Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

Commercial Add-ons?

Commercial Add-on purchase  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Have you purchased a commercial add-on for the SF series?

• No
    • Yes, a 3rd party add-on
    • Yes, an offical 3rd Wire add-on
    • Yes, both 3rd party and 3rd Wire add-ons
  2. 2. Which is most important to you in a commercial add-on?

• New flyable aircraft
    • New AI aircraft
    • New terrain map
    • New ground targets
    • New campaign
  3. 3. What add-on would you most likely purchase...

• A New Map
    • A New Aircraft
    • Flyable Cockpits for "AI" Aircraft
    • A New Campaign
    • An Enhancement for an existing map

Well to me that equates to rivet counting, which is just ridiculous, and pisses people off. But I guess it's everyone's right to criticize.

Different people have different thresholds.

Just because you or I don't see a problem doesn't mean its not there.

This game is capable of handling relatively accurate hi-poly models, so why not strive to get them as accurate as possible?

In fact, as the resolution of textures continue to increase, I think rivet counting is going to become important to those who want to claim to have the best skins.

I can even see a day when the permissible poly counts get high enough that the panels and rivets will be accurately modeled in 3d, which would mean all the texture guys would need to do is apply weathering effects and perhaps some highlights/shadows if the graphics engine doesn't make them stand out well enough through lighting and shadows.

I look forward to the day when rivet counters will find that the right number, shape, and size of rivets are on each model :)

Frog goes "rivet rivet", even in land of infidel, yes?

frog02.gif

I look forward to the day when rivet counters will find that the right number, shape, and size of rivets are on each model :)

Those are the people that drive other people away and need to get a life. If the person making it could of gotten better in the first place they would of. They can always improve it but there is a fine line between that an just plain nitpicking. This last example was nitpicking.

Those are the people that drive other people away and need to get a life. If the person making it could of gotten better in the first place they would of. They can always improve it but there is a fine line between that an just plain nitpicking. This last example was nitpicking.

The topic of this thread is in regards to buying commercial add ons - which is why I mentioned that I would probably buy an F-16 model that was an improvement on the existing models - which are not perfect as stated above. The fact that I can see imperfections in the nose may be considered "nit-picking" but would be the reason why I might buy a better model if it was made.

This was not aimed to critisise anyone so apologies if that is how it has been read - Ive just finished a WOE campaign with a Block 1 actually :good:

If u want perfection, then make it yourself, because the modders here bust their a*&es to make mods that we can all enjoy and spend bookoo bucks to make them to the best of their ability and then release them as freeware. IMHO noone should b*$h about free addons when they are kicka#$ and in the words of Forrest Gump, THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT! I am referring to all rivet counters as well, no one in particular.

Semper Fi, GHST06

AKA Jarhead1

Edited by Jarhead1

The topic of this thread is in regards to buying commercial add ons - which is why I mentioned that I would probably buy an F-16 model that was an improvement on the existing models - which are not perfect as stated above. The fact that I can see imperfections in the nose may be considered "nit-picking" but would be the reason why I might buy a better model if it was made.

This was not aimed to critisise anyone so apologies if that is how it has been read - Ive just finished a WOE campaign with a Block 1 actually :good:

I am not picking on you Coolhand I am making a point about rivet counting in general. Its not needed here.

I am not picking on you Coolhand I am making a point about rivet counting in general. Its not needed here.

kk its fine - one of the best things about this community is that we outlawed the rivet counters many years ago :biggrin:

we don't need to speak much about the existing f-16 models, they are the best available and they are far more better (in every area) than the first one out some years agoo.

the mentionned fact is very minor glitch, some f-16 models in some other games aren't so good

the mentionned fact is very minor glitch, some f-16 models in some other games aren't so good

Yep I agree - though can we swing this thread back to the original topic if poss now - thanks guys

I wasn't on the Mirage Factory F-16 project, but as a member of the team as whole I can say that we strive for perfection while at the same time recognizing that perfection is unattainable. We are happy to put out mods that reflect the best work we can possibly do, and we don't mind constructive criticism such as you have offered. If you could give us some concrete example of the problem, we will look into it. We don't shy away from criticism because we are always looking to improve.

So basically, feel free to post comments like you did, but it always helps to try and illustrate your point with screenshots, pictures, or other data. :ok:

Back on the thread subject: The only one I paid for sofar are the YAP missions because they make the game more memorable.

The immersion factor in whichever way, shape or form achieved will get me buying add-ons.

Another subject: do eels eat frogs?

Edited by jazz5150

I have another two weeks before next payday, but then i plan to buy either WOI (If its out) or the FE Addon. I'm not in a big hurry because i have spent the last few months adding mods and tweaking my install and i don't look forward to having to do it all over again and a few things like rockets and wing guns will need the new Weapons Editor TK is planning to release before they work again.

On the TW Forums TK has said that a new patch(es) will be released soon that will add the features without the new content, So re-modding is inescapable but i'm going to enjoy my current install for awhile longer.

I'm guessing that a new Patch will come out after WOI is released to cover SFP1,WOV and WOE and bring them up to the new standard but with almost 200 addon aircraft and the various terrains and ground units in my current WOE install i'll probably just buy WOI and leave my WOE alone. It would be a true nightmare to re-mod it.

So, Will i buy new products from TW? Yes! TK makes great sims and is one of the most generious developers i know of and i'll be glad to lend my support. :good:

I just wish it didnt break our current installs. :rolleyes:

While I don't mind occasionally supporting TK(it's not like he releases something new THAT often) I have no interest in type of add-on's you can find for Micro$oft Flight $imulator. Sorry but paying for plane after plane or map after map, maybe pay per tile? :rofl: Especially all this online buying is what is a major PIA for me. If SF series was like that from the begining I doubt I would ever show so much interest.

I say long live MirageFactory and other people like them :good::clapping:

In not so many words, it takes more than one plane type or one map or one cockpit for me to be interested, it's not like that one plane or one map don't deserve it, it's just that I'm used to buying GAMES as a whole, maybe expansions, but buying small pieces of games is simply a line I'm not willing to cross.

Edited by Brain32

Frog goes "rivet rivet", even in land of infidel, yes?

frog02.gif

ROFLMAO :rofl:

Yep, half of the folks say they would pay for an add-on. However there are different categories. I consider FE's Expansion Pack an "Official" add-on so I voted YES. If the choices were limited to 3rd Party offers I would have said NO. Since the YES vote is split into different specific situations, IMO, the solid 47.92% NO votes is pretty significant.

I think an expansion should have either A) a lot of new airplanes and campaigns for them or B) a couple of new airplanes and a new terrain plus campaigns.

In other words, a new terrain is worth half a dozen planes. :wink: That's mainly because we have many modders doing great work on planes, but very few doing terrains and only a small number of those are to the quality of the stock terrain due to the higher difficulty involved creating them.

FE Exp 1 was a great addon, mainly because it offered MORE than the stock game came with! It more than doubled the number of flyables and added a terrain superior to the original.

WOE is almost an expansion to WOV thanks to the integration. The pricing was the same as FE, too. The only difference is WOE is standalone while FE Exp 1 requires FE. I'd like it if WOI integrates with WoV/WoE and more FE expansion come to add on.

That way, you'd only need one stock install of each (discounting the myriad others we have for mods :wink: ). Also makes those of us who play MP have an easier time as we could run WOI, choose from the 3 terrains, and then pick any of the planes released in any of the 3 to fly in or against.

Anyway, FE Exp 1 is great and I'm on board for WoI. :bb:

Thanks for the responses, please see part 2...