Hey everyone. Im workin on a mod for turrets. Its called the PCL-1. Ive done everything I can think of, but for some reason, it doesnt effect enemies. BTW, its not a visual problem. I dont want for it to be seen.

Here's its data:

[GunData001]

TypeName=PCL-1

FullName=Prototype Chemical Laser PCL-1

Caliber=150.000000

ROF=12000.000000

MuzzleVel=5000.000000

AmmoWt=0.000001

WarheadWt=0.0000001

Reliability=100.000000

Accuracy=100.000000

AddLight=FALSE

MaxLightRange=0.000000

FireColor=0.000000,0.000000,0.000000

GunFireEffect=

GunFireSound=

EffectClassName=

EffectTime=0.000000

TracerTexture=

TracerSize=0.000000

TracerDistFactor=0.000000

TracerLength=0.000000

MaxVisibleDist=0.000000

MaxStreakVisibleDist=0.000000

TimeFuzed=FALSE

If I did something horribly dumb please excuse it. I've never made a gun before.

Be careful with the projectile weight and it's combination with muzzel velocity. I screwed myself with that and and had a testbed aircraft break an ingame speed record (albeit flying backwards) whilst trying to dev a similar weapon. If it helps, you should be able to do more to create a laser effect by making each round fire a tracer and making sure each tracer round has a long 'tail', That way, you should (in theory) be able to have a beam style apperance without the associated inertial effects associated with massive rates of fire. One snag I ran into was that in the few times I got it to work, there was a dip in the stream after about a 2-3kms, but that's to be expected I guess. The only other negative is that in using this method, you're only able to keep the beam effect if you keep your aircraft from pitching/yawing in any direction other than stright and true, otherwise the beam bends.

Ok thx mate. It works much better now.

Hey I dont know whats wrong but I still cant get it to effect enemies as far as damage goes. It still looks coll though. :biggrin:

LOL wow...I found why I cant put the hurt on enemies when I fire. The gun fires backwards...I dont know how it happened or how to fix it though...if anyone wants the data to try it out or to fix/post it you're free to do so...

Edited by i90807065

Be careful with the projectile weight and it's combination with muzzel velocity. I screwed myself with that and and had a testbed aircraft break an ingame speed record (albeit flying backwards) whilst trying to dev a similar weapon.

Wow, you really need to post a video of that LOL :haha::rofl:

your bullets are creating an infinite deceleration due to drag. you need to set the caliber of the weapon to zero, and the projectile weight to 1 gram or so. also, I've noticed during my own laser weapon attempts that the AI doesn't aim very well if there is no tracer.

Edited by saint aj

your bullets are creating an infinite deceleration due to drag. you need to set the caliber of the weapon to zero, and the projectile weight to 1 gram or so. also, I've noticed during my own laser weapon attempts that the AI doesn't aim very well if there is no tracer.

Caliber shouldn't be an issue should it? I figured it's the multiplication of weight per round x fire rate...? In any event, that was my problem.

The muzzle velocity needs to be 299792458.0, to be "realistic". You mean also find that velocity requiring a tracer length of 10.0 or better, with miniscule diameters (0.010 might be too large).

Well I decided it would be easier to just make it a gunpod so now I ask will this work?

[WeaponData564]

TypeName=PCL-1

FullName=Prototype Chemical Laser PCL-1

ModelName=GunPod

Mass=32.000000

Diameter=0.560000

Length=5.050000

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF,USN,UK,W_GERMANY

NationName=USAF

StartYear=0

EndYear=2035

Availability=3

BaseQuantity=20

Exported=FALSE

ExportStartYear=0

ExportAvailability=0

WeaponDataType=3

GunTypeName=30MM_ADEN4

MaxRounds=100000

MuzzlePosition=0.000000,1.855500,-0.124300

LightPosition=0.000000,1.855500,-0.124300

AimDirection=0.000000,1.000000,0.000000

EjectShells=0

Caliber shouldn't be an issue should it? I figured it's the multiplication of weight per round x fire rate...? In any event, that was my problem.

Caliber matters, because the sim calculates drag on bullets using the frontal area (based on caliber) and velocity, and I'm guessing there's a drag table in the G1.dat file, and that's what's causing his bullets to go backward since the acceleration force acting on the bullets after they leave the muzzle is based on (75^2 * pi * very large number) divided by (very small number).

Edited by saint aj