Sign in to follow this  
JKstar

How can I fly helicopters?

There are lots of flyable helicopters in the "Download" section, but I can't control any of these helicopters in the air, they are shaking all the time and then crashed, everytime...How can I fly helicopters? Thanks!

There are lots of flyable helicopters in the "Download" section, but I can't control any of these helicopters in the air, they are shaking all the time and then crashed, everytime...How can I fly helicopters? Thanks!

The game engine wasn't designed for helo simulation, therefore any copter flying is more a matter of "as close as" rather than real simulation. I don't even bother trying, and I use the helos as a/i and eye candy. I've read that it takes very minute inputs and a steady hand to have any kind of control.

It can be done my friend. It just takes practice!!

Fly it carefully with small control inputs and don't try to hover as zero knots don't work.. you'll just tip up and crash. Try 25-30 knots as a starting slowest speed... you can land at 15-20 knots.

YAP (Yankee Air Pirate) have some good models which are as close to a flight model as you can get with the Thirdwire game engine but you have to pay for the priviledge. Actually I don't find that much difference between the YAP flight models and the ones you can download here for free but that's just my view.

Once you've got the hang of it they are good fun and an extension of the great Thirdwire sim series but you do need patience and don't give up if you crash the first few times. You need to set the flight options to normal (I wouldn't use the easy or hard mode) and go gently.

Have fun and after a while you'll be landing on carriers with no problem!!

Best of luck.

Kreelin is working on some helo FMs that are amazingly good, considering the constraints imposed upon him by the flight engine.

It can be done my friend. It just takes practice!!

Fly it carefully with small control inputs and don't try to hover as zero knots don't work.. you'll just tip up and crash. Try 25-30 knots as a starting slowest speed... you can land at 15-20 knots.

YAP (Yankee Air Pirate) have some good models which are as close to a flight model as you can get with the Thirdwire game engine but you have to pay for the priviledge. Actually I don't find that much difference between the YAP flight models and the ones you can download here for free but that's just my view.

Thanks very much! I usually set the flight option to hard, in order to get as close as to the real world, I'll try normal mode next time :yes:

Kreelin is working on some helo FMs that are amazingly good, considering the constraints imposed upon him by the flight engine.

It's coming... As soon as Marcfighter gets his rig back :biggrin:

It was not easy to bypass the game flight engine constraints but the result is better and better for lite helicopters like the Agusta or Gazelle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ5TvtshpE

Edited by kreelin

Gents,

Today I finally managed to create a third type of Helo FM. Initially I've worked on a specific FM for player only. The result is not that bad but the fact that the AI cannot handle the FM was a real fun killer (except for an online party). So I modified step by step my player FM until AI can do the basic with it....

See the result

4x AI Agusta taking off for a quick CAS near their homplate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLV8oF0a9U

Edited by kreelin

:blink: Just amazing!

This is definite a step into a new aspect of the TW series.

Good work, kreelin! :good::ok:

I did some changes in my Helicopters Data ini for make it takeoff and landing like a real one. And it works. So I decided to shear with you.

It’s work for all Vertical Flight Aircrafts and Helicopters. ( F-35E – Harrier- MV-22B- &…… )

Please backup your original file before any changes.

For AH-64D

[FlightControl]
StallSpeed=1 ---------------------------------------------------     you can make it more or less  
CruiseSpeed=67.02
ClimbSpeed=52.733
CornerSpeed=270.0  -------------------------------------------   you can make it more or less  
MaxG=18.00  ---------------------------------------------------
MaxSpeedSL=74.01
MachLimit=0.218
PitchDamper=0.8
RollDamper=0.4
YawDamper=0.1

// Airbrakes -------------------------------------------------------------

[LeftAirbrake]
SystemType=AIRBRAKE
DeployTime=3.0
RetractTime=1.5
AnimationID=
ModelNodeName=
InsideNodeName=
DragArea=35     --------------------------------------------------   you can make it more or less  
MaxDeploySpeed=326.4

[RightAirbrake]
SystemType=AIRBRAKE
DeployTime=3.0
RetractTime=1.5
AnimationID=
ModelNodeName=
InsideNodeName=
DragArea=35      ----------------------------------------- you can make it more or less                   
MaxDeploySpeed=326.4

Harrier

[FlightControl]
StallSpeed=3  ----------------------------------------------   you can make it more or less
//CruiseSpeed=197.35
CruiseSpeed=267.35
ClimbSpeed=260.60
CornerSpeed=220.27   ----------------------------------------------    you can make it more or less
LandingSpeed=72.27
MaxG=14.80  ------------------------------------------------------------    you can make it more or less
MaxSpeedSL=380.79
MachLimit=1.30
PitchDamper=0.8
RollDamper=0.4
YawDamper=0.0
GunBoresightAngle=0
RocketBoresightAngle=0

// Airbrakes ---------------------------------------------------------

[LeftAirbrake]
SystemType=AIRBRAKE
DeployTime=0.50
RetractTime=1.5
ModelNodeName=
AnimationID=6
DragArea=11   ---------------------------------------------   you can make it more or less

[RightAirbrake]
SystemType=AIRBRAKE
DeployTime=0.50
RetractTime=1.5
ModelNodeName=
AnimationID=6
DragArea=11  --------------------------------------------------    you can make it more or less

in easy mode

For Harrier take off. first do with Elevator down and throttle up than take off .and for landing do Elevator down  first than Air break and reduce throttle  

It works for all Helicopters, landing or take off too.

have fun  :baby:
Edited by Bamzi