Sign in to follow this  
jazz5150

A-7 Corsair II external fuel

Question about the Corsair II. In game (WOV) the plane carries external fuel tanks a lot. In pictures I have only seen external tanks on the A-7 when it was used as buddy tanker.

Is the in game loadout correct or should I delete the fuel tanks on the inner pylons in the loadout.ini file to be more historically correct?

Thanks for the help.

The loadout is correct insofar as the A-7 can and frequenly did carry tanks on the inboard pylons. Tanks on the outboard pylons were generally only carried for tanking ops or ferry flights. An A-7 pilot has told me that a single tank on one of the inboard pylons was a common configuration, but the lack of trim would make flying with the unbalanced load frustrating.

Personally, I take the tanks out of the default loadouts for the A-7. It has enough internal fuel to fly anywhere and back on these 60% scale maps in SF games.

Question about the Corsair II. In game (WOV) the plane carries external fuel tanks a lot. In pictures I have only seen external tanks on the A-7 when it was used as buddy tanker.

Is the in game loadout correct or should I delete the fuel tanks on the inner pylons in the loadout.ini file to be more historically correct?

Thanks for the help.

yes and no. Depends on how far away the target was. For routine peacetime ops around the boat they didn't use tanks all that much, but if they were "going downtown" they needed the fuel. Weapons load at 400nm rarely would exceed 4k lbs. Everything else was fuel.