Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alligator Devil

MORE LIFE AT THE TRENCHES

Guest Alligator Devil

I was bored this morning and i've set up about 50 new target areas in Flanders' no mans land (half of them allied and the other half german)

The target areas are composed by Geo's artillery, stock AAA flaks, some tents, trucks, bunkers and A-Team gunners.

They will appear in campaign mode and also in single missions.

Now the trenches look like real trenches, and they are a real danger for the planes over them (for not to talk about tanks, they will resist only a few seconds)

Do you miss RB3D trenches ??? LOL

trench1sj2.jpg

trench2ll5.jpg

trench3yg7.jpg

I need to make a little tunning (not too much) and permission from Edward, Geo and the A-Team to upload the updated flanders_targets.ini and flanders_types.ini

And thanks to Tailspin for his help !!!

Edited by Alligator Devil

AG,

This is a really good idea, and nice work! If I may make a constructive comment, most of the longer guns were kept behind the lines, or "muddy area" on the terrain tiles.

If it isn't too much of a PITA, perhaps some of the targets could be hidden amongst trees, behind farm hedges, and grouped into batteries etc. This would in a simple way add to the whole mod.

In a any case, I'm loving it!

Nice work!

Target-rich environments are always a happy thing, though a bit dangerous, hehehe.

Guest Alligator Devil

I have been doing some testing:

It works very fine in single missions and it doesn't have a fps impact.

But it has a high fps impact in campaign mode....

I made two versions:

a) 50 target areas with 18 items for each area.

b) 50 target areas with 10 items for each area.

But i didn't noticed any change on the fps impact at the campaign mode between the two versions, so i think the problem is not the quantity of items.

What's the problem ???

I don't know.

Can somebody help ???

It works very fine in single missions and it doesn't have a fps impact.

But it has a high fps impact in campaign mode....

What's the problem ???

Not sure if this is relevant, as I don't know if your ground targets are shooting at each other, but are you familiar with Heck's Active Battlefield Mod?

He ran into some problems with this lovely mod, and figured that it had to do with the total number of actions that were going on, and it resulted in the mission stats not showing up upon termination. AFAIK, it was never resolved. Is this also the case for your mod as well? I cannot remember what variable was increased in what file in the game (will try searching for it), and it helped somewhat for short missions, but for me, using this terrain mod always resulted in no mission stats for longer missions.

Also, perhaps post over at the 3rd Wire forum and get TK's opinion...

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Very nice AD.

Ground activity/objects in campaigns especially adds to that hard to define "immersion" factor. Bit lacking at moment, but with more stuff from TK (he has indicated some some things), more user made campaigns, and things like this and what tailspin and shrikehawk and others have done, we may be moving in the right direction.

Re FPS, you should post at Thirdwire's site, in the general area. Lots of guys would have done/tried this for TKs other games, would be a wealth of knowledge there. And TK of course.

Edited by peter01