Sign in to follow this  
Dels

Question about shadows

G'Day,

My C-130H is finished, I just wanted to release it with a shadow file. The only problem is that the shadow has problems and I'm new to creating shadows so I need some help.

I created the shadow using the 3rd LOD for the aircraft and it works fine, but there seems to be holes in the shadow as if those polys were missing in the model it was created from. However, the model is fine.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance.

Dels

Guest capun

I haven't used shadows in a long time, IMHO they are just not worth the hassle and fps loss.

If I remember right last time I did it, you run an STL check to find errors with the meshes. I'll dig out my notes and see If I find more information

Just make sure there are no holes in your base mesh. Also, the shadow itself is just a "hull" around the real model, so if the lod you export the shadow from has less sides on external parts it will not match the highpoly lod.

Just make sure there are no holes in your base mesh. Also, the shadow itself is just a "hull" around the real model, so if the lod you export the shadow from has less sides on external parts it will not match the highpoly lod.

Thanks for the reply Julhelm. Does this mean that you are supposed to make the shadow from your highpoly LOD? Otherwise, how is it possible to match them?

Yeah I always do it from the highest lod. To help framerates you can omit (that is, "model over") unnecessary s**t like cockpits and that stuff.

Yeah I always do it from the highest lod. To help framerates you can omit (that is, "model over") unnecessary s**t like cockpits and that stuff.

Ok, now you've lost me. What do you mean by "model over"? Do you mean build a new section of the model over the top?