Here's an early WiP of the Mitsubishi AAM-3 IRM for the JASDF. I have the body and nose done fine, the problem right now is getting the fins down. I'm concentrating on the forward ones right now. They are a little off on size, which I will fix. The question is, what would be the best way to do them in Gmax. They are currently done with the line shape tool, which is fine except that they only show up on one side. (All four fins are actually on, but you can only see two)

As I continue this one and other WiPs, I'll post them in this thread as well.

aam3wip1rl2.th.jpg

I've been building my fins as REALLY thin boxes. Then reset the rotate point so it's the center of the model. Each clone I make of the fin I can then rotate perfectly around the model.

FastCargo

I tried that method, of making it a really thin box, but the problem was getting more vertices to use to shape it around the side view of the fin.

Guest capun

My preferred method is:

You can try using the line primitive then extrude it very small before you convert it to poly or mesh.

You can play with the extrude parameters to reduce the poly count

Another method could be to use the line primitive, clone it and flip the faces of the clone so you can have faces on both sides. You then can attach them together.

The downside to this is that sometimes you get mesh shimmering since some of the faces may overlap. You can reduce/remove it by moving the clone a bit just to remove the shimmering but not much as so to have a gap between the two sides.

Talos,

I was going to say something similiar regarding extruding. I usually will extrude to get extra faces...then weld vertices if I need to. I don't 'edge' my fins anymore because I kept getting 'shimmer'.

FastCargo

I tried the extruding. How does this look? I finally got all four fins installed and visible.

aam3wip2ql3.th.jpg

Modeling's just about finished on the AAM-3. I'm stuck right now trying to figure out how to send an attachment with PMs to someone who is converting it into LOD for me to test in game. After I make sure everything is fine in game, I will texture it and convert it once more. INI work is already completed.

aam3wip4kv4.th.jpg

Sorry to double post, but the AAM-3 is now in game. The LOD is looking good (Thanks Fastcargo!), all I need to do, other then texture it, is to modify the size of the missile (INI-wise) and rotate it 45 degrees in the modeling program. First kill was a MiG-25P at 5.6 kms, by the way.

aam3testflight1ev1.th.jpg

Edited by Talos

Well, now that my crashing problems with WOE are fixed, I have a more updates on my WiPs. Thanks to Fastcargo's awesome work converting and mapping the weapons, they are now moving into the texturing stage. Also added is the AAM-5 Type 04 missile soon to come into JASDF service.

aam35test1fv2.th.jpg