Thanks for all the replies to the previous topic with suggestions.....this a.m. i experimented with using fewer airplanes than assigned in the campaign...this does not eliminate the chop...in a campaign, i start mission number 1 with no problems...in every campaign, missions 2/4/6...start to stutter...i have eliminated anti-virus running...screen saver is disabled..network connection is off.....all to no avail..refresh rate on the monitor is set to 85HZ...so i am thinkin' based on yesterdays replies that this is just not my computer problem... someone, who replied to my post yesterday, has i meg of ram and is still getting this stutter, then maybe it's the program.....i have run IL-2/ACES/PF for a long time as well as LOMAC and have experienced few graphics problems that could not be solved with the options menu..the difference in WOV to me is the radio chatter..pushed the option slider to the far left to disable and that did not work...so i am suggesting maybe a patch that would help or changing parameters somewhere in the program that the average bozo like me could understand. This situation is a shame because this could be a pretty good game. Does YAP address this stuttering graphics issue, or is there a way to solve this problem with a patch or a file edit. I am not buying this idea that TW can't find a solution.....All of us cannot purchase Alienware computers to run our flight sims and frankly, eliminating customers is counterproductive to the continued success of game designers.

Edited by fido88

Did you try adjusting the audio options to a lower setting? 8 channels instead of 32 or 16?

Yes, i have done that also.....in options i have graphic options to low, resolution is 640 x 480...lens flare is off... for the sound options i have no music, 8 channels set.......strange to me how some missions in campaign mode run smoothly in the air and near the ground and some, as in missions 2/4/6, start the wobble...everything is turned down in options as far as they will go.....

Yes, i have done that also.....in options i have graphic options to low, resolution is 640 x 480...lens flare is off... for the sound options i have no music, 8 channels set.......strange to me how some missions in campaign mode run smoothly in the air and near the ground and some, as in missions 2/4/6, start the wobble...everything is turned down in options as far as they will go.....

The real issue here, as I see it, is available processing power.

Onboard sound "steals" processor cycles. The less overall processing power you have to begin with, the less you can afford to lose. You might be able to gain some of it back, by setting the priority of the audio adapter within the PCI bus.

There's at least one app that I'm aware of (the PCI Latency Tool), that allows you to lower the latency value of the various devices on the PCI bus. You need to research this, and go from there.

I run with resolution at 1024x768x16

Refresh rate at 80

Someone mentioned setting horizon to near,I did that on all sims and it seems to help.

I also noticed that if game has to look in Object data cat for certain aircraft or ground objects it also slows down.

I have put all ground objects and aircraft files in appropriate folders.

Weapons pack also helps game to run better.

Just a few suggestions.

Hope they help.

I think if you check the Knowledge Base, there are some suggestion about improving performance.

Like removing the radar display from the upper right corner of the screen, and a few other things, I can't remember. Worth checking out, tho'.

The following tip is quoted from the Knowledge Base article "Initial Set-up Guide". It helped improve the performance on my machine.

"Sundry Graphics Tips

Kill the mirrors in graphics, they are monster frame-rate killers.

Kill the dynamic shadows, too, they kill the frame rate, and apparently also cause CTDs.

In the flightengine.ini file (in the flightdata.cat) there is something interesting! Under the section for:

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=1

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=0 (you will read -1 here)

The last line is the texture resolution aka mipmap LOD setting in the graphic card control panel or any tweak tool. The thing I wondered about is that the stock setting there is -1. That means that the game uses it's own mipmap setting rather than the one I set in RivaTuner. I have set the mipmap LOD to 0, cause a negative value will automatically decrease the fps rate quite a bit.

Even -0,5 is too tough. When you know fly with the max detail settings in SF, you will automatically forced to fly with a mipmap detail of -1. That's a heavy load on the CPU cause the standard setting is always 0! On the ground I had around 25fps, now I have 38 with the mipmap distance to 0 and Vsync on. You can set the mipmap distance in OpenGL but not under D3D, so you need a tweaker. Always wondered, why the fps is so low in the cockpit, now I know why.

It only affects the highest detail settings cause for the lower detail, there are numbers around 265 which is pretty low. Set it to 0 and you can turn on the cockpit mirrors while the game stays smooth and you can use the highest detail in the game! It runs so much smoother now. Don't know why TK decided to use -1 cause there really is almost no viewable difference in the terrain quality. Hope I could help some of you who had notoriously low fps rates. You can even try a positive value like 0,5 which wouldn't look much different either. So there is no need to drop the detail."

• Like 1

The following tip is quoted from the Knowledge Base article "Initial Set-up Guide". It helped improve the performance on my machine.

"Sundry Graphics Tips

Kill the mirrors in graphics, they are monster frame-rate killers.

Kill the dynamic shadows, too, they kill the frame rate, and apparently also cause CTDs.

In the flightengine.ini file (in the flightdata.cat) there is something interesting! Under the section for:

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=1

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=0 (you will read -1 here)

Tank03, this also helped my performance too. Although it's still down to processor power in the end...I tend to stay away from Hanoi and other SAM hotspots and the game runs as smooth as...a smooth thing ! :good: