Sign in to follow this  
Peter Brooks

So what do you recommend?

I've installed FE and the expansion and the new skins. However should I wait for the 'patch' before adding other mods/aircraft/effects/screens etc.??

That would be advisable, as you don't know what mods are going to be incompatible with the patch.

If you've already got the expansion installed then you effectively have "the patch" already albeit going by previous experience there will probably still be a "hotfix" to correct some small details that always get through beta testing but get found out in general release.

Other than that you're on your own installing existing mods until they are updated as necessary (I suspect that terrains etc. will be fine but aircraft fms have changed).

You might want to make sure that you have a backup clean copy that you can always revert to (1 of the beauties of this series is that you can run many different installs & that backing up is a simple copy & paste without registry entries too).

Thanks for this advice....so the Expansion is the 'patch' and any other 'patches' will be hotfix to the newest release

confused???...not really...

Again, I recommend JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler so you can switch mods in and out in minutes.

A mod doesn't work w/ the new version?

- Just switch it out and remove it.

New patch came out and you need to revert back to stock?

- Just switch ALL mods out, patch and then switch back those that should work.

I would not mod w/o this tool.

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

so the Expansion is the 'patch' and any other 'patches' will be hotfix to the newest release

confused???...not really...

Not quite.

The Expansion is built to the latest standard for the game engine but there may be some very minor glitches in the Expansion (& specific to it) requiring a hotfix to correct.

The patch (in reality several different ones for the different games) will bring other games in the series upto the same standard of the game engine as the Expansion pack.

The Camel 130 I'm sure will be hotfixed, as will other stuff. That's why I have my pre-Exp modded version still as well as my non-modded Exp install. :grin:

What exactly is the definition of "hot fix" - the first patch for FE EP1 - or something else?

Well usually hotfix it's a sort of patch that is released quickly to fix some really nasty issues that make game unplayable.

Well usually hotfix it's a sort of patch that is released quickly to fix some really nasty issues that make game unplayable.

Yea, that's what I thought. And I think we may be waiting awhile because I don't see any "really nasty issues". just a bunch of nigling ones.

hotfixes usually address very minor issues & aren't considered large enough to be a patch.