Sign in to follow this  
Rover

Digital Elevation Maps

Hello everybody!!!

I would like to know where I get the DEM Data (Digital Elevation Maps) for build new terrains, and I would like to know how I can convert them into HFD files.

Thanks!!!

Guest Saganuay82

GTOPO30 is your search word for the internet.

GTOPO30 is your search word for the internet.

Thank you very much!!!

The next step to terrain creation following DEM files: Bash your head against the wall until you are unconcious.

Use the Thirdwire Terrain Editor... Import a DEM and export an HFD/TFD... No bruising required :no:

The next step to terrain creation following DEM files: Bash your head against the wall until you are unconcious.

:rofl: You got that right. My hat is off to those talent folks who have figrued it out.

TE is not hard to use at all, actually when I got it, I was suprised how easy it actually is to create the terrain. HOWEVER the insane part of terrain creation is placing targets, now THAT is pretty comparable to banging your head against the wall until you are unconcious and when you make sure you are unconcious then bang your head against the wall some more. I think Wrench is Shaolin monk, there's no way a "plain mortal" would do all that and stay sane :biggrin:

I think Wrench is Shaolin monk, there's no way a "plain mortal" would do all that and stay sane :biggrin:

shaolin_250.jpg

:rofl:

Guest Saganuay82

Target placement will be easy one we see the return of Dark_AU.

Target placement is easy, once you learn to see and think in XY co-ordinates...

And who ever said I was sane????? :crazy:

HF: I really like that image!!!

Wrench

kevin tein

Along that same vein, I'd like to give you an example from the 'not messing with something when you don't know how it works' department....

I was just fiddling with the TE, to try to flatten some new airfields in my 'Modern Darwin' map....

and destroyed it!!! There goes 1 1/2 months of work (and yes, NO backup!! -- hence, again the importance of backing things up!!!)

Keeps crashing out with a 'terrainengine.dll' fault, which means I did something to the HFD or TFD files.

Here's the weird bit....they were originally the stock tfd and hfd from Edwared WW2 Darwing terrain; the only modifincations were to the types and targets; copying the ones from the ww2 install does nothing....still crashes out.

Where's that brick wall again???

Wrench

kevin stein

If your a modder, you should have either a CD or a second hard drive plugged in at all times. The 2nd hard drive would be the easy and fast way to copy backups to, so much so, you do it often with no loss of time. The second drive does not have to be large at all.

Oh yea...making terrains and working in the TE is as easy as predicting the flight path of a Super Ball down a cobble stone street.

I actually do it with one hand tied behind my back. I have to .... it hinders me from opening the bottle of Jack and loading the revolver.

Guest Saganuay82

LOL

Why are you still using a wheel gun??? This is the 21st Centruy...autoloaders have been around for quite some time now.

AND...you can use the trigger guard to open beer bottles (or lock the slide back and do it that way.... :ok: )

Wrench

kevin stein

Again: Thank you! Now, I have searched for a software to create new terrain tiles. I found some like T2 and Terragen. However, could you recommend other programs to create new terrain tiles and textures?

Excuse me for my bad English, I used a translator.

That's interesting Wrench, an automatic for Russian roulette... :fie: just as long as the other guy goes first...

That was kinda the idea...and a double action to boot!!!

I'll probably go back and start the whole process over again, adding one target area at a time...after we (A-Team) get finished with the Marut, Dora 9 and 152. Then, of course, the new Aussie airfields will still need flattening...eh, whatever!

It's doing the same thing in a completly new install, in a my clean version of WoE. So methinks it's an ini problem somewhere, or perhaps an object fault. But I've usually seen, if an object is missing, it just dosen't show up. (ww2 still works fine, so whatever it is, I cuased it!!!)

Something for another days...

Wrench

kevin stein