So how would we call it?

Phantomcat? :biggrin:

Personally, I think F-4 Phlogger A... because it looks like a Mig-23 that needs to go to the gym, then the plastic surgeon! :biggrin:

...man, that swing wing Phantom is Rosie O'Donnell fugly... :blink:

So how would we call it?

Phantomcat? :biggrin:

LOL How about Tomtom? :yes:

Err...on second thought, maybe Phantomcat is the way to go!

In keeping with the McDonnell tradition of naming their fighters after spooky things, I'd suggest like... Mithras or Wraith.

Stormtrooper: custom built from Bad Frank's idea.

AJ: I LIKE "Wraith"...gotta keep in with the McDonnel tradition (also brings to mind spectral Chrylser racing cars and ghostly drivers). Besides, Nyarlathotep is waaay too hard to spell and pronounce.

Soon, fellas...still doing some weapons / avionics testing. Some fiddling with the paint job is also going on. Also have to find out who created the black serial number decals I'm using. All other are either mine, or stock. To say nothing of the 'alternate history readme' -- something I'm really good at!

Wrench

kevin stein

I LIKE "Wraith"...gotta keep in with the McDonnel tradition (also brings to mind spectral Chrylser racing cars and ghostly drivers). Besides, Nyarlathotep is waaay too hard to spell and pronounce.

I didn't know McDonnel had a naming tradition. Wraith does sound good.

What's it's designation anyway F-4(FV)S or just F-4S (i'm looking at the link posted above).

Most, if not all the American manufacturers have a 'naming tradition'. Mind you, pre-ww2 most aircraft weren't named by us (with some exceptions, of course, as always!)

McDonnel Corp always went after the supernatural kind; Banshee, Demon, Voodoo, Phantom

Douglas always (for the most part) went with a 'sky' type, even in their civil airliners; Skytrain, Skyraider, Skywarrior, Skyhawk

Grumman was usually feline: Wildcat, Hellcat, Cougar, Panther,

Boeing, with their large bombers, went with the fortress route; Flying Fortress*, SuperFortress, Stratofortress...

Vought went with high-seas types: Pirate, Corsair, Buccaneer, Jack Sparrow :haha:

There were exceptions, especially during the war. The first that comes to mind is the TBF 'Avenger', as it was designed before Pearl Harbor, and first flown after, it was to 'avenge' the attack. The Douglas TBD 'Devastor'...well, less said the better. Good plane for 1937, bad plane for 1942.

Wrench

kevin stein

*as originaly envisioned, the Y1B-17A was to go out and meet enemy fleets as they approached the American coast, defending it as the old style harbor defenses (forts) used do to, hence the name. This is 1935 thinking....before the era of strategic bombardment.

Ok this single seat version is just about finished..just have to polish up the readme, and get BadFrank's permission -- after all, he started it!! :haha: before zipping and uploading.

Wrench

kevin stein

Kevin, for sure you get my Permision to release it!

If you want to use my Decal you can also use it!

Seeing as the F-110A "Wraith" is off the production line. I've been thinking of a name that could suit the swing-wing phantom.

Seeing as it changes it's shape (well in a way) it could get the name "Shapeshifter" or something along those lines. I mean shapeshifting is along the lines of the supernatural, right? :)

Edited by Wolf65

Mabey the swing wing can be "Spirit" or "Shadow"?

But I like the idea of "Shapeshifter" too.

Spirit's already taken. Hmm, maybe Wisp or Doppelganger?

But this was pre B-2A era. So spirit is still in play. Well time to download the F-110A.

Wasn't the F-110A called the Spectre?

Phantasm sounds too much like another word

Consider the following:

Shadow

Spook

Fiend

Werewolf

I can't think of "Spectre" without thinking "Blofeld." :biggrin:

Phantasam brings to mind flying silver spheres, with lots of point-ed parts sticking out, ready to thawak into your head and suck out your brains.

Wrench

kevin stein

Shadow (AC-119), Spook (AC-47), Spectre (AC-130/YF-110), and Goblin (F-85) have all been used...

How's about Ghost?

Ghoul?

Zombie?

Oni?

Revenant?

I can't think of "Spectre" without thinking "Blofeld." :biggrin:

blofeld3ad.jpg

Didn't the Great Santini fly a single seat F-4 Phantom? I don't recall any GIBs inthe movie. There is plenty of room here for phictional Phantoms. What about the real single seat F4D?

:ph34r: CL