Whilst fiddling around with the FAA Corsair Mk.2, I thought I'd give this whirl....

dash2_corsair.jpg

Now, mind you, the Dash 2's were all built out of Dash 1's, so they'd need the 'birdcage' cockpit....but its ok for now. (meaning I can't get the 'framework' decal to work on the canopy....)

What's really needed is an insturment panel/cocpit with the radar scope!!! I can't find one to use...nothing fits right (the closest is Razbam's AD-4, but....and the Sabre Dog needs WAAAAY to much reworking). If you fly with the little radar display in the upper right corner, it's all good. But if you don't.....

So, anyone have any ideeers???? I've tried moving gauges (there aren't many to choose from, and they're all needed flight insturments....

Other than needed a half-way decent pit, it nearly ready.

Markings are VF(N)-101 (leaving it in standard tri-color, it could also be VMF(N)-532)

Wasnt there a -5N out somewhere??

Wrench

kevin sten

and the Sabre Dog needs WAAAAY to much reworking)

I've figured out many the Dora's guage and radar box moves if you are interested, and fixed the clock needle positions.

Yes, Please Lexx!

For a ww2 prop job, it should be fairly easy to repaint a few faces (like the EGT to 'CYL HD Temp'). Most folks don't seem to look at the gauges too much anyway.

If that works out, getting permission from the SabreDog team would be next step

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, study this thread page in depth and see if its what you need. If the DogSabreTeam gives you the go-code for Corsair interceptor, I'll provide the cockpit file Moves.

~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...c&start=128

For best radar positioning, we remove the large horizontal compass wheel, but you probably don't need it in the older Corsair. Is that Correct Thinking?

Sweet! Now, I just have to find them...oh Dave...weren't you on the SabreDog team??

Yes, indeed the compass tape thingy. I figgured the HSI would be most important for night operations ... since its the only thing that'll tell if you're upsided down or what!!

If we can get Geo to come out with a -5 Hellcat.....(or figure out the moves on the MF F4U-7 - a new skin would be needed, of course for Korea...)

Off to study that thread again...one of the best 'tweek' threads around, btw.

Thanks Lexx!

Wrench

kevin stein

Nope. I mean the large horizontal direction indicator. The big round compass wheel.

That's what I meant!!! :blush:

I've been flying it just a little bit ago, the scope basically just needs to be moved up. There were some data ini tweeks needed, as Wolf has the wings in the F4U cockpit lod, so I had to 'turn them back on' in the data ini. Dialed in cockpit position; looks pretty good.

Guns probably need aim angles, and adjusting. Might have to 'borrow' them from the BoB planes from Baltika's set. They're fairly close right now, just need a little tweek.

I'll get some screenies of what I have up later...nearly dinner time, and we're going to watch the 'Tranformers' dvd tonight! :cool:

again, thanks Lexx!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest capun

Kevin

Just in case the F-4U and AU-1 pits were done by Kesselbrut

Yep, I move the radar up in place of the direction wheel, which is moved out of view.

The very nice and deep 3-D radar assembly, when moved up, behaves far more friendly than way down in the cockpit as in the F-86D. Its really nice to work with, yet still smallish. We may be able to remove the rubber boot (or hood), as those Corsair pics don't seem to have one.

CP: they're Daniel's??? I didn't know that ... no wonder they look so good!! :good:

Lexx: good enough for me! It dosen't have to be perfect; left the rivet counters whine. Just want something that works.

Been informed there is a -5N in the works; but I think we'll forge ahead with this one. Even if it has the wrong canopy; at night, who can tell, eh??

Wrench

kevin stein

LEXX:

Thanks for that link. Now I can do some remodding for myself.

Anyone notice how cluttered the cockpits were back then?

They put the instruments and controls anyplace they would fit.

Yeah. I read that the Indians complained about piles of junk the Soviets built up in front of the pilots. One Indian ex-pilot at ACIG poasted, or was quoted, that it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a simple screwdriver. :dntknw:

Yough Wrench, if you get the go code from the DogSabreTeam, I'll take up the Corsair for some spinnage and get the cockpit as best I can. If you want, you could include in your releace an option, rather deep, to use the generic method of instrument panel inside the Corsair external model -- if it works. I forgot if the Corsair's canopy struts are visible from the inside. I think they are, but not sure.

The "Go" has been given. Do you want the whole package?

If so, I"ll zip it up, and PM you a link

Thanks again Lexx!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I need to tweak some things, Offset mainly I think, to get the pipper right and....the amount of radar scope visible inside the boot depends on Offset, but we may be able to remove the boot too. More tommorow.

These are nice models, both cockpit and Corsair. For the player in the cockpit, the Corsair nose can be turned ON to show the prop disc from the player position, and the fuselage turned OFF to eliminate the model's canopy framework. Note the clear canopy glass -- essential for night or low light level missions.

Corsair2.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Lexx, you da man!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

US Navy needs my ideas? OK, I have one idea that I wish to share with them. Replace squids with eels. You like?

Wrench, what kind of radar display grid would the Corsair use, if any at all? Would a blank black or dark grey bmp file be more "primitive" -- or Corsair~esque -- than the A-4E's grid ?

Okay, the way I've got it setup now, the radar boot or hood hides the upper section (about 20%) of the radar display, depending on player look up/down position (boot is 3D, nice). That only effects search and track at long range. The bottom is perfectly visible, and this is what counts in gunnery.

To give the player better range estimation for gunnery, I'm using 0.5nm minimum track range. Is this acceptable?

That sound about right...in fact, I'm going to tweek the avioncs to give a 1 mile range. The A1A radar used on these early nightfighter was pretty crappy. I think even the early British AI versions were better. Max search range should be around 8-10 nm Max!!!, 'track' should be 1-3 miles or so.

Of course, these (F4U-2) were replaced almost fully by ~early 1945 with F6F-5Ns using the AN/APS-4 or -6 radars that were much better.

As to the grid, I'm lazy and just went with what was avialable. Probably, given the time frame of usage, a black no-grid would most likely be apporiate. Unless they use a 'fan' type display V shaped...haven't found anything to confirm or deny.

Wrench

kevin stein

as to BB's statement, I like squids better than eels...much tastier with a little soy sauce. Fast seared on a girll, then scraffed down!

as to BB's statement, I like squids better than eels...much tastier with a little soy sauce. Fast seared on a girll, then scraffed down!

Which girll to sear them on, that is the question.. :tongue:

Wrench, here it is... First -- external model DATA file ... turn OFF the fuselage ... turn ON the Nose

Cockpit stuff....

Offset=0.0,0.15,-0.02

;

:

MaxYaw=170

MinYaw=-170

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-50

MinPitchRear=-30

:

NightLightOn=0.75

NightLightColor=0.5,0.2,0.3

//Night Lite -- change to taste, I never liked the standard SF deep purple

:

:

:

Instrument[031]=Move1

Instrument[032]=Move2

Instrument[033]=Move3

Instrument[034]=Move4

Instrument[035]=Move5

Instrument[036]=Move6

Instrument[037]=Move7

Instrument[038]=Move8

Instrument[039]=Move9

Instrument[040]=Move10

Instrument[041]=Move11

Instrument[042]=Move12

Instrument[043]=Move13

Instrument[044]=Move14

Instrument[045]=Move15

Instrument[046]=Move16

Instrument[047]=Move17

Instrument[048]=Move18

Instrument[049]=Move19

Instrument[050]=Move20

Instrument[051]=Move21

Instrument[052]=Move22

Instrument[053]=Move23

Instrument[054]=Move24

Instrument[055]=Move25

:

:

:

This fixes the Mach scale, test it if you like. Or, I guess we can remove it if you don't want it in the Corsair.

[MachScale]

Type=MACH_NUMBER_INDICATOR

NodeName=needle_mach

MovementType=ROTATION_Z

Set[01].Position=0

Set[01].Value=0.4

Set[02].Position=180

Set[02].Value=1.0

Set[03].Position=360

Set[03].Value=1.6

:

:

:

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=clock

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=0.0115

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=0.0115

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=needle_clock_hour

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=0.0115

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=0.0115

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move3]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=needle_clock_sec

MovementType=POSITION_X

Set[01].Position=-0.0135

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-0.0135

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move4]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=needle_clock_min

MovementType=POSITION_X

Set[01].Position=-0.0135

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-0.0135

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move5]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=directional_indicator

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move6]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=needle_directional

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move7]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=Scope_Hood

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=0.16

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=0.16

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move8]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=Radar_Scope

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-0.04

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-0.04

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move9]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=canopy_glass

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move10]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=windshield_glass

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

I could further attempt tweaking the scope hood (rubber boot) , to make less of it appear, or remove it entirely.

Cool! Thanks Lexx, I'll test this and see what it looks like!

Wrench

kevin stein

I'd say it looks damn good...

new_corsair-nf_pit.jpg

The clock hands are too high, but that's the only real glitch. I did change the Min/MaxYaw position to 150, so you don't see the 'hole' where the fuselage would be with it turned off. Still need to re-label the EGT to 'Cyl Head'.

As to the scope boot, I say we leave it, but give the end user the option to remove it if they want.

We all know it's not 100% accurate, but it IS usable (until the MF comes out with theirs). We make due with what we have!

Wrench

kevin stein