Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

New BSG "game"

Well, I saw the new BSG game at Best Buy this weekend, but so far I've not heard anything very complimentary about it. Considering its bargain price, I can't say I'm too surprised. All I CAN say is I don't know why they went this route. Between the awesome combat in the show and the depth of the story I think they dropped the ball here.

Anyone try it? I understand it's on XBLA as well as PC.

Saw it, looks completely arcade and have seen no favorable reviews. Agree that I was expecting so much more, looks like they dotted off the license without checking on who was buying it...typical

I've downloaded and played the demo campaign. I've found it to be really great and has an excellent "as real as it gets" feel (as long as you believe you can fly & fight in space). Too bad the demo is very short, but the multiplayer is functional. No big ships yet, but you'll get vipers and cylon raiders as well.

Be warned it is pretty hard, even on easy, too hit those frakking cylons.

If you liked "Beyond the Red Line" (this BSG total conversion using FreeSpace 2's engine), I know that a polish member of the FS2 community released an add-on for the demo. It was called "Battlecruiser Archangel" or something like that. At the moment I can't find the release thread, but like many FS2-related releases you can find it on Hard Light Production (I already linked to this site in the Wing Commander Saga thread). The author's nickname is shiv_pl.

EDIT: just found it. It's here.

Edited by DySkO

awesome, will give it a try tomorrow...also just saw the BF2142 mod for star wars "first strike"...maybe it will make playing 2142 enjoyable

Another BSG conversion is Fleet Commander for Homeworld 2. Totally different kind of game, but if you enjoy strategy games it's really worth a try even in beta stage.

STUPID question inbound: hey do I need freespace 2 to play the mod? Didnt know if since it came out like in 1999 they just took the engine (kind of like how you can play counter strike without ever playing half-life)

If so, where do I acquire freespace 2...I mean amazon had it for $34.99 for an 8 year old game...

STUPID question inbound: hey do I need freespace 2 to play the mod? Didnt know if since it came out like in 1999 they just took the engine (kind of like how you can play counter strike without ever playing half-life)

If so, where do I acquire freespace 2...I mean amazon had it for $34.99 for an 8 year old game...

To play total conversions like "Beyond the Red Line", "Wing Commander: Saga" and "The Babylon Project" (and also some FS2 related ones, like "Inferno Alliance Standalone" (still not released, as of today), of which I'm a beta tester :biggrin: ) you don't need the original FreeSpace 2. The engine was made open source in... err... 2002 I think.

If you want to play FS2: the .exes of FreeSpace Open (as has been named the upgrade to the original FS2) are legally downloadable from HLP since they are freeware, but for it to work you will some original files. At this point, before linking to Turey's Installer (the installer which installs the original files from the net, used by many of the newbies in the FS community and accepted as almost-legal by the admins of the bigger FS forums, like HLP and Game Warden), I need to ask an admin if I can link to it... after all, Interplay still owns the copyright for the original files needed.

Edited by DySkO

USAFMTL and Fates said I can post a link :biggrin:

Turey's Installer allows you to download all the files needed to enjoy FreeSpace Open (original game files, exes of the 3.6.9 build both for playing the game and using the mission editor, and the 3.6.8 zeta graphical enhancements (more known as MediaVPs)). Probably the installer will be updated shortly due to the upcoming release of the 3.6.10 build and 3.6.10 MediaVPs (although you can download everything separately, like a more recent but unofficial build with more features and the public beta version of the 3.6.10 MediaVPs).

Just a little note about original game files: Interplay still owns the copyright for those files, so in theory it's not legal to download them in this way. However, Interplay knows about the installer, and hasn't threatened Turey of any legal action. The installer is considered legal by the FS2 community, and admins of FS forums encourage its use, especially for newbies.

The installer contains executables for the Windows, Linux and Mac versions, but since the mission editor (that is the feature that probably allowed FS to remain alive) is not cross-platform yet, only Windows users will be able to use it. Linux users can try to rune it in WINE (but looks like it has some bugs), and Mac users can create missions with a text writer (it's extremely difficult, but it's possible).

The installer also allows you to install optionally the most famous mods released so far. It contains:

-FSPort: the campaign of the original FreeSpace 1 + Silent Threat expansion converted for use with the FS2 engine. Models, voice files and cutscenes are included. There is also the port of the Awakenings campaign, considered to be the best campaign ever released for FS1.

-Derelict (SCP version): it's considered the best campaign ever created for FS2. It comes with many enhancements to make it work with more recent builds of FSOpen. It's one of the few voice acted third-party campaigns.

-Homesick: another great campaign. Due to a bug in the 3.6.9 build, some missions are broken, so you should download a more recent build.

-Deus Ex Machina, Just Another Day and Just Another Day 2: Electric Boogaloo: those 3 campaigns are a parody of the FreeSpace series. You should also download Just Another Day 3: Shivans on a Plane (not included in the installer) if you liked them!

-Transcend and Sync: both from the same author, they are probably the creepiest campaigns ever created. They almost trasform FS2 in a sort of horror game.

Obviously, there are many other mods not included in the installer. The must-have are:

-Terran-Vasudan War Project: it will be set in the 14 years-long war between Terrans and Vasudans, the final part of which can be played in the first missions of the FS1 campaign.

-Inferno: Release 1 and Inferno: Alliance: the first is set in the years following the FS2 campaign, while the second is set in Sol between FS1 and FS2. Both mods will be re-released as standalone mods.

-The Procyon Insurgency: one of the few campaigns which allows you to play as a Vasudan, it's set right after the end of the FS2 campaign.

-Shrouding the Light: another campaign which allows you to play as a Vasudan, it's set between FS1 and 2 and puts the player against the terrorist Vasudan faction known as Hammer of Light.

-Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius: it tells the return to Sol, 18 years after the FS2 campaign.

You can find other mods on Hard Light Production and Game Warden.

I've been working on a campaign named "Steadfast", but now there are other people working on it due to Real LifeTM. Now I'm working on a mini-mini-campaign named "The Final Countdown" (it's based on a movie. Guess which one :biggrin: ). Obviously, ETA is 2 weeks :tongue:

Oh, if somebody wants a multiplayer fight, just PM me and I'll see what I can organise!

Hey I just saw Fate's Beyond the Red Line gallery...man if you didnt want to download it before, you will after you see that!

Maybe you could be interested in this.

You'll need FreeSpace 2 Open to use them (I haven't tried using them with BtRL, but I think it will screw up everything). There are no missions in the pack, if you want to use them you'll have to create a mission with the editor. The model for the Battlestar is not included, so the game will crash if you use it.

If you don't know how to get it working, post here or send me a PM. I'll help you ASAP.

Thanks! will give it a try...just gave up on First Strike and man I was hoping to get that one to work (a star wars mod of BF2142)

So, what about BSG games?

Does that "freespace Freelancer 2 BSG mod" works? :smile:

I am really interested, and can't find the said game in europe...

So, what about BSG games?

Does that "freespace Freelancer 2 BSG mod" works? :smile:

I am really interested, and can't find the said game in europe...

Yep, Beyond the Red Line works fine. :smile:

But what you can't find? If you are looking for Beyond the Red Line in a shop, you'll never find it since it is a freeware standalone total conversion :tongue:Link

If you can't find FreeSpace 2, don't worry because you don't need it. If you want FS2 anyway, PM me.

Thanks for the advice, gentleman.

I downloaded it and ran quickly in it. Great so far, can't wait to see the full version!

Oh, I was shoot down by a cylon raider in my first engagment. Great!

Hello everyone!

Like DySkO, I come from the FreeSpace community(my link on Hard Light Productions, Sectorgame and Game Warden is "Mobius"). I know most members of the BtRL team and I can easily contact them. In case you have problems, add me on MSN.

:D

Hello everyone!

Like DySkO, I come from the FreeSpace community(my link on Hard Light Productions, Sectorgame and Game Warden is "Mobius"). I know most members of the BtRL team and I can easily contact them. In case you have problems, add me on MSN.

:D

Oh, hi Mobius!

He is the one who is now working on the mod I started a lot of time ago.

Well there are many WIP projects...

There are many BSG related mods like the already mentioned Battlecruiser Archangel(we both know Shiv, the creator). I was planning to create a few missions using my cutscene techniques(they're possible with the mission editor) but I had to abandon the miniproject due to the complete lack of time.

Well there are many WIP projects...

There are many BSG related mods like the already mentioned Battlecruiser Archangel(we both know Shiv, the creator). I was planning to create a few missions using my cutscene techniques(they're possible with the mission editor) but I had to abandon the miniproject due to the complete lack of time.

Do "They", the modders, need a central place to start hosting the mods? Would be more then happy to accomodate.

Do "They", the modders, need a central place to start hosting the mods? Would be more then happy to accomodate.

Hard Light Production, Game Warden and Sectorgame are already hosting them, but I bet some minor modding teams or individual modders may find this place useful :yes: