Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ranger332

BAD NEWS POSTED AT SIMHQ

Guest Ranger332

Author Topic: Some very bad news...

wpnssgt

Member # 13972

posted 07-01-2003 20:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While cleaning out my computer I removed some old programs and everything was fine, then the reboot. When my computer rebooted I was greeted with a invalid system disk error and NO BOOT SECTOR on my C drive After a long period of pure anger I became aware that all my recent work & mods were gone, B-52, A-10, weapons

I'm starting from scratch now, A-10 first while working on a few weapons. Sorry folks

--------------------

SSgt Michael D Engle

2W151 USAF

"Without Weapons...Its Just Another Airline!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Nellis AFB, NV Viper AMU | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged

guderian ente

Member # 7696

posted 07-01-2003 20:52

Isn't this the third such incident that has befallen the Strike Fighters community? First the Sabre, then the Crusader, and now this...

Is it a curse?

USAFMTL

Member # 5503

posted 07-01-2003 21:23

Something is up. 2 weeks ago I lost everything. Then Lobo, lost his F8, now Wpnssgt and all his stuff. This is not a coincidence to me. Some body is messing around.

--------------------

David J. Slavens

USAF NCO

Guest Sony Tuckson

sorry to hear that

back up on CD-R is not an option, it's a must

if no burner avbl, try to have several hdd or at least several partitions on your hdd..

Guest Ranger332
sorry to hear that

back up on CD-R is not an option, it's a must

if no burner avbl, try to have several hdd or at least several partitions on your hdd..

so true---so true

I have my campaigns,aircraft.terrains,and missions,all on cd-r

Guest Sony Tuckson

wise habit, doing it also, which doesn't prevent us from bad surprises, but at least we reduce risk

before reformatting it.

If you have another Drive

Load Windows 98 On it and Boot up in Safe Mode.

This happened to me a few times after uninstalling lots of things..

Booting into Windows 98 Safe Mode Gave me access to the disk in PIO mode 4 granted i had to copy everything form it and the 10 GB partition took like 4 hours to copy..

but its better than starting all over.

If it was NTFS i dunno.

this usually happens when you un install alot of stuff and windows cleans the entries while shutting down and forgets to clear the cach on the harddisk before cutting power.

Guest Sony Tuckson

good tip!

thanks

i think there is a conspiracy goin on..

cause after i started posting progress screen shots i had someone with a Military screen name appear in my IRC channel and tried to hack me through my file server.

he managed to upload a Virus that would reformatt my harddrive upon reboot.

I think someone form FS2002 or CFS doesnt like the fact our community is growing.

Guest Sony Tuckson

this is really tough!!

if true this is scandalous!!

I dont believe in coincindences. How can 3 people heavily involved in SF loose all thier stuff in that short period of time. Then DO's incident. Hmmm smells fishy to me.

Guest Sony Tuckson

indeed

let's burn and save it all!!!!!!

If you have a boot disk with the FDISK command on it you might try the old "FDISK /MBR" command. This will re-write the Master Boot record of the drive and dump any viruses out of the Boot Sector. Make sure you don't reboot after running the command. As soon as it's done kill power to the system so that if the virus is in memory it doesn't jump back to the boot sector of the drive. If you need a disk let me know. I can zip it up and mail it to you.

i posted at simh this morning.

I Just realized that My Xbox .. which is on its way to tennesee to get the O/S releoded onto the harddrive was hacked by the same IP address that tried sending me the virus on irc.

Since My Xbox is Connected to my system and i was playin on XBOX live that day i guess the idiot penatred the firewall thru the XBOX Live Port Address and thought it was my pc and Uploaded a Virus..

Guest Sony Tuckson

whatever

this is serious and rather frightening....

up to now, my firewall does its job, but how long?

Digital Overload I've read your posts here and at simhq, and I have to report problems that do look like yours: my firewall is becoming mad everytime I connect in some particular places :twisted: (I am involved in Tainted Cigar).

Never reported this before, was afraid of looking very stupid.

I guess all this is coincidence but never had this kind of problems before.

Man, sure sorry to hear all this. Does seem like a little more than a coincidence. Bummer... :(

Just a word to you modders, dont give up. Your what makes this game come to life.

wow, holly **** .... i cant believe so much work has been lost ! (for example i have been waiting for the F-8 since i first read even the plans about it in skunkworks) How people coul dbe that low leveled ??? hacking with such intentions ? ..... so scary ...... pisses me off a great deal