrier, I think the A-7 would be one of my first choices.

Didn't the A-7 actually have a better power:weight ratio than the F-8? I never understood why people called the A-7 ugly. I allways thought it was elegant in it's simplicity, and I liked the solid, clean lines. If I was gonna fly an attack airplane off a carrier, I think the A-7 would be one of my first choices.

I think all planes are georgeouse. no exeptions.....well maybe cesnas :dntknw:

I think all planes are georgeouse. no exeptions.....well maybe cesnas :dntknw:

whoa-ho! I think we should start an "ugliet airplane" thread to prove that there are planes WAY uglier than cessnas.

I confess that I stopped playing with it for some time...

BTW,why there is the A-7?

The F-8 is poor for strike or ground attack missions?

Falling in double (seat) love with the Corsair! :grin:

Greets

Florian

A TA-7C I presume.

When finished, it should be an TA-7E. :biggrin:

Guest Saganuay82

I remember being in the 7th grade and being out in front of the school and a flight of 4 doing a break overhead. I thought that was a cool plane. They must have been USAF birds cause we don't have any. We had low level training airspace in nrothern New Brunswick at the time.

I also remember a Time Life book I think, it was a big picture book on the Vietnam war and they showed a A-7 and the pop up manouver to hit its target.

Stuff you remember from when you were a kid.

If it looks like a brick, flies like a brick and is about to drop several tons of ordinance on you, it's probably a Corsair

Corsair's are a bit like my Dad, short and fat, not as fast as they'd like to be but totally dependable and capable of flattening most targets!... :angel:

Anyone remember a twin-engine proposal for the A-7? I remember seeing an artist's rendition in Airman magazine (I think), in the 80s...can't seem to find anything via google...

A twin-engined A-7? I don't remember that, but I do remember the A-7F w/afterburner.

I can't imagine how a twinned A-7 would work. The rear fuselage would be a mess!

Oh, and Nicky, did your dad ever have the nickname SLUF? :grin:

Actually, I remember that picture!!!

Yep, just looked it up. In Janes All The World Aircraft, 78-79, page 449.

From the text:

VOUGHT V-529D

"Vought has proposed a twin-engined development of the A-7E to the US Navy. The single TF41 engine of the current A-7E would be replaced by two GE F404 turbojets, each producing approx 16000lb st. Structural changes to accommodate this new power plant would include an increase of (1 ft, 8 in) in fuselage length to provide static balance, a local fuselage width increase of (2 ft 5 in), and a new aft fuselage structure with bifurcated duct."

I'll see if I can scan in the picture later.

Also, found out about an alternative to this proposal...using a single F101 engine!!!!! That jet would have been HOT!

FastCargo

SLUF would have become QLUF.

Edited by suhsjake

A faster A-7 would just be a bomber F-8! actually, that's not bad. A bomber with a bite! MiGs beware!