Sign in to follow this  
Falcon161

Exclusives

Alright this is something I hate, Game companies making games specifically for 1 console EX: DOA 3,4,XBV,XBV2 on microsoft consoles! As a Sony Fanboy (Guilty as charged) I was pissed when a game I want is on a console I dont have! And buying that console is out of the question! (dont really like Microsoft) But do you think that maybe one day games will come out on all consoles instead of just a specific one?

I don't think it will ever happen, the console manufacturers want their exclusive titles to help sell their system. Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and Microsoft have done it for years.

NO...it may never happen.

Take Blue-Ray vs HD-DVD. To seperate formats and they will continue to be that way as long as the media manufacture has a hold over, or contracts with certain film production companies.

It will take a third party to invent a media format that clearly outdoes all the rest, and then it will more then likely be bought by Sony and the process will start all over again.

Each console has their place in the market. For XBox it is the XBox Live and online gaming. For the Playstation it will eventually be the sheer number of games available, and for the Wii I believe it is the interactive play with interactive controllers.

NO...it may never happen.

Take Blue-Ray vs HD-DVD. To seperate formats and they will continue to be that way as long as the media manufacture has a hold over, or contracts with certain film production companies.

It will take a third party to invent a media format that clearly outdoes all the rest, and then it will more then likely be bought by Sony and the process will start all over again.

I've heard different reports on how the format war is going in the US, how do you see it from a consumers POV? In the UK its of less interest it seems because the percentage of HDTV owners is still small but steadily growing. To me the PS3 seems to be more like a trojan horse for them to get Blu Ray into peoples homes because they stand to make huge sums of money from licensing the tech should Blu Ray win because surely they would not make the same mistake they did with the BETA Max format. IMHO winning the next gen console war is secondary to establishing Blu Ray.

Each console has their place in the market. For XBox it is the XBox Live and online gaming. For the Playstation it will eventually be the sheer number of games available, and for the Wii I believe it is the interactive play with interactive controllers.

The Xbox Live service is the jewel in the crown for the Xbox 360 IMHO. The big disappointment for me with the Xbox 360 has been the failure rate and the damage that has done to the brand as this has stopped some friends buying a 360 despite liking everything else they have seen when using mine. That said MS are rolling out new chipsets that are starting to hit the shelves now so I've heard (the 360 elite did not have this new chipset apparently). I'm not so sure about the PS3 being blessed with as huge a array of games as the PS1 or PS2 because while the PS3 has plenty of power its raw power that the developers are apparently struggling to develop for. They also need to improve their online service to compete. My son has a Wii and to me its just an overclocked Gamecube but it does have a nice array of social games and the fun to use motion controllers. Why MS and Sony don't come out with their own I don't know, it would perhaps take some of the wind out of the sales of the Wii which is selling extremely well.

Dude.....what are you on?

Sony is one of the biggest players in the "Exclusive" game.

The original Tomb Raider was on both PSX and Sega Saturn. Sony went to Core and bought the exclusive rights and that is why Lara Croft never appeared on the Saturn again. How many GTA games appeared on the Playstation2 as exclusive title? Everyone else had to wait a year to play the latest GTA. How about MGS....when was that last time a X-Box player was able to Metal Gear on their console?

You've had it good far too long, Sony Man....it's time for the rest of the gamers to have their fun.

And for the record....the Wii kicks much ass. I have a Wii at home and wouldn't even think about getting one of the other guys machines.....it may be nothing more than a overclocked gamecube, but Nintendo proved something with it.....games don't have to look good to be amazing games. I would much rather play something interactive like Metroid Prime 3 than something like Halo 3 where I just sit on the couch and mash buttons.

I've heard different reports on how the format war is going in the US, how do you see it from a consumers POV? In the UK its of less interest it seems because the percentage of HDTV owners is still small but steadily growing. To me the PS3 seems to be more like a trojan horse for them to get Blu Ray into peoples homes because they stand to make huge sums of money from licensing the tech should Blu Ray win because surely they would not make the same mistake they did with the BETA Max format. IMHO winning the next gen console war is secondary to establishing Blu Ray.

The war is not a war IMHO, although I would like to see a single format. Besides, you can buy a player that play both... I would never buy a CONSOLE Gaming machine to be the center peice of my HDTV Movie experience. I have a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV with a progressive Toshibla DVD players and the quality of image is superb. I don't think DVD is going to go away for a long time, and I honestly believe that there will be another better format in the future that will either further divide the format war or HOPEFULLY bring it back together to a single format. Honestly, I think that format is going to be DOWNLOAD. You will eventually just download HD Movies to a digital drive. Netflix.com allows you to do that right now with normal DVD movies, and as download speeds improve it seems to me the next step in the evolution and that is to make the media smaller and cut out the packaging cost.

Yeah, but have you seen the quality of movies netflix has available to view online?

To call them "stinkers" would be giving them credit....

You've had it good far too long, Sony Man....it's time for the rest of the gamers to have their fun.

And for the record....the Wii kicks much ass. I have a Wii at home and wouldn't even think about getting one of the other guys machines.....it may be nothing more than a overclocked gamecube, but Nintendo proved something with it.....games don't have to look good to be amazing games. I would much rather play something interactive like Metroid Prime 3 than something like Halo 3 where I just sit on the couch and mash buttons.

The novelty wears off with the Wii and then you're left with a few tired old games where as the next gen consoles continue to develop, perhaps you'll try one once you've finished pracing around your room like the sugar plum fairy waving your magic wand ;)

The war is not a war IMHO, although I would like to see a single format. Besides, you can buy a player that play both... I would never buy a CONSOLE Gaming machine to be the center peice of my HDTV Movie experience. I have a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV with a progressive Toshibla DVD players and the quality of image is superb. I don't think DVD is going to go away for a long time, and I honestly believe that there will be another better format in the future that will either further divide the format war or HOPEFULLY bring it back together to a single format. Honestly, I think that format is going to be DOWNLOAD. You will eventually just download HD Movies to a digital drive. Netflix.com allows you to do that right now with normal DVD movies, and as download speeds improve it seems to me the next step in the evolution and that is to make the media smaller and cut out the packaging cost.

Those dual format players are expensive though. I've never used my Xbox as my primary DVD player (OK well once when my standalone DVD player died lol) but if Blu Ray did establish itself as 'the' format then it would perhaps entice me into PS3 ownership though I wouldn't buy it and keep my 360 it would have to be one or the other so Sony would also have to come up with a lot more games than it has now and improve its online service though I don't think that is beyond them. I think downloading films is the way to go but just like the next gen consoles are finding now its popularity will swing from country to country. While perhaps the US and Scandinavian countries seem to have widespread high spped access the British broaband scene is pathetically third world. One of the big providers here 'BT' whom I use are offering a digital TV service that runs along the same lines as your phone and broadband yet recently I've had a hell of a time getting them to fix a faulty line/exchamge as they pass the buck from one company to another. If I'd have had my digital TV with them I'd have been ripping my hair out but lucky I am with a satellite provider for television. Downloading will come but I still think it has some way to go for the majority of countries to catch up with some of the better one who have good infrastructure.

Console exclusives such as Halo on the Xbox are nice but I mainly play sports or racing games and both formats have their own good exclusives in those departments. Both have good FPS games too so if Sony did get their act together (from my perspective as a potential buyer) then I wouldn't have a problem trading all my Xbox stuff in for a PS3.

The novelty wears off with the Wii and then you're left with a few tired old games where as the next gen consoles continue to develop, perhaps you'll try one once you've finished pracing around your room like the sugar plum fairy waving your magic wand ;)

I disagree. As a proud owner of a Wii, I can tell you with certainty that it has near unlimited potential. Take for instance, the news channel, with frequently-updated (never ever more than 90 minutes apart) news in just about every category. Another good example would be the motion-sensitive controls fundamental to the Wii; they perform flawlessly in almost* every game. In addition, the Wii has consistently outsold the PS3 for nearly a year now, effectively proving that it is not a novelty.

*Blazing Angels was admittably a joke.

What I love about the Wii is I have a way to involve my wife and 6 year old daughter into my interest of video games.

Now instead of sitting on the couch watching TV, my wife and I laugh at the goofy positions our daughter bends herself into while trying to bowl, or how badly one of us sliced while trying to hit the green at Pebble Beach, or mostly they laugh at how irrate I get when I get a 7-10 split.

Add all that with the virtual console, backward compatibility with Gamecube games and you have a great system. This christmas season has a lot of games on tap for the Wii too....this is going to be the year the system really breaks out software wise.

Yeah, but have you seen the quality of movies netflix has available to view online?

To call them "stinkers" would be giving them credit....

I didn't mean "Watch them Online", what I meant is that you should eventually be able to DOWNLOAD the entire movie onto a HD and watch it in true HD 1080P or I format.

Add all that with the virtual console, backward compatibility with Gamecube games and you have a great system.

I like the fact that the majority of the Xbox 360 is backwards compatible to the older XBox, however, I don't like the fact that you MUST HAVE Xbox Live to download a patch for it.

Sucks.

Mike

I don't if its being launched in the US but in Europe Sony are releasing a new PS3 with a smaller HDD (40GB), less USB ports, no multimedia card reader but perhaps most importantly no backwards compatibility. Should I switch to the Sony brand I do like to look at older games and maybe play things like older versions of Gran Tourismo as I still played the original Forza on my 360 until Forza 2 was released and I'm playing through the single player campaign in Halo 1 and 2 before I get into 3's single play campaign. I do recall Sony deriding MS for their backwards compatability and saying how important it was for the PS3. Times change but as other consoles such as the Wii and 360 drop in price Sony's price drops seem to revolve around chopping things out of their console.

What I hate is games that are console exclusives, or almost as bad are given a lame port to the PC.

Of course, if every console had the same games then the point of having different consoles would disappear. The point really is that there are fewer exclusives now than ever before simply because game costs have gone so high that the cost of porting to other consoles is relatively small in return for the sales they will make by having them everywhere.

So I think we're going to see fewer and fewer of them.

At least I have the security of knowing that AC6 will be on PS3 soon. But doesnt it seem like there are less and less exclusives coming out every year? BTW I did think about getting the 360 for one game, Forza 2, Played the demo and was amazed by it!

Edited by Falcon161