Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Moving forward ....

Been a bit of a schizo week for me :crazy: ................moving constantly to and fro from Expansion Pack to previous release, undecided. No doubt, in all ways, the new version is a far better game.

Main thing to me, may have found a solution to the AI issue. So I'm really happy and enjoying the new game thoroughly. TK should still fix/improve, but whether he does or not, its probably okay.

I'm sure most of you like me, are keen to see all the great addon planes working well in the Expansion pack. So my efforts will focus solely on Expansion pack FMs.

Started looking at this, and there are some difficulties or challenges. Mainly timing, time, learning about the new flight model, deciding the best way to go forward. Heres a quick rundown.

Timing - probably best to wait till after patch before doing to much, could be some major changes.

Time, because its not that simple. And the learning curve in the newer way of doing the FMs. I'm also still finishing the N27 (reworked what I did/posted before considerably - the expansion pack flight model is just so different).

The options, now looking at it more, are to do quick conversions, partial conversions, or full conversions. And likely to be a combination of all three, depending on the FM. Whether that then changes over time, not sure :unsure:

There is a lot of benefit in doing some planes in some ways and others in other ways - a mix. On the one hand quick or partial won't work well for some FMs, and yet because of the way TK has done his, if you do them in a similar manner they will feel very much the same as his. TKs under the hood, so to speak, are very similar. Long story, but its one reason I think the FMs may change in the patch or later.

And a quick conversion isn't that quick (and has major other drawbacks too for some, not all), partial conversion takes as long as full, and is better for some planes than others (and different ways of doing partials). Finally a full conversion isn't that difficult, but the planes will feel quite different to before (some lots better of course), but mainly all FMs will start to feel very similar. I don't like that personally, they should feel different.

So, in a way, having options/different ways of doing things is good :good: , there will be greater differences between planes than before.

Its not all that complex really :drag:, tho it sounds it, just takes time. But I thought I better explain a bit.

Edited by peter01

I for one will be awaiting the results of your efforts.

Thanks.

Me Too thanks for all your hard work

Thanks guys.

An update, while I'm at work, not doing FMs.

Its early days, but looking good.........trialled some ways to do conversions, and in terms of time to do, it varies, some need to be redone extensively, some not. But none too hard now I'm getting the hang of the new flight model.

How do they feel. Well, again some translate better than others, and those that don't I do differently. To me, on the whole they are good, somewhere between TKs best and his others. Camel and Dr1 are impossible to do better (at least at this early stage), and his 2-seaters/bombers are great. They feel somewhat different, as TK has done his differently, but better or worse, not sure, we'll see. I like them, prefer them to the others, but I'm biased of course.

A good thing is re-using my previous FMs. They are pretty consistent/balanced from 1915 to 1918, and that was just a huge task. It does mean I will redo at least the performance of some of Tks too - Se5, Spad13, Fokkers, Albs. They are underdone a bit to me. And optimise AI. But further down the track.

Thought I do the conversions a few for one period at a time, around mid 1918, as its best for me to do and test them against one another that way,ie, comparable performing planes, then maybe early 1917. I'm itching to do the E1s and Moranes, and some of Borts, but probably best to do those that fit with TKs era first. So if anyone is considering doing campaigns ........

On the AI side, I'm testing with the Ace skill level only. And at that level, in comparable planes, the dogfighting is very tough. And interesting, TK has done some rally wonderous things with the AI. Of course he hasn't optimised them, he never does. His target audience maybe the casual player, different perhaps to how I and many of you like. These I'm doing are probably tough on Vet/Regular level too, but though I did always test different levels before, this time around just want to get some FMs out, not spend too much time tweaking/testing.

Tex suggested that the AI be very very good as Aces, good as Vets, and the rest..well, the rest. Good idea I think, but I don't have that "feel" or time for the game yet to best judge this. And the AI could change a bit in the patch. So will have to wait. And will require changes to the skill level settings in the Aircraftobject.ini too, which I think I will do.

Finally, its a bit of work (i think 've done about 70 FMs - all candidates for conversions), want to progress, but again, takes time. And also, not going to do heaps before a patch (and reworking rework!), maybe up to a dozen or so, enough to add planes to game, and so I start getting a feel for it, and maybe feedback.

i'll post the ones before patch here on forum on this thread rather than d/l section - don't want casual players to get confused by different FMs, or reload if I need to change - which is very likely. So if you like customising planes, my advice is wait a bit - even for TKs.

Edited by peter01

Peter could you consider the following as higher prio then the rest?

Bristol F.2B

Martinsyde G100

FE2B

Pfalz D.III

Dolphin

Breguet Br. XIV

That would allow for much more realistic setup of the two stock E1 campaings.

Tex

Bristol F.2B

Martinsyde G100

FE2B

Pfalz D.III

Dolphin

Breguet Br. XIV

Tex

Okay, sounds good idea Tex. Will give it a go, though haven't started on many of these particular ones.

Edited by peter01

Dolphin

Tex

Where does one find the Dolphin for d/l??

Thanks.

Where does one find the Dolphin for d/l??

Thanks.

Capuns site.you will need to get a pass code from him to download.see the A-Team section in these forums to get the info to get a pass code.they have lots of interesting items there.

the site web addy is http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

Yep, I sent Capun a PM and he replied that he is uploading the Dolphin and HP 0/400 to the D/L section.

Oh boy. :)

A few planes for the Expansion Pack. Some of the Ateams...thanks again guys.

It is taking some time, simple conversions work (but not so simple! large amount of effort to get exact), but not quite how I'd like them to be for many/most planes, for the new game at least.

AI is different as well. Most importantly there is so much more you can do now as well, I've been fiddling endlessly....and will continue to do so. N17s as well.

So consider these the first of a number of iterations.

But they are good I'd say :rolleyes: .

EP_Beta_1.0_Snipe_PfalzD3_SchuckertD3.zip

Edited by peter01

A few planes for the Expansion Pack. Some of the Ateams...thanks again guys.

It is taking some time, simple conversions work (but not so simple! large amount of effort to get exact), but not quite how I'd like them to be for many/most planes, for the new game at least.

AI is different as well. Most importantly there is so much more you can do now as well, I've been fiddling endlessly....and will continue to do so. N17s as well.

So consider these the first of a number of iterations.

But they are good I'd say :rolleyes: .

Take your time. We'll appreciate it even more!

Thanks again for the effort.

sinbad

Do the weapons of the Pfalz work? the bombs and rockets... heared there was something with the weapons builder that needed an update... has that happened?

Do the weapons of the Pfalz work? the bombs and rockets... heared there was something with the weapons builder that needed an update... has that happened?

I don't think add on weapons work yet.but a work around is to open the loadout and change the addon weapon types to stock types untill things get fixed.

Some more... the Bréguet, FE2c, Re8, Nieuport28.

Included is a loadout file for the Bréguet.... Br14_LOADOUT, courtesy of the A-Team. Needed to use bombs for EP1. Just put in same folder as the Bréguet data.ini, overwriting the old file.

Some other plane FMs I posted here also require some new Loadout files, and will upload shortly. The FE2c is fine.

Have called the Fe2b the Fe2c. The Fe2 was a multirole plane until early 1917, this Fe2c is a pure bomber/recon with dates of mid 1917- late 1918. Made them different, as the Aircraft Roles needed to be defined differently in the FM, otherwise it would undertake fighter roles in 1918. It will be the same FM as the Fe2b, just different roles. So by renaming data.ini to Fe2b and changing roles (change dates too!) in [MissionData] section at top of data.ini, you will also have the Fe2b. Or do this by copying the [MissionData] stuff from the original data.ini from the A-team .

So copy your Fe2b folder, rename it Fe2c (exactly), and put the Fe2c.ini file in the Fe2c plane directory with the new data.ini. You should keep theFe2b as a seperate folder in the game install anyhow, otherwise decals won't show up for the Fe2c.

The Re8 is TKs...just made it so you can take off in Hard FM (just, with a bomb load!!) - it didn't before. I use the salmson cockpit done by somebody some time ago with adjustments - available here at CA. The Re8 is fun to fly, beautiful model.

EP_Beta_1.0_Br_guet_FE2c_Re8_Nieuport28.zip

Edited by peter01