Sign in to follow this  
madmonk

Flying through treacle

Whats going on? Just started the campaign but the plane is so slow its practically stalling at 230 mph and if you sustain a turn it almost stops.The inferior Migs out turn me, with no chance of getting on their six. Is this the same for everyone? or just me!!!!!

Whats going on? Just started the campaign but the plane is so slow its practically stalling at 230 mph and if you sustain a turn it almost stops.The inferior Migs out turn me, with no chance of getting on their six. Is this the same for everyone? or just me!!!!!

You must provide more details, as to the aircraft types involved, etc. F-4 Phantoms, for example, maneuver best at 400-450 KIAS.

A MiG-17 will easily outmaneuver an F-4 below that speed, and can maneuver fairly well, right on down to 200 KIAS. Never get into a turning fight with a 17 at 300 knots, as it will be on your six in less than one full turn.

A MiG-21 will also outmaneuver an F-4, even at 450 KIAS, and it can sustain almost 9 Gs at that speed. It bleeds off airspeed badly, though, and it takes a while for it to unload and get back up to speed. Its limited fuel capacity also hurts it in a prolonged dogfight.

HELLSO MADMONK YES I AM HAVE TEH SAME PROBLEM WITH THOSE MIG PLANES YOU NEED TO EDIT YOU INI FILE TO MAKE YOU PLANE BETTER THEN IS EASY TO KILL LITTLE MIG PLANES. I THINKS THE DEVELOPOR OF THIS SIM IS MAKES THE MIG PLANES BETTER THEN THA USAF PLANES ON PURPOSE BECASE HE IS SOME KIND OF COMMUNEST OR SOMETHING WITH HIS LITTLE MIG PLANES.

To madmonk:

Actually, most of the models are pretty accurate, as far as I know. The F-4 wasn't designed to fly slow or to turn, and neither were mose american planes, come to think of it. Just use the sheer brute force of your engines to get you out of trouble.

To Grosse Hosen:

Actually, changing the stall and manuver speed is really called cheating. If you just wanna blow 'em up, fly with everything on "easy". MiGs were designed to manuver, and that's just the way it is.

also, I think your caps lock is stuck.

To madmonk:

Actually, most of the models are pretty accurate, as far as I know. The F-4 wasn't designed to fly slow or to turn, and neither were mose american planes, come to think of it. Just use the sheer brute force of your engines to get you out of trouble.

To Grosse Hosen:

Actually, changing the stall and manuver speed is really called cheating. If you just wanna blow 'em up, fly with everything on "easy". MiGs were designed to manuver, and that's just the way it is.

also, I think your caps lock is stuck.

rgr that, I fly the f-4 a lot and when i encounter migs i just take them into the verticle and with my stronger engines they cant stay with me. once they start to fall back i just nose over and let them have it! :biggrin:

HELLSO MADMONK YES I AM HAVE TEH SAME PROBLEM WITH THOSE MIG PLANES YOU NEED TO EDIT YOU INI FILE TO MAKE YOU PLANE BETTER THEN IS EASY TO KILL LITTLE MIG PLANES. I THINKS THE DEVELOPOR OF THIS SIM IS MAKES THE MIG PLANES BETTER THEN THA USAF PLANES ON PURPOSE BECASE HE IS SOME KIND OF COMMUNEST OR SOMETHING WITH HIS LITTLE MIG PLANES.

Then You're amateur when can't kill Migs with F-4 Mig Killer without cheating of flight characteristic. :rofl:

You could get in Mig's turn in close combat with F-4. Try "Hi Yo Yo", It works great in this sim. Many Migs went down thx to this maneuver and cannon. Hammerhead is another maneuver where You can beat weaker Mig-17.

Edited by Joe Hallenbeck

heck, I just douse them with the proton torpedoes to bring their engines down, then hit them with the ION cannon to take their shields down...

Or just get a TIE Interceptor and dogfight with the MiG-17!

Or just get a TIE Interceptor and dogfight with the MiG-17!

Oh boy oh boy, no shields, life support, or ejection seat, how could it go wrong?

What, you never pulled an 'Admiral Zarrin', and installed shields on your T/Is??? (or T/Bs for that matter....)

Somebody's never used XvTEd....

Wrench

kevin stein

What, you never pulled an 'Admiral Zarrin', and installed shields on your T/Is??? (or T/Bs for that matter....)

Somebody's never used XvTEd....

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey, when I wanted shields, I flew the TIE Advanced.

I only had the X-Wing Collector's thing, not XvT.

What is XvTEd?

You guys that want to dogfight MiGs should try the F-11F Tiger. 4 winders and 4 20mms and she's a MiG killin' machine. :wink:

XvTEd, is the editor for, well...XvT!!! Mission creation, ship "adjustments" (want ion cannon on you Corvette? just chek a box),displayed messages, all mission goals, briefings...you name it!

There's also one for XWA.

I've 'reedited' all the original XW, TF and about 1500 3rd party missions for use with XvT (the originals can't be posted, but wind up somewhere else anyway... :wink: ) Most are on my site. These are conversions from the original DOS XW & TF, updated and some are reaallllyy good!

Wrench

kevin stein

You guys that want to dogfight MiGs should try the F-11F Tiger. 4 winders and 4 20mms and she's a MiG killin' machine. :wink:

You don't need any other plane than F-4.

You could dogfight against Mig-17 with F-4 without problems. You only need to know something about Robert Shaw tactic of air battle and have cannon on central pylon. Nothing more, nothing less.

:good:

Oh boy oh boy, no shields, life support, or ejection seat, how could it go wrong?

Well would you rather fly a TIE Interceptor and know that you have killed about 8 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 1 B-Wing, and 29 A-Wings

Or

Fly an A-Wing get no kills then fly very fast and get hit and smash into the Executor?

sounds kinda like the F-8....

Come to think of it, I always wondered how the Tiger flew...

The F-8 was the reason the F-11F didn't make it as a fighter for long. The Tiger in the game is pretty manoeuverable. May not quite turn inside a MiG but its quick enough to get some good deflection shots in. Watch those flat spins. :biggrin:

I just finished a Cold War campaign flying the F-11f. It was and is a good airplane and it will dogfight with the best of the Migs for its day. The Sidewinder was new(AIM-9A,AIM-9B) when it was around the fleet. So they were put on the F-11f,for a longer range shot.

It was a stopgap aircraft until the new F-8 became available.

The Blue Angels flew them(F-11's) for a long time until they converted to F-4's. :good: