Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

Another Nuclear Threat

http://www.coha.org/2007/10/26/lula-wants-...llow-submarine/ :haha::haha::haha:

i think somewone take some drink before wrote this! :haha:

somewone take it serious?

\o\ a lot of infundated supositions \o\

Is Brazil's proposed Construction of a Nuclear Submarine the result of Imperial Ambitions:haha:

or a matter of diving to the depths of pandering politics on Lula's part?

China recently launched 2 SSBN and this organization said nothing

Edited by Silverbolt

No!

this project already exist since 1988!

but the govrnments cut the costs and just now it can flow, in the second administration of President Lula, now after canceling the naval modernization program and the Airforce new interceptor program, he said :"in the next year will be more money to Defense", the Military forces actualy spend 1% of economy, in 2008 this number will be to 2,5.

i read in some place: the USAF in 3 days spend one year of Brazilian Airforce Budget!

in the last year Lula canceled the Nuclear sub for a undeterminated time....but this year he want procede with it.... i troght its because Venezuela ,Chile and Peru are Re-armating they forces, so we(Brazil) cannot left behind.

and i can feel some agressive politics in Venezuela, Hugo chavez buy some Russians anti-air batery(Tor-M1, and S-300), 2 AMUR class SSN, 24 Sukhois Su-30MKK , a lot of Attack helicopters Mi-35 and 100.000 Kalashnikovs

I personaly dont like lula, but he have to mantain the Military forces level in south america.

this organization, before publicate it, have to check the operacional status of our Forces,just for a overview, our carrier(Foch class) are stoped since september of 2006 becaus it crash one of the axis

oh and i was forgeting, the last president, sing in 1998 a non nuclear proliferations treaty, but i dont know now how it is O.ô

but its just a attack submarine, non a SBM launcher

Edited by Silverbolt

its real. Brazil has been working on an SSN for quite some time. Not surprising that this project is getting some visibility, but it is by no means a joke.

"Imperial Ambitions"

it was a really joke, we havent money and a to support our own forces keep alive who will said a long campaing in another country :(

Edited by Silverbolt

The thing is unless you want to power project and have your ships sailing around the world for months on end, nuclear power isn't necessary. Diesel/electric subs are far quieter and have plenty of range when you're interested in coastal waters. Nuke subs have the disadvantage there because of plant noise. Only recently has the US made its nuke subs quiet enough to compete with those.

What good is a 1st gen nuke sub going to be when everyone can hear it?

The thing is unless you want to power project and have your ships sailing around the world for months on end, nuclear power isn't necessary. Diesel/electric subs are far quieter and have plenty of range when you're interested in coastal waters. Nuke subs have the disadvantage there because of plant noise. Only recently has the US made its nuke subs quiet enough to compete with those.

What good is a 1st gen nuke sub going to be when everyone can hear it?

because it won't be a 1st generation sub that "everyone" can hear. Think who it might be a deterrent to.

If this is Brazil's first nuke sub, by defintion it's 1st generation.

nein, my friend. In nuke sub terminology that is used to describe the various generations of engineering configurations. I don't know the details of the Brazilian design, but I really, really doubt they are starting at the same baseline that the USN and SN started at.

ops, sorry, this sub starts the devlopment in 79!

now Brazil have one Scale model who cost U$1 bilion and nothing more

ops, sorry, this sub starts the devlopment in 79!

now Brazil have one Scale model who cost U$1 bilion and nothing more

I think its $1 billion Brazilian whatevercurrency they use, not US, to finish the program. They have developed a prototype nuclear propulsion engineering plant (ashore). The additional investment is to finish the program and bring it to a working submarine.

I think its $1 billion Brazilian whatevercurrency they use, not US, to finish the program. They have developed a prototype nuclear propulsion engineering plant (ashore). The additional investment is to finish the program and bring it to a working submarine.

thats estimating in US Dollars...hmm aprox 2 billions of "Reais"(the current money), just in project.

i dont really know, but i think for the USN its not too much to a project( i really guess no)

thats the frustating step.... put it into work...**Politics** , they have the way to delay evrything.....

well, Brazil have the Tikuna Class, its a good Diesel Submarine and Brazilian navy is aiming on Scorpene Class or in the U-214...but a nuclear Sub is one more step to the Defense Technology in Brazil...

Nuclear tech, power, and weapons have been around for over 50 years, most of the stuff from just 20 yrs ago is common knowledge, what is boils down to is having the money and materials to do so. Now the nuclear tech of these seemingly developing and 2nd world nations may not be up to par with the US, Russia, China, or NATO but believe me, I doubt if it is a 1940s vintage box crammed to the gills with the Radiation King 200.

Brazil wants to join the club and if they step out of line (which I doubt) an ADCAP will do nicely.

thats estimating in US Dollars...hmm aprox 2 billions of "Reais"(the current money), just in project.

i dont really know, but i think for the USN its not too much to a project( i really guess no)

thats the frustating step.... put it into work...**Politics** , they have the way to delay evrything.....

well, Brazil have the Tikuna Class, its a good Diesel Submarine and Brazilian navy is aiming on Scorpene Class or in the U-214...but a nuclear Sub is one more step to the Defense Technology in Brazil...

the article that I saw quoted $1 bil in Brazilian with the conversion in brackets as follows (US$ 500mil.)

There's more to a nuke sub than a working reactor. Sound suppression is very important and that's not the kind of knowledge that's going to be easily available. You figure it out by trial and error.

There's more to a nuke sub than a working reactor. Sound suppression is very important and that's not the kind of knowledge that's going to be easily available. You figure it out by trial and error.

having tracked a few nukes, I know that very, very well. The Brazilian project is not starting at ground zero (pun intended) but is building off of quite a lot of development and technical data available to them. Of particular note are the late model conventional subs they also operate.

Edited by Typhoid

the article that I saw quoted $1 bil in Brazilian with the conversion in brackets as follows (US$ 500mil.)

oh >.<

i need pay more atention to what i read